The Ebola Virus / Outbreak

Remove this Banner Ad

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this.

There are predictions from the CDC that around 1 million people could be infected by January next year. At a mortality rate over at least 50% that's 500,000 people dead within four months. That is a rate of dying probably not seen since the influenza outbreak in 1918.

Little is said about the spread of disease after it reaches 1 million people. It's almost like the unsaid reality of that is "oh well, we're ****ed" as the next consequence. To me it would seem the disease would be impossible to contain without shutting down the modern global economy.

The race is on to find a vaccine, and there is hope there will be one found by the end of the year. Even so, a mass vaccination program around the world would probably see similar rates of dying from vaccination as happened with smallpox vaccination. It would be the kind of risk that those who are litigious and anti-pharmaceutical might not want to take.

This article suggests that ebola might just become a thing humanity has to live with for a while, like it did with smallpox, tuberculosis, polio etc for centuries.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-ebola-outbreak-that-never-really-goes-away/

Anyway, this is the thread for all your ebola news!

There is on on the General Discussion board with some informative posts on it for anyone who is concerned.

It is intersting that it's so far in the backgroudn, media wise. 'Out of the West & Middle East, out of mind?"

Despite what some panic merchants might think, Ebola is a poor candidate for a world wide pandemic.

Also for those who throw their arms up in the air re: the death toll, I will remind you of the humble mosquito and Malaria. Far and away the no.1. killer of people.

Still, it's a scary bastard.

There is on on the General Discussion board with some informative posts on it for anyone who is concerned.

It is intersting that it's so far in the backgroudn, media wise. 'Out of the West & Middle East, out of mind?"

Despite what some panic merchants might think, Ebola is a poor candidate for a world wide pandemic.

Also for those who throw their arms up in the air re: the death toll, I will remind you of the humble mosquito and Malaria. Far and away the no.1. killer of people.

Still, it's a scary bastard.
Is that because of the high mortality rate? I think the fear is not that it becomes a pandemic, but that it becomes endemic in human populations.

Malaria is still the worst disease, but it has been around forever and is declining.

It seems you scare easily. Do you sleep with the light on?
You guys are the ones scared of Ebola and ISIS. So don't give me that crap.

I'm more concerned about the 'solutions' to these problems i.e. forced vaccinations, wars and erosion of civil liberties.

Problem - Reaction - Solution. Works every time on the foolish masses.

You guys are the ones scared of Ebola and ISIS. So don't give me that crap.

I'm more concerned about the 'solutions' to these problems i.e. forced vaccinations, wars and erosion of civil liberties.

Problem - Reaction - Solution. Works every time on the foolish masses.
The only one showing any signs of fear in this thread, and possibly the whole forum, is you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe Ebola is quite easily quarantined and restricted, where there are first world infrastructure and capabilities, as it's not overly contagious (in that it needs direct fluid contact), which means it won't spread to far from where it is now.

How about that Capitalism fellas? Pretty swell economic system, amirite?

You will never know because we, um I mean *they* will take over his account and continue to post so as not to alarm the BF community.
There will be tells IMO. The content of his posts will be constructed in such a way that the text forms Illuminati symbology.

Just keep a look out for any triangle or all seeing eye patterns in his posts, then you'll know he has been gotten.

Would widespread disease really be all that bad at this point?

Just throwing it out there. Its going to happen either by war or with this.

I believe Ebola is quite easily quarantined and restricted, where there are first world infrastructure and capabilities, as it's not overly contagious (in that it needs direct fluid contact), which means it won't spread to far from where it is now.
Unfortunately those first world structures do not exist where the problem is right now. They are in urgent need of staff and facilities. Just donated to Doctors without Borders (MSF).

I find the virus to be absolutely fascinating.

Anyone here read 'The Hot Zone' by Richard Preston? Charts the outbreaks of Ebola and Marburg from its discovery until about the early 2000's.

The virus is frighteningly brilliant in its simplicity. Its only real weakness is that it's so deadly it doesn't give itself enough time to spread as effectively as it might otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back