The 'Doesn't Quite Deserve Its Own Thread' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It turns out our club has the smallest injury list in the competition with only 3 players on it and if Luke Brown pulls up it will be 2.

It feels like no coincidence that when the club has so many players to choose from it just happens to be doing rather well on the field.

The only negative from the injury list is all 3 players are good enough for the first team. Fortunately Luke Brown appears to have dodged a bullet after doing what appeared to be a nasty injury on the weekend and he'll be back in the team if not this week, next week. He's a very important part of our backline structure and one of the most impressive young footballers we have in our team. People talk about Atkins, Knight and Laird, but seem to forget to talk about Luke Brown so I'm taking some extra time here to talk about how solid of a footballer he has been for our club. I think he is the most forgotten footballer on our team and I think that's a credit for him because no one is criticising him (after all, criticising is what we do best on BigFooty). His ability to beat his opponent is crucial considering he finds himself in numerous 1 on 1 battles at our defensive end.

So moving on, Brad Crouch has been a loss for us this season. I think coming to the end of the season we seem to have him covered fairly well, but it can't be stated enough a firing Brad Crouch can help our team go from being a good team to a great team. I know one player doesn't do that, even if it's Danger or Fyfe, but considering how outstanding our youth are playing at present, him being the cherry on top would give me huge confidence that we can do damage in September.

I still think we can do damage in September, but I think our team looks a lot more scary if Brad Crouch is lining up in it.

Matty Jaensch is a victim of his injury. He, unfortunately, has left the door open for someone else to come in and our backline looks very solid. We do miss his silky disposal skills at times, but we've been able to cover his loss. Unless they want to move Laird up the ground permanently (I think Luke Brown makes a more sensible choice to stand the best small forward), I'm not sure if Matty can break back into the team next year, minus injuries to other players. He'll have to be eying off 2017, which is a long way away, unfortunately for him, but it's great to see some real depth to our team.

We are slowly building depth which is fantastic and by depth I mean guys who are good enough to play AFL, but won't be good enough to be in the team. That's great news for the fans, now hopefully we can have a good remainder of the year, nail the offseason trades, signings and draft, and elevate ourselves into a final 4 threat next year, with or without Danger.

Good post

If Danger goes (just sign the frickin' contract Paddy..) then B Crouch is a big part of replacing him

Of course, having both is even better

You can ask them to unsubscribe when you knock them back.

I had to do it when they called 3 times in a fortnight to sell the tickets a couple of years ago. In the end, the tickets they did send are still sitting on my bookcase unsold.

They used to send them to me but haven't for a while

Might have something to do with sending the book back unsold:p

Anyone hear Taylor Walker on Triple M this afternoon? Brad Crouch stitched him up pretty good, he rang in pretending to be a fan named Glen with a son that was disappointed that he tried to get Tex's autograph and Tex was annoyed at them approaching him in public. Tex took the bait and was completely fooled for a while before putting 2 and 2 together. Matty Jaensch tried to join the party afterwards but ended up pissing himself laughing before he could tell his story. Good times.

Papa G

2015 Clanger Rankings (totals)
#3 - Travis 'Clangers' Boak :p
#14 - Brad 'Clangers' Ebert
#16 - Robbie 'Clangers' Gray

:D

I would have posted this on your board, but we all know how Ford gets when the 2nd best team in Adelaide has a win!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-...t-during-doping-scandal/6743954?section=sport
AFL accused of deceptive conduct during Essendon supplements scandal

giphy.gif

I'd say there's no chance the "fraud" allegation will be sustained.

Isn't there a huge waiting list for the silver memberships, so if you didn't take it up, you go to the back of the line..... So if an Essendon supporter were offered one, there is not much chance they would have said no even if they knew about sanctions. And the finals tickets are not the sole benefit of buying one.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone hear Taylor Walker on Triple M this afternoon? Brad Crouch stitched him up pretty good, he rang in pretending to be a fan named Glen with a son that was disappointed that he tried to get Tex's autograph and Tex was annoyed at them approaching him in public. Tex took the bait and was completely fooled for a while before putting 2 and 2 together. Matty Jaensch tried to join the party afterwards but ended up pissing himself laughing before he could tell his story. Good times.
He was probably drunk.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...ways-a-fair-deal/story-fnjuhrq4-1227519975881

Interesting article by David Schwarz...

CONTRACTS. Front ended. Back ended. Overs and unders.

Other than the finals, this is the main game in town.

Now the silly season has started for 10 AFL clubs, inflated egos and sales techniques of managers come to the fore as disgruntled players quit clubs or clubs kindly march underperforming soldiers out the door.

Clubs invest in players and when their investments don’t hold up to the intended value it is fair enough to be disappointed.

I want to break it down.

story-fnjuhrq4-1227519975881

Let’s take Travis Cloke as an example.

If the Collingwood forward pocketed the reported $700,000 his contract states, then he earned $20,000 a goal this year.

Nice.

Now Gold Coast captain Gary Ablett has two Brownlows and plenty of runs on the board, but after playing just 21 games in two years his financial return has been pretty poor.

With $1 million a season he’s received $100,000 a game.

Staggering.

For Ablett, as with many other top players, injury can’t be avoided, but when you accept the big money the implications on your absence are huge.

For Carlton to fork out $60,000 to Dale Thomas for every goal he kicked in the past two years at the club looks ridiculous.

Unbelievably North Melbourne has given Daniel Wells $1 million for 14 games and eight goals in two seasons.

When you put it in clear figures, $250,000 a goal sounds extraordinary. I might pull on the boots. I got paid a lot for missing about 100 games so I get it.

Ben Reid has earned $100,000 a game for the past two years at Collingwood.

It’s cost Sydney $12,000 for every Kurt Tippett goal.

Yes, I understand very well that players can still get paid handsomely for not hitting the park, but these massive wages affect the take-home salaries of the undervalued workhorses.

I’d love to see the guys who get “unders” start getting rewarded.

I’ve written in this column about my admiration for Mark Blicavs. He is such a versatile and important player. He would be on $250,000 and his output is extraordinary.

Similarly Tom McDonald from Melbourne was dominating the defence and will be critical as the team continues to develop. I doubt he’d be getting more than $300,000. That price should go up.

At the Bulldogs Liam Picken has lifted his status so high I hope he won’t have another contract as low as the current one.

Under the guidance of new coach Luke Beveridge, Picken has gone from tagger to game turner. He’s a bona fide midfielder now and this new Doggies pack will continue to improve, and so will the financial reward they deserve.

I was disappointed not to see Brisbane ruckman Stefan Martin in the All-Australian 40 released on Tuesday.

HOT DOGS READY TO ROLL

He has brilliant figures and the Lions would have got him cheaply from Melbourne when it punted him. He wouldn’t be on much, and he’s certainly giving the struggling club value for money.

Timing is everything. I understand the complexities that list managers must deal with. Should they front load a contract or back-end it to ensure the potential star stays when he hits his peak. The machinations are endless.

Every club has players overpaid and players underpaid. Unfortunately we can’t give weekly pay cheques depending on performance.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...ways-a-fair-deal/story-fnjuhrq4-1227519975881

Interesting article by David Schwarz...

CONTRACTS. Front ended. Back ended. Overs and unders.

Other than the finals, this is the main game in town.

Now the silly season has started for 10 AFL clubs, inflated egos and sales techniques of managers come to the fore as disgruntled players quit clubs or clubs kindly march underperforming soldiers out the door.

Clubs invest in players and when their investments don’t hold up to the intended value it is fair enough to be disappointed.

I want to break it down.

story-fnjuhrq4-1227519975881

Let’s take Travis Cloke as an example.

If the Collingwood forward pocketed the reported $700,000 his contract states, then he earned $20,000 a goal this year.

Nice.

Now Gold Coast captain Gary Ablett has two Brownlows and plenty of runs on the board, but after playing just 21 games in two years his financial return has been pretty poor.

With $1 million a season he’s received $100,000 a game.

Staggering.

For Ablett, as with many other top players, injury can’t be avoided, but when you accept the big money the implications on your absence are huge.

For Carlton to fork out $60,000 to Dale Thomas for every goal he kicked in the past two years at the club looks ridiculous.

Unbelievably North Melbourne has given Daniel Wells $1 million for 14 games and eight goals in two seasons.

When you put it in clear figures, $250,000 a goal sounds extraordinary. I might pull on the boots. I got paid a lot for missing about 100 games so I get it.

Ben Reid has earned $100,000 a game for the past two years at Collingwood.

It’s cost Sydney $12,000 for every Kurt Tippett goal.

Yes, I understand very well that players can still get paid handsomely for not hitting the park, but these massive wages affect the take-home salaries of the undervalued workhorses.

I’d love to see the guys who get “unders” start getting rewarded.

I’ve written in this column about my admiration for Mark Blicavs. He is such a versatile and important player. He would be on $250,000 and his output is extraordinary.

Similarly Tom McDonald from Melbourne was dominating the defence and will be critical as the team continues to develop. I doubt he’d be getting more than $300,000. That price should go up.

At the Bulldogs Liam Picken has lifted his status so high I hope he won’t have another contract as low as the current one.

Under the guidance of new coach Luke Beveridge, Picken has gone from tagger to game turner. He’s a bona fide midfielder now and this new Doggies pack will continue to improve, and so will the financial reward they deserve.

I was disappointed not to see Brisbane ruckman Stefan Martin in the All-Australian 40 released on Tuesday.

HOT DOGS READY TO ROLL

He has brilliant figures and the Lions would have got him cheaply from Melbourne when it punted him. He wouldn’t be on much, and he’s certainly giving the struggling club value for money.

Timing is everything. I understand the complexities that list managers must deal with. Should they front load a contract or back-end it to ensure the potential star stays when he hits his peak. The machinations are endless.

Every club has players overpaid and players underpaid. Unfortunately we can’t give weekly pay cheques depending on performance.

Menzel must be getting about $500,000 a game at least? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back