Opinion The evolution of your 22 as the offseason progresses 2014/15 edition!

Remove this Banner Ad

My current round 1 team, italicised players are the ones in doubt with injury or ASADA:

B:
Impey - Carlile - Hombsch
HB: Pittard - Trengove - Jonas
C: Ebert - Wines - Hartlett
HF: White - Westhoff - Wingard
F: Monfries - Schulz - Ryder
R: Lobbe - Boak - Gray
I: Polec - Cornes - Broadbent
S: Krakouer

• If Trengove is out, bring in Clurey.
  • If Ryder is out, bring in Redden.
  • If one of our small/medium defenders is out, bring in Stewart, who has been noticeably better than O'Shea over the NAB.
  • If any of our mids/small forwards are out, bring in Young, Amon or Mitchell in that order of preference. Not Moore, not Neade and not Sam Gray. Excluding the newbies playing their first or second game at this level or the key forwards who got * all delivery, they were our three worst players yesterday. I prefer Moore and Neade to Mitchell as players generally, but we also have to reward form somewhat.

Maybe Redden as one of the subs against the Crows rest Lobster after 3/4 time and get a little more game time into Redden?

I'd rather we played them both together with Redden in the Paddy Ryder ruck/forward role to get our side used to playing in that structure. That might mean that Butcher has to drop out, but I can't say I'd feel too sorry for him after one goal in two weeks.

Also, RossFC, get Sam Gray out of that NAB3 team. He shouldn't be anywhere near our team now that we're getting serious.

Yes given some thought Reddens game time could be managed of the interchange without over doing it.

Yes given some thought Reddens game time could be managed of the interchange without over doing it.

This. Keep in mind that we have three extra bench spots and one extra sub in the NAB Challenge compared to a regular season game, so it's a lot easier to manage one player's game time without negatively effecting the rest of the team.

My current round 1 team, italicised players are the ones in doubt with injury or ASADA:

B:
Impey - Carlile - Hombsch
C: Ebert - Wines - Hartlett
HF: White - Westhoff - Wingard
F: Monfries - Schulz - Ryder
R: Lobbe - Boak - Gray
I: Polec - Cornes - Broadbent
S: Krakouer

• If Trengove is out, bring in Clurey.
  • If Ryder is out, bring in Redden.
  • If one of our small/medium defenders is out, bring in Stewart, who has been noticeably better than O'Shea over the NAB.
  • If any of our mids/small forwards are out, bring in Young, Amon or Mitchell in that order of preference. Not Moore, not Neade and not Sam Gray. Excluding the newbies playing their first or second game at this level or the key forwards who got **** all delivery, they were our three worst players yesterday. I prefer Moore and Neade to Mitchell as players generally, but we also have to reward form somewhat.

I'd rather we played them both together with Redden in the Paddy Ryder ruck/forward role to get our side used to playing in that structure. That might mean that Butcher has to drop out, but I can't say I'd feel too sorry for him after one goal in two weeks.

Also, RossFC, get Sam Gray out of that NAB3 team. He shouldn't be anywhere near our team now that we're getting serious.

The one thing I would change in that team is I'd play Polec on the left wing and swap Hartlett to the right, with Ebert pushing up into HF. I'd put White on the bench - his form has been just as bad as the three you mention. In fact, unless he pulls his finger out in the last game and does at least one nice run, I'd put Krakouer in on the bench - more versatile - and use White as the sub. At least for one match, so he knows he has to perform all the time now.

This is how i see it.

F. Ryder Schulz Wingard
HF. Monfries Westoff Ebert
C. Polec Wines Hartlett
HB Broadbent Trengove Pittard
B. Jonas Carlile Hombsch
R. Lobbe Boak Gray

I. Cornes, Impey, White
Sub. Krakouer

Depth

Backline- Clurey, Colquhoun, Stewart, O’Shea

Midfield- Young, Moore, Mitchell, Redden

Forwards- Neade, S.Gray, Butcher, Amon

The depth players at the very least are capable of coming into a strong team and playing a role given 3 or 4 injuries. Young, Moore, Stewart, O’Shea and Neade should be pushing hard for a starting spot. Sam Grey is the weakest link but still managed 7 games in a team that finished 3rd. Not bad depth i would have thought.

Sorry for Intruding but what are your thoughts on Jake Neade?

I'd play him ahead of Matt White.

Different players competing in different positions.

Neade would be getting a go as a small fwd in round 1 if Wingard and Monfries are injured/suspended.

Matt Whites outside mid role looks fairly safe since Kane Mitchell is unlikely to play round 1. At worst I could see White being the sub.

B: Hombsch Carlile Jonas
HB: Broadbent Trengove Pittard
C: Hartlett Gray Polec
HF: White Ryder Westhoff
F: Monfries Schulz Wingard

R: Lobbe Boak Wines

INT: Ebert Cornes O'Shea

SUB: Krakouer

+ Young, Neade, Impey and Mitchell all with genuine claims. Perhaps Colquhoun too once he gets back to full fitness. Our best 25 or so is very, very strong.

Last edited:

White was electric and game breaking last year on the wing. Neade is a small crumbing forward, who played okay late, but not even close to the level White was. He is 100% best 22.

I can't think of when we have used a sub that wasn't on ball that actually worked for us. Even Broadbent in his 1 game as a sub went straight to the middle.

The biggest thing I've noticed with the sub rule is that it works best when you're adding an impact player on-ball. Trying to put a forward guy or a back man on for 1 quarter simply doesn't have nearly as much of an effect. Players for the most part are tiring by the 4th quarter. If we are able to take off a big man in favour of adding to the midfield rotation, I'd do it in a heart beat. It not only adds a fully fresh player on the ball, but it allows the rest of the midfield rotation to get a little more rest during that fourth quarter, such that when they are on the field, they are more fresh and hence more effective.

If I had to pick a sub for round 1, it would be Young. Good speed, throws his body around, can kick a goal from midfield.

Please do... Ho
Hombsch will be AA in 1 or 2 years.. if you saw the job he did on Buddy then you'll understand why.

I'm tempted to make a Hombsch appreciation thread now.

448407-7cc1d690-86e4-11e3-92e1-07d47f226b83.jpg

Please do... Hombsch is a genuine footballer who reads the play well and is consistent in his efforts. #36 respect

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 vs Fremantle Line- Up

FB: Hombsch Carlile Jonas

C: Polec Wines Hartlett

HF: Westhoff Ryder White

F: R.Gray Schulz Wingard

R: Lobbe Boak Ebert

I/C: Monfries-Cornes-Young

Sub: Amon (Krakouer- if elevated)

B: Hombsch Carlile Jonas
C: Hartlett Wines Polec
HF: Gray Westhoff Monfries
F: Ryder Schulz Wingard
R: Lobbe Boak Ebert
IC: Cornes White Impey
Sub: Young
E: O'Shea Neade Mitchell

In the case of Mitchell being elevated, I'd start him as the sub. Krakouer would be very very close to that first team for me but I'm not convinced he's anywhere near match fit right now, and he's not what I'm looking for in a sub.

He is a gun...and underrated by this board...

He is the victim of Ollie and Wingard being so good...people forget he is still putting on size playing the freakin hardest position on the field to have impact still inexperienced and young...yet he has won games for us.

He is in our 22 ....he had a great finals impact in 2 out of the 3 games last year....

Last edited:
Different players competing in different positions.

Neade would be getting a go as a small fwd in round 1 if Wingard and Monfries are injured/suspended.

Matt Whites outside mid role looks fairly safe since Kane Mitchell is unlikely to play round 1. At worst I could see White being the sub.

White was electric and game breaking last year on the wing. Neade is a small crumbing forward, who played okay late, but not even close to the level White was. He is 100% best 22.

I rate Neade higher because I thought he had a bigger impact in the finals and he does some team lifting courageous acts which I don't see from White. I do realise White was injured in the finals though.

White can play as a Small Forward and Neade I have seen used as an outside mid and with the versatility of other players such as Wingard, Monfries, Grey etc. who can spend more or less time in the midfield I don't think them playing different positions doesn't mean there not in competition.

He is a gun...and underrated by this board...

He is the victim of Ollie and Wingard being so good...people forget he is still putting on size playing the freakin hardest position on the field to have impact still inexperienced and young...yet he has won games for us.

He is in our 22 ....he had a great finals impact in 2 out of the 3 games last year....

Are you talking about Neade. I was a bit surprized with how many people are leaving him out of their best 22.

I don't watch all Port games though I'm obviously less knowledgeable.

Last edited:
I rate Neade higher because I thought he had a bigger impact in the finals and he does some team lifting courageous acts which I don't see from White. I do realise White was injured in the finals though.

White can play as a Small Forward and Neade I have seen used as an outside mid and with the versatility of other players such as Wingard, Monfries, Grey etc. who can spend more or less time in the midfield I don't think them playing different positions doesn't mean there not in competition.

Are you talking about Neade. I was a bit surprized with how many people are leaving him out of their best 22.

I don't watch all Port games though I'm obviously less knowledgeable.
Uh ha....crazy huh....Neade is a freaking gun...and your opinion of him is correct...

At least you get it....you really get it...the uplift his acts create and the stuff he does that creates goals but no stats

If Ryder and Monfries get suspended, does that allow for rookies to be elevated? I would presume that would be Krak and Gray as a Logan type is less needed.

The thing with Neade is that he doesn't yet have, and may never have, the engine and line breaking speed for an outside mid. He should really focus on perfecting his craft as a small pressure forward.

Also, whilst I am a huge fan of the Krak and his comeback, I'm not sure he is quite up to the rigors of AFL just yet. I'm not sure he'd be much good as sub, I think that needs to more be an impact player like a Young or Moore, maybe Mitchell or White.

If Ryder and Monfries get suspended, does that allow for rookies to be elevated? I would presume that would be Krak and Gray as a Logan type is less needed.

The thing with Neade is that he doesn't yet have, and may never have, the engine and line breaking speed for an outside mid. He should really focus on perfecting his craft as a small pressure forward.

Also, whilst I am a huge fan of the Krak and his comeback, I'm not sure he is quite up to the rigors of AFL just yet. I'm not sure he'd be much good as sub, I think that needs to more be an impact player like a Young or Moore, maybe Mitchell or White.
Did you miss the West Coast game?

Sorry?
He's running a sub 10 minute 3k.

Not to mention this

and this

and this.

Assumptions for Rnd 1 team:
No Ryder or Monfries
Trengrove & Impey right to play
Hartlett and Wingard don't come up
Krakeour elevated

FB: Impey - Bobby - Hombsch
C: Polec - Wines - Broady
HF: Gray - Westhoff - Krakeour
FF: Neade - Schulz - Butcher
Fol: Lobbe - Boak - Ebert
Int: Cornes - Young - Mitchell
Sub: White

Impey in to cover Walters, Broady into the midfield.
Butch in for Ryder - ummed and ahhhed about Redden, but he's just not ready. Come on butch!
Neade for Wingard, Krak for Monfries.
Young for hartlett. Broady would have slipped to the bench if hammer was in the side.
Mitchell on the bench and White sub. I think Mitchell as improved again this year - on exposed form so far he is miles ahead of white. No golden passes. I think white is the better player - however he has to show it to get picked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back