List Mgmt. The Pre Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take the best available player at 37 ( weather it be a mid , small forward etc ) and pick up a KPD in the Rookie Draft.

J Lonie at the feet of Tippett/Buddy wouldn't be bad. MVP and averaging 2 goals a goal but might struggle to get in Horses forward line as he is only 177cm.

Looks like a Merrett sort who Ess took last year.

Cockatoo I wouldn't think would be at our pick but looks impressive. Killed it GF day

Last edited:
Definitely best available with pick 37.
The ship has sailed a bit on the KD (or the trade ban forced our hand), the problem isn't lack of KD anyhow, as we still have:
Grundy, T. Richards, Johnson, X. Richards, Allir, Davis + Reid who can fill in down there, Laidler and Rampe have shown they can play as under-sized talls, we'll also likely rookie draft a 'project' or 'mature age' KP player.
The main problem is a lack of ready made experience besides the 1st 2 (+ AJ injuries and Ted possibly slowing down). We actually have more KD depth than KF depth (which is why I'm starting to think Horse will almost certainly leave Reid forward).
Ted should still be able to play at a competent level next year, it's just he should be taking the 3rd talls at this stage of his career - have to hope he can hold on and go with the no 1 forwards for one more year. AJ really is the missing puzzle piece, can't expect to much from him though next year even if he can get fit.
Hopefully that the player who comes from the clouds (and one does every year) just so happens to be a X Richards, Allir type. They're both actually better sizes to play on the modern forwards anyway, if one could come in and do what AJ did as a 3rd tall in his first season it would make a world of difference, and you never know until you play them, Reid was actually able to hold down CHF ( a much harder position imo) to a decent level at 19 years old.

I see Knightmare has put Oscar McDonald (Melbourne players brother) down as our pick at 37... doubt he'll last that long but there's your KPD reinforcement if it happens. Would make for a good draft.... although I'm still filthy we don't have a 2nd live pick.

I don't take any notice of phantom drafts as its all that persons opinion and especially on BF I wouldn't listen to. I just wait and see what the club does and there is nothing any of us can do about it. We can all say who we want, but at pick 37 , no one has any idea

Who is knightmare

A guy looking to get into the scouting game. He does a phantom draft each year. What ever you think of phantom drafts he does seem to have put the work in... anyway, here's what he said about McDonald

Oscar McDonald (VIC – KPD) Height: 196cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 18/03/1996
Recruited from: North Ballarat
Draft range: 30-70
Best position/role: Centre half back.

Strengths:
1v1 ability – McDonald has the strength to hold his position in the contest and consistently win the 1v1 contests, often out bodying opponents in the contest and generally reading the flight of the ball better. He often takes 1v1 marks and makes the right choices as to whether he can take the mark or needs to get the spoil in.
Ability to read the flight of the ball – McDonald is excellent at reading the flight of the ball anticipating where the ball will go and getting there for the easy intercept mark. He makes good decisions as to when he can leave his direct opponent for the intercept mark or when he needs to stay with them. He also in the 1v1 contest reads it superbly, reading the drop of the ball and protecting the drop of the ball for the easy mark.
Movement and athleticism – McDonald for a tall moves very well. He is very mobile for his height and has very good agility. He has very good closing speed and can stay with opposition forwards. His endurance is excellent, staying with his opponents and covering the ground well over the course of games. He also has a good leap on him and is competitive and able to get stops in the air whether that be a spoil or mark.
Ability to limit the influence of direct opponent – He is a good height, has the strength to beat his opponents 1v1 in the contest, is good in the air and can shut down his opponents on the lead. The one knock defensively from a shutdown perspective is his second and third efforts can at times be slow and mean he can at times get exposed against if the ball goes to ground and his opponent is quicker following up the ball at ground level.
Rebounding from the back half – McDonald is generally a relatively efficient user of the ball from the back half. He can hit his targets up the ground and at times will kick low, long passes up the ground and be the one starting the offense himself with his drive out of the back half. He is also at times willing when the opportunity is there to provide some run and carry out of the back half.
TAC Cup form – McDonald has had a terrific season at TAC Cup level and was rightly awarded the TAC Cup coaches award. He had a consistent season and has the performances on the board as one of the best performed if not the best performed key defender this year between his ability to negate the influence of his direct opponents and to take intercept marks and provide rebound himself.
Versatility – While McDonald is best suited as a key defender he has also shown that he can go forward and as required kick a goal. He is relatively clean with his pickups at ground level, tackles strongly and reads it well coming into the front half so while it is not something I would necessarily want him to have to do regularly at AFL level it is something as required he can do.

Weaknesses:
Slow when it hits the deck and slow second and third efforts – The main time McDonald gets exposed is when the ball hits the deck, he can at times be slow reacting and if his opponent is a quicker ground level player he can get exposed. Also his second and third efforts are not up to the expected standard at this stage; as good as he moves he lacks that quickness reacting at times to get to that next ball and then move onto that next play quickly enough.
No U18 Championships games – McDonald as terrific as he has been through the TAC Cup has not received the opportunity to play through the U18 Championships and missed that opportunity to play against the better competition in the country and as a result his form may be less exposed compared to some other draft prospects.

What I expect will improve:
I expect McDonald largely will continue to improve his two way game as a stopper and rebounder and to continue his natural development.

Who he can become?
I see McDonald developing into something like a poor man’s Alex Rance as someone who can beat his direct opponent but also be involved as a rebounder from the back half.

When will he be ready to play?
McDonald could receive senior opportunities as early as season two but I anticipate in season three if the opportunity is there that he establishes himself as a regular best 22 player for a team.

How to best utilise him?
McDonald is best utilised at centre half back.

Interpretation of his numbers:
McDonald’s numbers have been excellent at TAC Cup level by position. He finds plenty of the ball. Takes his mark per game and contested mark per game numbers are excellent by position. His ball use has generally been relatively efficient. He has also done a terrific job limiting the influence of his direct opponents and stopping them from achieving their usual numbers and influence on games.

Need a genuine KP defender. We don't need any more smalls unless there is a very good slider. We have 3 smalls in the next 2 drafts locked in and a utility in Hiscox coming. We need to replace Richards. McDonald would be perfect but I doubt he will be available with the Western Bulldogs needing the same thing and having 2 picks in the late 20's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They must be anticipating a couple of sliders. Hard to see any picking 35 of the top 36 players exactly. Someone will slide and we will jump on them.

Yeah, I was just screwing around, the other two are Heeney and Hiscox.

That should be the end of the thread
Mate, love that you're able to get the inside word on the team and you have more footy knowledge than I ever will but I'm glad you're not a mod, because there would only be one thread open: McVeigh is a s**t campaigner (NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS ALLOWED).

Mate, love that you're able to get the inside word on the team and you have more footy knowledge than I ever will but I'm glad you're not a mod, because there would only be one thread open: McVeigh is a s**t campaigner (NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS ALLOWED).
There would actually be 5 threads:

"AJ injury updates"
"TDL and Jetta are cats"
"McVeigh needs to stop pointing and start being useful" (I would post in this thread)
"Discussion of St Scum (NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS ALLOWED)" (I would also post in this thread but would prefer to discuss Norf)
"Why bunghole is an idiot"

haha, very good. I only saw this as it came up on alerts. I just reckon you wait to see what we do and as we only have one pick , its worse. Having said that I will wait for the Draft and SF51 , I could find a couple more, like The Hawks are arrogant scum or Eddie should be put down.

Weaknesses:
Slow when it hits the deck and slow second and third efforts – The main time McDonald gets exposed is when the ball hits the deck, he can at times be slow reacting and if his opponent is a quicker ground level player he can get exposed. Also his second and third efforts are not up to the expected standard at this stage; as good as he moves he lacks that quickness reacting at times to get to that next ball and then move onto that next play quickly enough.
No U18 Championships games – McDonald as terrific as he has been through the TAC Cup has not received the opportunity to play through the U18 Championships and missed that opportunity to play against the better competition in the country and as a result his form may be less exposed compared to some other draft prospects.

IF we believe anything Beatson says we will not draft him because of this.

You listen to his interview after last years draft he pointed out that they don't take KPP that go to ground all the time etc etc.

Will wait and see

Last edited:
Best available. If McDonald is there then he will probably be view as best value. Not sure about best available player, certain best available CHB.

More I think about it, the more I feel we will take slider/best available and get a mature KPD in rookie from state league in case of injury. Coaching staff seem happy to wait on AJ, AA, X. Richards and possibly converting Reid for KPD posts. Just my two cents

Why do we need a teenage KPD when we just drafted one last year? If your argument is that we lack depth in key defenders, an 18 year old won't fix that next year. Similarly we wouldn't need an 18yo ruckman when we just drafted one last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back