Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
First of all, I know people will say 'best 22 isn't a thing, blah blah blah'. That's cool, and you're right, but no one is making you post your best team or even talk about it.

A thread for people to post what they think our best team is before FA, trades and drafting happens. Then as we pick up/lose players we can update it as we go. Just to see where posters have every player sitting. Can also update it in the preseason so you can include all the players who are 'training the house down'. :p

So, before the silly season begins here's my best 22.

B: Morris ---- Roberts ----- Boyd
HB: Wood --- Hamling ---- Murphy
C: Macrae ---- Wallis --- Johannisen
HF: Hunter --- Stringer --- Stevens
F: Dickson ----- Boyd ---- Crameri
R: Campbell -- Bontempelli -- Dahlhaus

INT: Libba, Picken, Roughead, Biggs

EMG: McLean, Daniel, Jong

Ruck was a bit of a mess, got no idea what we're gonna do there. I fully expect McLean to be in there by the end of the preseason.

Can't see much wrong with this. ATM Redpath in front of Boyd but agree by within 2016 Boyd will become a key part. But still think Redpath adds something - Redpath and Roughy I think is better that Campbell and Roughy. So would replace Campbell with Roughy at first ruck and Redpath for Roughy on the bench.

Good team. With everyone fit and healthy, I'd put Roughy into the ruck, and then Maclean on the bench ahead of Campbell (Roughy Ruck/forward changing with Boyd). Libba has to start in the middle. I'll go:

Morris - Roberts - Wood
Murphy - Hamling - MBoyd
JJ - Wallis - Macrae
Dahlhaus - Stringer - Hunter
Crameri - TBoyd - Dickson

Roughy - Bont - Libba
Maclean - Biggs - Picken - Stevens

Can't see much wrong with this. ATM Redpath in front of Boyd but agree by within 2016 Boyd will become a key part. But still think Redpath adds something - Redpath and Roughy I think is better that Campbell and Roughy. So would replace Campbell with Roughy at first ruck and Redpath for Roughy on the bench.
I reckon Campbell will get first crack at #1 ruck with the sub rule gone, but can see it being Roughead with Boyd as back up by years end. I don't see Redpath having much of an impact, hope he does, though.

First of all, I know people will say 'best 22 isn't a thing, blah blah blah'. That's cool, and you're right, but no one is making you post your best team or even talk about it.

A thread for people to post what they think our best team is before FA, trades and drafting happens. Then as we pick up/lose players we can update it as we go. Just to see where posters have every player sitting. Can also update it in the preseason so you can include all the players who are 'training the house down'. :p

So, before the silly season begins here's my best 22.

B: Morris ---- Roberts ----- Boyd
HB: Wood --- Hamling ---- Murphy
C: Macrae ---- Wallis --- Johannisen
HF: Hunter --- Stringer --- Stevens
F: Dickson ----- Boyd ---- Crameri
R: Campbell -- Bontempelli -- Dahlhaus

INT: Libba, Picken, Roughead, Biggs

EMG: McLean, Daniel, Jong

Ruck was a bit of a mess, got no idea what we're gonna do there. I fully expect McLean to be in there by the end of the preseason.

Looks perfect to me. Just realised how absolutely exciting our best 22 is. That team looks scary good if Roberts and Hamling have good years. I like that you have Boyd in there as I can see him playing most of the year, maybe with Redpath covering for him if he needs a rest at times. I kind of expect Boyd to overtake Redpath if he gets in a good preseason. However if he isn't performing I'd imagine he will be swapped out for Red.
I'm also expecting Tom Campbell to start off the year as our number one ruck.
Just for shits and giggles how would you change it if we acquire Suckling? Very hard to slot him into that side. I could see him maybe swapping out with Stevens as we already have a lot of inside grunt with that team, however I absolutely LOVE Stevens and would probably rather let Suckling player VFL until someone is injured or has a form dip.

Good team. With everyone fit and healthy, I'd put Roughy into the ruck, and then Maclean on the bench ahead of Campbell (Roughy Ruck/forward changing with Boyd). Libba has to start in the middle. I'll go:

Morris - Roberts - Wood
Murphy - Hamling - MBoyd
JJ - Wallis - Macrae
Dahlhaus - Stringer - Hunter
Crameri - TBoyd - Dickson

Roughy - Bont - Libba
Maclean - Biggs - Picken - Stevens

This is also what I have as our current best 22

If you want to add Suckling to that then McLean has to make way. We are talking current not future and he is the least experienced; although I expect he will cement himself by seasons end.

FB: Morris, Roberts, Wood
HB: Murphy, Hamling, Boyd
C: JJ, Bontempelli, Hunter
HF: Dahlhaus, Redpath, Crameri
FF: Stringer, Boyd, Dickson
R: Campbell, Libba, Wallis
Int: Macrae, Picken, Stevens, Biggs,

McLean, Jong, Daniel,

Not sure about Morris, I reckon his lost a touch of pace, and age might be getting the best of him, Which I'd then move jj to the backline and put Jong on the wing. Dont mind the Campbell /Roughead combo in the ruck. And at the start of year i'd be giving Redpath the nod over Boyd. I reckon Mclean is best 22 but hard too see where, maybe for stevens? Also Hrovat probably gives the best 22 a good tilt with a full pre season. We probably need to address some depth in key defensive stocks and the ruck in the offseason. Good 22 you have put together mate! We will have too see at seasons start!

Not sure about Morris, I reckon his lost a touch of pace, and age might be getting the best of him, Which I'd then move jj to the backline and put Jong on the wing. Dont mind the Campbell /Roughead combo in the ruck. And at the start of year i'd be giving Redpath the nod over Boyd. I reckon Mclean is best 22 but hard too see where, maybe for stevens? Also Hrovat probably gives the best 22 a good tilt with a full pre season. We probably need to address some depth in key defensive stocks and the ruck in the offseason. Good 22 you have put together mate! We will have too see at seasons start!

Morris finished 5th on a votes per game basis in the B&F. Important guard dog for us.

First thing we need to do is remove Morris, Murphy and Matthew
Boyd from the best 22 conversation and view them simply as a
bonus. That is not to down grade them as players, but have the
vision to see the future. Best 22 for me is all about getting games
and experience into the players that need it.

Morris finished 5th on a votes per game basis in the B&F. Important guard dog for us.
Another pre-season, a year older- his never really been big and strong enough to play on the talls and he may not be quick enough to go with smalls next year. His been a great stalwart for the club but eventually he will have to make way, might be best used as back up next year

First thing we need to do is remove Morris, Murphy and Matthew
Boyd from the best 22 conversation and view them simply as a
bonus. That is not to down grade them as players, but have the
vision to see the future. Best 22 for me is all about getting games
and experience into the players that need it.
And god forbid we have a s**t year next year Tory Dickson may become a casualty (Had a brilliant year this season, really like him as a footballer) But in the passed we've seen with small fowards they've gone from having 40-50 goal season to doing little due to having a team play poorly, it would be a bit like Ian Callinan at the crows from kicking 50 in 2012 to delisted the next season. Can end very abruptly for a older small/medium foward if a team plays poorly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No sure who that player Libba is have we traded for someone already ?

Daniel and McLean to be in best 22 by year end

Boyd to be clear focus in forward line

Wood - Roberts - Morris
Murphy - Hamling - Johannisen
Macrae - Wallis - Hunter
Dickson - Crameri - McLean
Dahlhaus - Boyd - Stringer
Roughead - Liberatore - Bontempelli
Boyd, Picken, Redpath, Stevens

emergency: Biggs, Daniel, Cordy

Expect this to change over the season, with Biggs/Daniel/Webb/Cordy coming in for Morris and Boyd as they tire. Interesting to see how much longer they've got in them.

Our team improves significantly with better decisions / disposal across the ground. This year we were a hard working and classy team by hand that sometimes lacked polish by foot. We need Dale / Webb / McLean and Daniels all playing as many games as possible. Who drops out I dont know beyond the positions usually reserved for honeychurch types and grant.

Arch - I think he has become an elite midfielder but without sub and with limits expect him to rest forward a little more. And with Libba extracting he will likely get in the end of a few more. To good now to be left waiting for the ball to come to him.

Wood - Hamling - Morris
Boyd - Roberts - Murphy
Macrae - Libba - Johannisen
Dahlhaus - Stringer - McLean
Dickson - Boyd - Crameri
Campbell - Bontempelli - Wallis

Hunter - Roughead - Stevens - Picken

(Webb - Honeychurch - Daniel)

A bit early to say, would Suckling fit should we end up with the trade?
Out: Campbell
In: Suckling (bench)

Roughy to first ruck, Boyd giving him a chop out.

Best thing about next year: No sub rule, which I believe has stymied the development of our young players (and other teams' as well).

As far as Best 22 goes, it seems everyone is mostly in agreement. Probably just the last few spots (which could go to quite a few) and positioning being the only points of difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back