Certified Legendary Thread 34 Essendon* Players suspended for doping violations - No opposition fans. Check OP for thread rules

If Essendon* gets slapped on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf, I will .......

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I firstly want to see a guilty verdict, or an incredibly watertight rationale for why they arent guilty.
Players suspended. Would prefer 12 months, but if its only 6 months, i'm ok with that as long as there are club based sanctions. Hird sacked, the doc sacked, paul little to stand down. A further fine to the club, and further loss of draft picks (loss of first rounder, and moved to the end of each other round - particularly if they are likely to finish lower on the ladder due to having to field a top up team for half the season).

I would also like to see all players made eligible for free agency at the end of the season should they wish to leave the club.

If your membership is reliant on all of that then I guess the club can kiss your dollars away.

Might be the cynic in me, but when the players get bans for drugs, I don't think the AFL will have the gumption to punish Essendon again with more club penalties such as fines or draft picks.
That an interesting issue ShanDog. If the players are found guilty, you would think they would HAVE to punish the club as well: the players were doped and they did the doping. I think what is happening with Dank being up as well is that they hope a life ban for him will make him the fall guy under the good old rogue operator scenario. But he is a loose cannon and the club have never tried to pin it on him because he obviously knows where the bodies are buried - they tried to pin it on Robinson and then had to pay him $2 million to keep quiet. ASADA is after Dank, for good reason, and it is the AFL and not the club who could turn him into the fall guy in order to allow the club to wriggle free.

What they can't do, however, is claim that Essendon have already been punished: that was for governance, not doping.

Guilty verdict for the player opens a huge can of worms regarding who has to be held accountable for doping them because somebody has to be.

I agree with you Big Sim, I just think the AFL won't want the bad PR storm that will happen when they are perceived to have punished essendon twice if they can get away with collaring them for the governance only. Despite it being just, public perception will probably go against the AFL if they did and I think they know that.

Again, it's just my cynical view on it and they could surprise me.

I agree with you Big Sim, I just think the AFL won't want the bad PR storm that will happen when they are perceived to have punished essendon twice if they can get away with collaring them for the governance only. Despite it being just, public perception will probably go against the AFL if they did and I think they know that.

Again, it's just my cynical view on it and they could surprise me.
No, I actually think most people would want to see Essendon done for the doping as well and the backlash would be the other way.

And regardless of that, I can't see ASADA and WADA letting it happen: this is something of a test case with regards to team doping and if the world sees that you can run a doping regimes at your club and get away with it it is a Pandora's Box rather than a can of worms.

No, I actually think most people would want to see Essendon done for the doping as well and the backlash would be the other way.

And regardless of that, I can't see ASADA and WADA letting it happen: this is something of a test case with regards to team doping and if the world sees that you can run a doping regimes at your club and get away with it it is a Pandora's Box rather than a can of worms.

The AFL will view suspension to players as punishment to the club.

Really they should have competition points stripped for 1 season. To pay back for the season the cheated in.

The AFL has done Essendon* for poor governance of their medical program. However, they can go them again under the team sanctions section of the ASADA and WADA codes for a team doping violation. I dont think that anyone is going to be jumping up and down about doing Essendon* for this. They did the crime... now they have to pay the piper for St Jimmy's ego writing checks in the chase of premiership glory.

Also... if they got 7 week or 6 month bans, they will have had to provide significant assistance and have a no knowledge defence. Unfortunately... they have provided no assistance apart from the interviews and have actually tried to hinder the case by joining Essendon* and St Jimmy in seeking to have the ASADA evidence thrown out in an effort to get the case dismissed or delayed again significantly while ASADA regathers the evidence. And their no knowledge defence is straight out the window. They signed consent forms... they were then obligated to research what they were being given and they took the word of Stephan Dank and St Jimmy that everything was close to the edge but was above board.

The AFL will view suspension to players as punishment to the club.

Really they should have competition points stripped for 1 season. To pay back for the season the cheated in.
No, this would not make sense...the accepted narrative in the media, even by Caro, is that the players were duped and they will have their suspensions halved because of it. This would mean that those who doped them not only broke the WADA code but did it without the players knowledge or consent, compounding he crime. There would have to be punishment. However, if they do make Dank the fall guy, you could be right, the suspension of the players and the governance punishment may be presented by the AFL tribunal as enough of a whack for the club.

It won't satisfy a lot of people though, including, you would have to think, WADA.
Also... if they got 7 week or 6 month bans, they will have had to provide significant assistance and have a no knowledge defence. Unfortunately... they have provided no assistance apart from the interviews and have actually tried to hinder the case by joining Essendon* and St Jimmy in seeking to have the ASADA evidence thrown out in an effort to get the case dismissed or delayed again significantly while ASADA regathers the evidence. And their no knowledge defence is straight out the window. They signed consent forms... they were then obligated to research what they were being given and they took the word of Stephan Dank and St Jimmy that everything was close to the edge but was above board.

You are correct in your assertions Dram but I think the fix is in and them attending interviews and answering questions openly and honestly will be seen as substantial assistance. And I think the consent forms will be used to show how they were duped, rather than show how they were culpable.

Six months, backdated to the date of the INs.

Dank banned for life, unleashes a firestorm of legal action against all and sundry, dirt dished left right and centre.

No further action against the club and Hird survives.

WADA to appeal.

****. Not like banned! I've almost got a positive like to post ratio.

I take it back! LIKE IT.

Positive post/like ratios are sooooooo 2014...

I earned mine back when they were cool...:cool:

These days it's all about how many of your posts get deleted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much happier for Essendon* to cop more draft sanctions then actual loss of premiership points.

Most of all, I want James Hird removed as coach and out of our lives for good. If Hird of owned up to misdeeds and apologized, I would be more forgiving, but the lack of contrition from Hird is the most galling aspect of this saga ..

Dank banned for life, unleashes a firestorm of legal action against all and sundry, dirt dished left right and centre.

No further action against the club and Hird survives.

WADA to appeal.

Dank should be banned for life and should be injected with as much crap as he has injected into the players... "IF" he was an ethical business man, he would have already come forward with all the evidence to show what he was doing was all above board- end of story.

If Tird survives it will be the biggest crime in the history of our game, you can not have a coach who over saw an injection of all sorts into fit young men resume his post, after his players, under his watch receive bans for using prohibited or unknown substances. How can you then turn around and put him back in charge of these players after they have served their bans???

:D

If somone had asked me for the quinella...I'd have had you first with Tony Lynn 15 as the runner up...

Not Tony Lynn 15, he is the cult figure of this board, it would be like finding out Santa isn't real when you were a kid all over again, if TL15 is a deleted post buzzer beater :( :D

Dank should be banned for life and should be injected with as much crap as he has injected into the players... "IF" he was an ethical business man, he would have already come forward with all the evidence to show what he was doing was all above board- end of story.

If Tird survives it will be the biggest crime in the history of our game, you can not have a coach who over saw an injection of all sorts into fit young men resume his post, after his players, under his watch receive bans for using prohibited or unknown substances. How can you then turn around and put him back in charge of these players after they have served their bans???
Yes spot on. But he has survived this far and I am not sure whether even player suspensions will bring him undone. One thing is for sure, he will not jump, he will need to be pushed. Not sure anyone at the Bombers is game to do it because he will take them with him. Those he hasn't pushed under the bus already anyway.

The astonishing thing about Hird is the absolute sincerity about his self righteousness. He really believes he has been the victim here.

To be perfectly honest, I can see positives in him staying if it came to that...

For as long as he is in place there will be a media circus, and no club wants that.

The more pain they experience, the better...and Bummers fans have got it right when they're saying the vast majority of peoples' minds are already made up. Won't make a difference either way.

It's not like him staying on will suddenly make everyone think he's a good bloke again. If he wants to live his life in the spotlight with a ton of people thinking he's a massive shitbag, more power to him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back