The end for Big John?

Remove this Banner Ad

royboy 29

Debutant
Mar 1, 2007
melbourne victoria
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Hope it's not right,but the scribes are saying Browmie may have played his last game after being injured yesterday.While not a fan of Brisbane i do love the big fella,he's been a champ and plays hard.As i say i hope it's not right.

Hope it's not right,but the scribes are saying Browmie may have played his last game after being injured yesterday.While not a fan of Brisbane i do love the big fella,he's been a champ and plays hard.As i say i hope it's not right.

He spent a lot of time in the Fitzroy rooms growing up and makes no secret of the love he had for our club. Legend. Had the pleasure of spending an hour with him one day one on one as I drove him around the Darling Downs, the most genuine bloke ever.

I think Browny will play on next year - I feared the worst on Saturday night, but there are even suggestions he may come back and play the last couple of games this year.

Unfortunately I think Simon Black will retire after the end of this year though. Though he is not directly linked to Fitzroy, IMHO he is in the top echelon of the greatest Lions players of all time (Fitzroy included) - and another great person as well. If Black does retire he will fall short of Kevin Murray's games record (not that he could ever take Kevin's Fitzroy record, but the Lions often refer to records in two categories - Brisbane Lions records [for the most part post 1997], and combined Club records [including Fitzroy]).

Either way I hope they both get to play in the last game of the year in Geelong.

I think Browny will play on next year - I feared the worst on Saturday night, but there are even suggestions he may come back and play the last couple of games this year.

Unfortunately I think Simon Black will retire after the end of this year though. Though he is not directly linked to Fitzroy, IMHO he is in the top echelon of the greatest Lions players of all time (Fitzroy included) - and another great person as well. If Black does retire he will fall short of Kevin Murray's games record (not that he could ever take Kevin's Fitzroy record, but the Lions often refer to records in two categories - Brisbane Lions records [for the most part post 1997], and combined Club records [including Fitzroy]).

Either way I hope they both get to play in the last game of the year in Geelong.

It will be sad to see them go but it's inevitable. I seriously think Browny can go another year, Blacky probably could too. Browny would be great as a stay at home full forward and there is no reason Blacky couldn't play a small forward role, he'd kill it!!

Mark- Carlton had the one and only Big John but Fitzroy has…

Little Joan,Little Joan

Sat’day mornin' at Brunswick oval you can see her arrive
She stands four foot ten and weighs less than eighty five
Kinda narrow on the game plan but a Presi who is hip,
everybody respects, you don't give no lip to Little Joan ,
Little Joan, Little Redroy Joan

Nobody seemed to know where Joan called home
She just landed at St Vincent’s Hospital in Fitzroy and looked after the sad and alone
She had much to say, not quiet nor shy
So if you didn’t speak at all, you always got a, "Hi", from Little Joan

Somebody said she was of south east means

and in bygone years supported her brother at De La and the Kangaroo teams
Then a junior footy vocational call saw her take a stand
that brought her to, Fitzroy YJFL,
the Promised Land,
YJFL Joan, Little Joan, Little Redroy Joan

When ‘96 came Fitzroy were at the bottom of the AFL pit
The Commissioners and other Presidents mostly washed their hands of it
Dyson, PLH and Elaine gave their all but the backroom dealers
said their good deals were non complyin’
through it all though DH-L and his team never stopped tryin’

Players were prayin' and hearts beat fast
and most of the club thought that they'd breathed their last,
but not Joan ,
YJFL Joan, Little Joan, Little Redroy Joan

Through years in the mud and the mire of this man made hell
in red gumboots walked a giant of a woman
that the juniors knew well;
with Billy Atherton
and Sharon T,CL,JR,KW
and even ol’ Hille
once again without a grumble or a groan
they saw that Fitzroy was not abandoned or alone,
led by Joan, Little Joan, Little Redroy Joan

And with all of their strength they’ve given a mighty shove
So don’t talk of relegation "There's a light up above"
When Fitzroy make it in quick time to Premier A
The AFL assassins will be old and grey

Now as Fitzroy climbs, long since from that worthless AFL money pit,
At the Brunswick Street stand they should (one long off day) place a marble monument
in front of it
And these few words should be written on that stand
“Behind this Club when death threatened the biggest bulwark amongst them all was
a little woman,
Little Joan, Little Joan, Little Redroy Joan".

Footnotes: weights and heights are imperial of course! Accreditation to Jimmy Dean.

Go Roys, Go Rogers, Go Lions, Go Lyon, Go to bed!

I heard Big John (the song) on the radio on the weekend,stated laughing when i was reading your version about our Joan. Clever stuff George 111

Just hearing JOnno talk on the footy show.

Saying Roos was a well respected Fitzroy servant.
Last I heard he jumped a sinking ship back in 94-95?

Just hearing JOnno talk on the footy show.

Saying Roos was a well respected Fitzroy servant.
Last I heard he jumped a sinking ship back in 94-95?

Perhaps you could provide some further details of what happened back then. Seeing that you appear to be in the know about what transpired between Roos and Fitzroy.

Just make sure in your explanation you also mention that Fitzroy tried to trade Roos to Collingwood in 1990.

So Browny has finally retired - I thought I would share a good quotes / articles:

Brown would have played for Fitzroy under the father-son rule had the Roys hung on as a club. One can only imagine the life that a supremely talented young giant such as Brown would have breathed into the old club.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...rue-character-of-the-game-20140623-zsj8b.html

I was fortunate enough that I was a Lions supporter as a young fella, as my father Brian played for Fitzroy. My heart bled for the Lions from the very start, so it made it a lot easier to bleed for the cause … It's probably come at a price to my body, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-and-announces-retirement-20140623-zsj1m.html

http://www.standard.net.au/story/2371704/jonathan-brown-how-good-was-he/?cs=12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back