Certified Legendary Thread 34 Essendon* Players suspended for doping violations - No opposition fans. Check OP for thread rules

If Essendon* gets slapped on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf, I will .......

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking that CAS have already decided. 34 players guilty with penalties backdated, so there will be no suspensions.
Backdated from what date? If CAS sees this as systematic doping then there's no way in hell they'll reduce the penalty to such that it is effectively zero.

It's entirely at CAS' discretion and complex cases like this don't simply take a week or two to decide.

These people don't deserve any backdating and perhaps that was the long term plan from Essendon - attempt to delay it as much as possible because they knew they were going to be found guilty eventually so try to minimise the fallout as much as possible. And that means hope for backdating because of "administrative delays".

Backdated from what date? If CAS sees this as systematic doping then there's no way in hell they'll reduce the penalty to such that it is effectively zero.

It's entirely at CAS' discretion and complex cases like this don't simply take a week or two to decide.

These people don't deserve any backdating and perhaps that was the long term plan from Essendon - attempt to delay it as much as possible because they knew they were going to be found guilty eventually so try to minimise the fallout as much as possible. And that means hope for backdating because of "administrative delays".

I'm not disagreeing with your logic, i just reckon backroom deals have been done. Maybe a two week token suspension over the pre-season?

I'm not disagreeing with your logic, i just reckon backroom deals have been done. Maybe a two week token suspension over the pre-season?
There can be no backroom deals done with CAS. If they allowed even the slightest hint that they were open to backroom dealing, the whole concept of an independent tribunal of arbitration would disappear out the window.

As Thrawn said... if there is the slightest hint that this will be seen as a systematic doping regime with the players being complicit in it, there can be no backdating to reduce the penalty to zero.

Essendon* are all like, but the players took a 4 month voluntary ban in the leadup to the original afl tribunal. So we should be backdated to then.

* em... they took a 4 month holiday, with pay, to try and show that they were willing to accept their punishment... so long as it was backdated to the end of the previous season... and I bet that they already knew that the fix was in.

EFC still picking ex-players in draft & rookie draft. Looks like they think they may need extra experienced players.
They need a dose of ******* reality as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Santa may yet bring us all a nice present :

The World Anti-Doping Agency has highlighted the watershed BALCO case, which condemned international stars such as Marion Jones without any positive tests, as a relevant precedent for prosecuting Essendon footballers.

Speaking to Fairfax Media from his organisation's Montreal headquarters, WADA director-general David Howman has described how the most powerful anti-doping regulator framed its Court of Arbitration for Sport challenge of an AFL tribunal verdict that effectively cleared 34 players.

"Quite simply, if the BALCO cases had been decided under the principles followed by the AFL tribunal, none of the BALCO people would have been sanctioned," Howman said as the CAS panel continues deliberations ahead of a verdict announcement expected before Christmas.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/wada-likens-essendon-to-balco-case-20151127-gl9uxt.html#ixzz3snQ0WT3q
Follow us: @canberratimes on Twitter | CanberraTimes on Facebook

th

This is weird ........ Essendon were going to draft a Collingwood player who is already suspended for using PED's even though they quite possibly will get an almighty bullocking from WADA :

Collingwood used their first selection in Friday's rookie draft on Lachlan Keeffe because they suspected Essendon was interested in the suspended defender.

It is understood the Pies became aware in the lead-up to the national draft that the Bombers were considering Keeffe with one of their late selections, and believed they might take him as a rookie once he was overlooked.

This is despite the Bombers having a number of players still awaiting the Court of Arbitration for Sport's verdict on WADA's appeal, and facing possible suspensions.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwood-feared-essendons-interest-in-suspended-defender-lachlan-keeffe-20151127-gl9rmk.html#ixzz3snQvpVEG
Follow us: @canberratimes on Twitter | CanberraTimes on Facebook

Good to see WADA remind the AFL how insignificant they are in terms of WORLD sports.

Happy to override the local decision to protect their ability to take down bigger and more important targets.

Liking the sentiment.

Channel 7 sports news had a piece on the bombers today.
The reporter finished the story with the club and the AFL are concerned with how the CAS hearing went.

That is interesting. It matches what I've heard. I heard earlier in the week from a very good source that things did not go well in the hearing for Essendon*. Not well at all. Of course this doesn't necessarily mean they will be found guilty, but it's not a great sign for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back