News Dons ASADA scandal (Latest: Pg 101 - CAS verdict. Guilty, 12 months.)

Remove this Banner Ad

It still staggers me that the central character in all of this hasn't been interviewed. I can't see where any of this is going to be honest. The naming of the players is neither here nor there to me. Clearly ASADA is leaking like a sieve. I have very little confidence in these government investigative bodies. Like the old NCA. Lots of bark, but very little bite. And a very poor record of convicting anyone of anything

WADA will simply ask the club why no records were kept regarding what exactly was injected into the players.
What kind of organization conducting an experiment of this nature, doesn't record every little detail in order to know what works and what doesn't?
That's the kicker.

Irrespective of what the players knew, if they have received banned substances that have obtained a competitive advantage and will be punished of it.

I was certainly not surprised Hibbard was one of the named.

Last edited:
EPA, C
It still staggers me that the central character in all of this hasn't been interviewed. I can't see where any of this is going to be honest. The naming of the players is neither here nor there to me. Clearly ASADA is leaking like a sieve. I have very little confidence in these government investigative bodies. Like the old NCA. Lots of bark, but very little bite. And a very poor record of convicting anyone of anything
EPA, ComCare, WorkSafe, Fisheries, Consumer Affairs (and there are many others) are all Government Investigative bodies that run about 200 prosecutions each every year.
All Public Records

As much as I hate Essendon, I do wish the players were somehow exonerated in this mess. I've always held the view they were being directed by the club to undergo injections, and ultimately they would have had 100% faith and trust in the club doing the right thing by them.

It's the club which has let them down, and ultimately if the players are suspended, then I hope the punishment of all the officials (Hird namely) is much more severe than the what the players get. For Hird to get 12 months fully payed holiday as punishment is a joke, and AFL handled this incredibly poorly.

I hope WADA come in over the top of everyone and really whack the officials with life time bans.

Just when you thought this couldn't get any weirder;

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/stephen-dank-finds-new-path-in-sport-20140301-33snt.html

Dank is the new fitness chief of the Women's IPL, no chance of ASADA getting him now, he'll probably move to India lol.

You can't make this s**t up.:drunk:

The rumour is that ASADA leaked the names to several media outlets, with amazingly Caro being one of the few who decided not to name them.
Given the HUN's position throughout this i can't help but think it's come from Essendon. I can't quite work out how it benefits them though. Looking for public sympathy? I don't think that'd work. Trying to cloud and discredit asada? More likely

Given the HUN's position throughout this i can't help but think it's come from Essendon. I can't quite work out how it benefits them though. Looking for public sympathy? I don't think that'd work. Trying to cloud and discredit asada? More likely
The "conspiracy theorists" are suggesting that Essendon may have leaked this story to basiclaly clear the other 30 + players who were involved with the club during the time.

I doubt that would be true as you would basically be throwing 14 people under the bus just to take some pressure of another group.

Seems more likely that the Herald Sun and other media organisations were given a sealed report from ASADA that was supposed to remain private but instead the Hsun decided to report the names. Now as to why ASADA would even give this report to the media in the first place, well that makes about as much sense as ASADA usually makes.

There needs to be some sanctions. Players have admitted to taking banned substances. Could you imagine if a team did this and won a flag? It's bad for the AFL and they need to make sure it never happens again. Losing a coach for the year and some draft picks is weak and not enough of a deterrent to other clubs.

When you look at what happened to Carlton, Adelaide and Melbourne this is weak. If half the team gets suspended then noone will try this again. Surely Hird cannot come back. He is broken now to a lot of fans. I loved him as a player but I don't think I can look at him as a coach in the same way ever again.

I find it amusing that there was so much outrage and media furor over Marley Williams' playing status because of an external issue that was being dealt with by the courts, yet we have 12 potential dopers (granted not of their own volition) who are currently cleared to play.

This code is quickly becoming a farce.

I find it amusing that there was so much outrage and media furor over Marley Williams' playing status because of an external issue that was being dealt with by the courts, yet we have 12 potential dopers (granted not of their own volition) who are currently cleared to play.

But to be fair none of them have been found guilty of anything (yet)

This is easily the most monumental clusterf#ck disaster to have hit a club since the inception of the AFL. Clubs have strayed and paid big time in the past but the players have always been seperated from blame for events outside of their control. I have no love for Essendon but nobody wants to see players having the screws put to them and especially not like this. Like they haven't been subjected to enough already, yet now there's more to come?
It seems this will drag on well into future if indeed the players are subject to sanction by a governing body. Essendon may well find themselves being sued by their own for loss of earning potential or miriad other issues which may arise affecting this playing group. The sheer scope of the potential fallout in years to come is surely beyond anybody's current reckoning. To speculate that this could eventually lead to Essendon as a club, ceasing to exist in its current guise isn't all that far fetched.
I only hope that common sense can prevail in any potential moves to sanction players. The mitigating circumstances would have to weigh heavily in favor of the players were they to be subject to suspension or bans of any sort.
That they weren't the architects or even part of the implementation of the program to which they were subject must surely be the deciding factor in how this is dealt with.

You are acting like they are victims...they are not victims, they are cheats. They only have themselves to blame and should be sanctioned to within an inch of their lives.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But to be fair none of them have been found guilty of anything (yet)

I understand that they haven't been found 'guilty' of anything, but they've effectively admitted to being administered banned substances. My point is that there is so much outrage over 'saving face' with the AFL in terms of suspending players convicted of a crime, despite an expansive court system taking care of meting out justice, yet we face a massive internal issue with major ramifications for the actual code as opposed to just the 'image' of it and they seem happy to just give out limp wristed justice to a couple of administrators instead of anything significant.

It sti
I understand that they haven't been found 'guilty' of anything, but they've effectively admitted to being administered banned substances. My point is that there is so much outrage over 'saving face' with the AFL in terms of suspending players convicted of a crime, despite an expansive court system taking care of meting out justice, yet we face a massive internal issue with major ramifications for the actual code as opposed to just the 'image' of it and they seem happy to just give out limp wristed justice to a couple of administrators instead of anything significant.
It still has to be proved.
If I admit I robbed a Bank, does it mean I robbed a Bank?

Personally I wouldn't like the players to be too harshly sanctioned, but I have a feeling that some big suspensions are about to be handed out.
Yeh but you can't have one set of rules for footballers and be harsher on better athletes like cyclists

That's something you have to post on afl and the h-sun twitters

This is easily the most monumental clusterf#ck disaster to have hit a club since the inception of the AFL. Clubs have strayed and paid big time in the past but the players have always been seperated from blame for events outside of their control. I have no love for Essendon but nobody wants to see players having the screws put to them and especially not like this. Like they haven't been subjected to enough already, yet now there's more to come?
It seems this will drag on well into future if indeed the players are subject to sanction by a governing body. Essendon may well find themselves being sued by their own for loss of earning potential or miriad other issues which may arise affecting this playing group. The sheer scope of the potential fallout in years to come is surely beyond anybody's current reckoning. To speculate that this could eventually lead to Essendon as a club, ceasing to exist in its current guise isn't all that far fetched.
I only hope that common sense can prevail in any potential moves to sanction players. The mitigating circumstances would have to weigh heavily in favor of the players were they to be subject to suspension or bans of any sort.
That they weren't the architects or even part of the implementation of the program to which they were subject must surely be the deciding factor in how this is dealt with.
WADA/ASADA sabre rattling, keeping their name in the media. Pure and simple.

Th eother fascinating thing is the evolving relationship between the ex Coach an dthe current President. Its appearing Hird was paid almost to muzzle him, ensure he wont speak to the press.
Not too sure that he will/can return under Little. If this was my club and a genuine legend was in this position it woul dbe incredibly difficult to cut him loose. When it come down to the devastation that has occured and continues, you have to put your faith in the Club.
These players being named doesnt mean a great deal other than, if correct, it identifies who may be in strife; as opposed to the naming being a portent to sanctions.

I have to admit, it's a bit odd that this basically went away as finals started and now it's coming back into the spotlight just as the season is starting.. What's the go there?

Spoke to my uncle today who works in radio, word around is that Essendon are ****ed. Infractions WILL be handed out to Watson and other players during the season.

Dons season is over before is begins, god bless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back