Certified Legendary Thread 34 Essendon* Players suspended for doping violations - No opposition fans. Check OP for thread rules

If Essendon* gets slapped on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf, I will .......

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those in the know a bit more than myself, what do the Essendon* players respond to with the Show-Cause notices? And what happens after that?

For those in the know a bit more than myself, what do the Essendon* players respond to with the Show-Cause notices? And what happens after that?
They respond with reasons why they should not be infracted and an independent review panel assesses their case. If the panel decides the evidence makes a case, it goes to an afl doping tribunal, which decides guilt, innocence and penalty. ASADA can over ride the afl via cas if they deem penalty insufficient and WADA can appeal as well. Will be hard for the afl to fix a dodgy outcome.

I expect light penalties given via a deal with ASADA and nothing going to the tribunal. But they will miss games. Perhaps half the season.

They respond with reasons why they should not be infracted and an independent review panel assesses their case. If the panel decides the evidence makes a case, it goes to an afl doping tribunal, which decides guilt, innocence and penalty. ASADA can over ride the afl via cas if they deem penalty insufficient and WADA can appeal as well. Will be hard for the afl to fix a dodgy outcome.

I expect light penalties given via a deal with ASADA and nothing going to the tribunal. But they will miss games. Perhaps half the season.

Well my delusional essendon supporting boss reckons he has heard one month, watching him babble on today I thought this poor twit has lost the plot, and the I thanked any higher being who may have been listening that it isn't our club

Thanks mate. Is this independent panel, independent of ASADA as well as the AFL? Or is this the AFL panel?

Well my delusional essendon supporting boss reckons he has heard one month, watching him babble on today I thought this poor twit has lost the plot, and the I thanked any higher being who may have been listening that it isn't our club
My guess is the six months minimum allowed but half of it in the off season. Be enough to stuff up Essendons 2015 so will do me, but it's a bit unfair that some teams will play their Vfl team and others a fully fit and fresh best 22.

I'll be interested to see what suspensions they end up getting, given Saad got 18 months just for taking the wrong protein powder.
A VFL players got 2 years for ordering a substance that contained a banned ingredient over the internet. A VFL player got 2 years for taking the same protein drink as Saad did.
It seems that AFL players are treated differently.

No, two VFL players got banned, one for taking the same drink as Saad did on match day and another for ordering a substance over the internet that was intercepted by customs.
Both got 2 year bans. Saad only got 18 months.
ASADA actually appealed for Saad to get the full two year ban, but it failed.

ASADA actually appealed for Saad to get the full two year ban, but it failed.
I know they did. Just pointing out that Saad got 18 months and a VFL player got the full 2 years for the same offence. As far as i know the VFL player cooperated. AFL players are educated on the WADA code so have less of an excuse.

I know they did. Just pointing out that Saad got 18 months and a VFL player got the full 2 years for the same offence. As far as i know the VFL player cooperated. AFL players are educated on the WADA code so have less of an excuse.
I am worried that the AFL tribunal will dish out a very lenient penalty. Take a guess who heads it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, what I want to know is...

When will the AFL charge * with bringing the game into disrepute? Surely, having done it for "governance issues" and making a big deal about it being only for that, they are now obliged to do it for being drug cheats...

Shall I hold my breath?

I am worried that the AFL tribunal will dish out a very lenient penalty. Take a guess who heads it?
Yeah I agree.

It's all very well to decide the players were duped and have suffered enough and let them off with a ban that's not a ban but if you follow that line of reasoning then the buck stops with those who duped them. The club.

The club that has not been brought to account for doping, only for governance.

Somebody has to pay the piper here. They can't let the players off with backdated bans, and then allow hird, Thompson and Reid to continue on their merry way.

Haven't been following it lately, but I am not liking this talk about penalties during the off season etc: What happened to the WADA bosses saying that other teams and players around the world got 2 years for the same thing

If the AFL risks handing out too light a penalty, it will leave ASADA no choice but to take it further. After 20 months of compiling "12,000 pages of evidence, which the ASADA Chief says is comprehensive and compelling" its hard to see ASADA accepting a lenient AFL tribunal penalty without a fight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back