Opinion The evolution of your 22 as the offseason progresses 2013/14 edition!

Remove this Banner Ad

How easily we forget how good the hoon was for such a young player...tsk tsk

He won't get replaced for trollololec
I think it's got to do with his age and his size.
He's still very light, especially for someone playing in an AFL backline.
And if he was born 6 days later he would only be getting drafted this year.
The exclusion is justified, but his form deserves inclusion them we play him.

Here is my thoughts on our current best 22

Tom jonas alipate carlile Cameron oshea

Jasper pittard Jackson trengrove Matthew broadbent

Kane cornes travis boak brad ebert

Angus monfries Justin westhoff chad wingard

Robbie gray jay Shultz John butcher

Matthew lobbe ollie wines Hamish harlett

Andrew Moore Dominic cassisi Matthew white

Aaron young

Key notes

Chad wingard, robbert gray, Matthew broadbent to rotate thru middle of ground
Jasper pittard to take more kick outs as Matthew broadbent had a few brain farts! However he wasn't that bad to not allow him to kick out anymore.
John butcher to stay goal square or use mainly direct leads up the corridor as poor kicking
Jay Shultz to lead angles as he is a great kick for goal
Dominic cassisi to play less in the back half as I don't believe his speed or kicking ability suit that position. Far to many times he missed targets or kicked out on the full. Best suited to tagging in and under roles as he strong and has a great never give up attitude.
Maybe to use Andrew Moore as a tagger on who ever tags Hamish hartlett as he can help create 2 on 2s and help Hamish stay in every game. Andrew and Hamish r big bodied mids would be hard to out wrestle them!
An idea but would have to be tested, Cameron oshea to play up forward reads the ball well plus has good hands and is very quick, hard to stop on the lead. He also has a long leg!
Jared polec would be in the best 22 if he makes his way to port. Would move Aaron young out the team and make Matthew white the sub.
I don't think port needs to play two ruckmen as our strength is based on speed. However would play a second ruckmen if the other team does and they are both dangerous. Hoping for big season from Matthew lobbe, I really like his around the ground work! Plays like a mid which suits our style.

That's all I can think of ATM. Let me know what ya think.

Thanks

B: Tom Jonas - Jackson Trengove - Jack Hombsch
HB: Cameron O'Shea - Alipate Carlile - Matthew Broadbent
C: Brad Ebert - Justin Westhoff - Hamish Hartlett
HF: Angus Monfries - John Butcher - Robbie Gray
F: Chad Wingard - Jay Schulz - Jake Neade
R: Matthew Lobbe - Travis Boak - Kane Cornes
IC: Oliver Wines - Matt White - Andrew Moore
Sub: Aaron Young

Needs more Polec and Redden ;)

Yeah in my notes I suggested polec would be on there if he was on our list. Hope he is. He's a smooth mover. I like redden as a ruckmen he is still very young I think. Which is why I put lobbe ahead of him. Redden may have a big pre season and jump lobbe in the pecking order. But ATM I think lobbes skill set suits what ken is trying to achieve.

The other player I'd like port to look at would be dayle garlett I know he has issues off the field but he would be a great addition in my opinion. I think port has the right culture for him to learn from. Let him hang out with chad and he'll prob change his attitude. Prob not the right thread to post in but cbf going to the other one haha

B: Jonas, Carlile, Broadbent
HB: O'Shea, Trengove, Pittard
C: Hartlett, Cornes, Wines
HF: Wingard, Schulz, Westhoff
F: Monfries, Redden, Gray
1R: Lobbe, Boak, Ebert
Int: Cassisi, Colquhoun, Moore
Sub: Neade

Notes: It was a toss up between Neade and Young for the sub spot for me, I really like what Young did at the end of last season, but the idea of Jake Neade coming on, running around tiring opponents and burying some faces in the dirt with his tackles gets me a bit excited.
I really wanted to put Butcher in but the team I think that will make it slightly top-heavy. I'm looking for a big year from him with a pre-season under his belt and more than a year removed from those hip surgeries.
Really look forward to Redden coming back, although he didn't get as many numbers as Lobbe later on in the year I'm a big fan of his knock ruckwork, and was especially enjoying his partnership with Travis Boak early on last year.
####AN EDIT LATER####
Also White completely slipped my mind, depending on how he looks in preseason I think he could squeeze in on Wines' wing, with Ollie taking Cornes' spot in the centre, Kane sitting on the bench and Dom sitting up in the members at Adelaide Oval.

If you tag the tagger, that means that the first tagger and his team has won.

Yes that's a valid point. I think my use of the word tagger was a poor choice. What I was thinking instead of writing was use Andrew Moore in stoppage situations around where Hamish is get between Hamish and his tagger. Make the taggers job harder. Andrew himself can still go offensive when he sees the oppuntuntiy. I just feel Andrew is a good player in patches and his best work is in close. Andrew sometimes has a great game but more than often gets around 10, 15 touches. In this role he can get his 10 15 touches while allowing Hamish to be more effective. It seems when Hamish is on we have a great chance of winning. The only problem is what will Andrew moores opponent do.

It's just an idea maybe something to trial in the pre season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just it. No use having him focus on an opposition tagger and let one of their players run free.

Hey don't knock it till u try it. Say the other player who is free to roam isn't as damaging as Hamish then it may work. Especially if all the other port players r on board. They will know there's an extra floating around and can try and help. I know ken likes playing 1 behind the play as it is. Plus we are a fit fast team who have shown great discipline so it might just work.

i think it will be interesting to see how many inside players we choose to have in one team, this year i think we were too contested footy based and didn't have that skill and ball movement to really take it up to the big guns. i wouldnt be surprised if we start to get more defined roles, players such as Moore who is an excess to a need be replaced with a Colquhoun or maybe a Polec just on the basis of having too many top end pure insides and not enough ball movement even though at the moment Moore is far better player. a midfield group of Boak, Hartlett, Ebert, Wines, Moore, Wingard, Gray, Young, Cassisi/Cornes (our finals midfield) while it looks good i think there is a limit of how many of those you can play.

it's also a reason why i don't think we need to draft more inside mids

Hey don't knock it till u try it. Say the other player who is free to roam isn't as damaging as Hamish then it may work. Especially if all the other port players r on board. They will know there's an extra floating around and can try and help. I know ken likes playing 1 behind the play as it is. Plus we are a fit fast team who have shown great discipline so it might just work.

Just trust me, there's a reason why no one has ever 'tagged' a tagger.

it's also a reason why i don't think we need to draft more inside mids

I actually prefer the idea of recruiting more pure inside mids (Crouch would be great but will be gone by the time our first pick comes around :mad:) to go with Ollie so that those who played inside-outside roles this year (Boak, Hartlett and sometimes Gray, Wingard) can play more outside going forward.

Wingard in particular I think should be a starting mid this year (going forward to rest and/or break tags), be an outside receiver and become the premier inside-50 clinician in the competition.*

* Viable tall targets pending.

I actually prefer the idea of recruiting more pure inside mids (Crouch would be great but will be gone by the time our first pick comes around :mad:) to go with Ollie so that those who played inside-outside roles this year (Boak, Hartlett and sometimes Gray, Wingard) can play more outside going forward.

Wingard in particular I think should be a starting mid this year (going forward to rest and/or break tags), be an outside receiver and become the premier inside-50 clinician in the competition.*

* Viable tall targets pending.

The dream of Boak playing purely as an outside player is still alive

i personally consider Hartlett and Gray much better inside. Hartlett has a 60m kick off one step with strength and real good tackling i think it's where he will play more footy next year and as for gray, he's not exactly damaging with ball in hand for an outside player but in centre square he is much more effective.

I love how our squad has developed. Plenty of skill in the first 22 with a couple of emerging stars and plenty of depth.

I still feel we are short a KPF and a KPD (both 195cm+) and a roughead type forward who can rotate through the ruck

Just trust me, there's a reason why no one has ever 'tagged' a tagger.

Ok maybe release the word tagger from the idea. And maybe call it loose shadowing. When hartlett seems to be beaten by a tagger maybe another inside mid could come and put heavy body on that tagger. I'm just suggesting hartletts influence in games is so valuable to us we need a solid plan to keep him influencing games.

I'm not suggesting Moore spend the whole time he's on the ground helping hartlett loose his tag. But maybe add it to his in game roles. I understand tagging a player who is tagging another player doesn't make sense. My apologies for failing to get my point across.

these teams need more Hoon

I saw him live at the Freo game and when everyone else was cracking under pressure, he remain in control and delivered passes with poise.

He is definitely in our best 22

he is definitely in our best 22.....in 2015. one more year in the gym for my liking. with White and polec coming on board, we no longer need to play kids before they are ready. same goes for neade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back