Certified Legendary Thread 34 Essendon* Players suspended for doping violations - No opposition fans. Check OP for thread rules

If Essendon* gets slapped on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf, I will .......

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It was also on evening news reported by Tim Watson (he had a grin on his ugly mug the whole time).

It was also on evening news reported by Tim Watson (he had a grin on his ugly mug the whole time).

Then it must be on the money.
Can't wait for Tim to return to SEN in a few weeks when hopefully we know the result of the investigation.

Ok so we have a result in a few weeks?
Yep, before the season proper starts Esky.

I can't see any result that will satisfy both sides so an appeal seems inevitable. Malifice and Thrawn are both leaning towards 18 months and think anything under will have ASADA appealing. I think 18 months would certainly be appealed by the players: if their provisional suspension remains running while they appeal and they have been suspended anyway, they have nothing to lose, it's a free swing at a reduction.

On the HTB most posters are certain suspensions are coming, with the EFC faithful still dreaming of a backdated gift that would se them playing full squad in round one. Opponents are picking anything from a few weeks to a full season and even two years.

I dunno what to think. Suspensions do seem inevitable and if the AFL do fix it so that they are just a few weeks I guess WADA can jump in an take it away from the AFL Tribunal and straight to CAS, where I believe the lettuce leaf would be binned and thee big stick fetched. Which may mean that the players are loath to risk increased bans and will cop a season and go after the club.

What most interests me, as I have posted in detail before, is who is then held to account for the doping. Dank has firmLy chucked that live hand grenade back to Windy Hill.

Can't wait for the climax.

Last edited:
Dank apparently considering moving to Qld and taking up greyhound training, there's suddenly a few dogs who need a helping hand.....
But ..... but ....nothing he uses is performance enhancing .......

I can't see any result that will satisfy both sides so an appeal seems inevitable. Malifice and Thrawn are both leaning towards 18 months and think anything under will have ASADA appealing. I think 18 months would certainly be appealed by the players: if their provisional suspension remains running while they appeal and they have been suspended anyway, they have nothing to lose, it's a free swing at a reduction.
Big Sim, assuming the penalty starts from the date IN's were issued, a 12 month penalty would mean players would miss this season and be back at the club in Nov this year. If they get 18 months, the players would return at end April 2016 - missing this season and the first 4 games of 2016.

Not sure the players would appeal an 18 month penalty in favour of 12 months, for the sake of 4 games. Anyway, they can blame their beloved coach for stuffing this up. If only the dickhead hadn't challenged the validity of the ASADA/AFL investigation, the IN's could have been issued in July last year and an 18 month penalty would have had the players back at the end of this year.

As posted earlier, Dank was quoted in the paper saying he would do it all exactly the same if given the chance again (yep, that old cliché). Seriously? Still thinks he can brazen his way out of it?
He also said "There was a tremendous amount of governance and diligence in relation to the program." And yet apparently no records can be found?! :drunk:
Tosser.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure the players would appeal an 18 month penalty in favour of 12 months, for the sake of 4 games. Anyway, they can blame their beloved coach for stuffing this up. If only the dickhead hadn't challenged the validity of the ASADA/AFL investigation, the IN's could have been issued in July last year and an 18 month penalty would have had the players back at the end of this year.
You'll have to remember that they'll also be suspended from training with the club, or any activities involving the club. So 18 months means they'll have bugger all match fitness because they didn't have a solid pre-season. Sure, they can hire personal trainers, dieticians, hit the gym, etc but the club offers far superior resources around the clock. Take that away, and they'll be at a severe disadvantage. Really, 18 months might as well be 2 years.

Sure, they can hire personal trainers, dieticians, hit the gym, etc

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that the club cannot be involved in the procurement of those services at all, most importantly paying for them.

But would those conditions apply to "donations" from wealthy supporters? similar to the rules regarding player payments?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that the club cannot be involved in the procurement of those services at all, most importantly paying for them.

But would those conditions apply to "donations" from wealthy supporters? similar to the rules regarding player payments?
The club can't, no, but what's stopping the players purchasing these services themselves?

The club can't, no, but what's stopping the players purchasing these services themselves?

Thanks for your reply.

Nothing stopping them using their own resources, however they will be without an income (or at least one from AFL).

I just wanted to confirm if the club or weathly supporters could become involved. I belive that it is something that will warrant monitoring.

Picking up Paddy Ryder doesnt seem to have been the smartest decision. At least in relation to the 2015 season. Cooney equally could be running around with a B grade list this year. I dont think some clubs and players have taken into account this situation with the weight it deserves in the off season.

You'll have to remember that they'll also be suspended from training with the club, or any activities involving the club. So 18 months means they'll have bugger all match fitness because they didn't have a solid pre-season. Sure, they can hire personal trainers, dieticians, hit the gym, etc but the club offers far superior resources around the clock. Take that away, and they'll be at a severe disadvantage. Really, 18 months might as well be 2 years.
Could they backdate to the end of last season if the players had commenced voluntary suspensions? Then 18 months would have them back in time for round one next year. Which, given that they would be out of shape completely, would mean the season stuffed for Essendon.

Can you talk me through the rationale for 18 months, that is, where the 6 month discount comes from?

As I understand it a 6 month discount or any amount of discount would only come about if they can prove they were duped and blame is on the club failing in terms of governance, supervision/monitoring etc or if they have co-operated fully with the process or helped throughout the process.

Not sure either of these angles would be completely satisfied though.

As I understand it a 6 month discount or any amount of discount would only come about if they can prove they were duped and blame is on the club failing in terms of governance, supervision/monitoring etc or if they have co-operated fully with the process or helped throughout the process.

Not sure either of these angles would be completely satisfied though.

My understanding is that there are two grades of no fault: no fault means that they did not know and could not have known that they were being doped, ie they were asleep and someone injected them. No way Jose that will work.

No significant fault I think is the "we were tricked" defence...that is they agreed to take something but were given something else. Dank has just attempted to shoot that one down in flames. And the consent forms, if they accurately listed what was being injected, will not help them. But Dank could well be lying and the consent forms may have been dodgy. But this is the only hope of a discount I can see.

Malifice says that WADA have to agree to the offering of a substantial assistance discount for the players co-operation but that seems unlikely because the only assistance the offered was compelled, and even that was vague and later protested as unlawfully gained in the court action against ASADA.

The only thing that can help the players avoid missing a lot of time is a big backdate and I do not think the AFL would dare push that one.

My understanding is that there are two grades of no fault: no fault means that they did not know and could not have known that they were being doped, ie they were asleep and someone injected them. No way Jose that will work.

No significant fault I think is the "we were tricked" defence...that is they agreed to take something but were given something else. Dank has just attempted to shoot that one down in flames. And the consent forms, if they accurately listed what was being injected, will not help them. But Dank could well be lying and the consent forms may have been dodgy. But this is the only hope of a discount I can see.

Malifice says that WADA have to agree to the offering of a substantial assistance discount for the players co-operation but that seems unlikely because the only assistance the offered was compelled, and even that was vague and later protested as unlawfully gained in the court action against ASADA.

The only thing that can help the players avoid missing a lot of time is a big backdate and I do not think the AFL would dare push that one.
The only way a discount can be made available is via a deal to have it all wrapped up, which would be wrong and not a good look !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back