Opinion The evolution of your 22 as the offseason progresses 2014/15 edition!

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Monfries has to start or not play, the guy just isn't suited to the sub role.

White's pace is what is keeping him in the side, really needs to lift. A couple of weeks as the sub may be needed.

I think Impey is a set started now, the only thing would be a rest later in the season to allow him a fresh crack at the finals.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Also teams seem to be switched on with White and very closely check him to not allow him the space. Perhaps utilising him as sub allows him to use his pace when they are tired so they can't mark him as closely. He is also fit enough and good enough to play a whole game if subbed in early. I think he is similar to Mitchell in this regard, ie sub may make him more effective.

Where's dougal?
Hopefully it's just soreness. Feel sorry for Butch... He will be all by himself tomorrow night.
No Shaw, Howard, Redden or Gordon and Harvey is in the ruck.

Ralph Lorenz

Premium Gold
Jan 19, 2012
Country VIC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hopefully it's just soreness. Feel sorry for Butch... He will be all by himself tomorrow night.
No Shaw, Howard, Redden or Gordon and Harvey is in the ruck.
Howard would've fit comfortably in that forward line. Butcher and Wagner (listed as CHF :S) won't kick too many between them.
SANFL side with Kane Mitchell has the opposite affect to that of an AFL side with Kane Mitchell. Will miss him if he doesn't play.
Hoped we would destroy south but with Gotch behind the desk, I'm not convinced.

Does Wagner get a game for the magpies next week with a massive 4 handball effort last week?

He was pretty handy the week before kicking 2 goals. You have to back in the kids.

Karl Amon had a very disappointing game vs South then ended up with 18 touches and 2 goals a week later vs North.

Feb 13, 2013
Alberton
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He was pretty handy the week before kicking 2 goals. You have to back in the kids.

Karl Amon had a very disappointing game vs South then ended up with 18 touches and 2 goals a week later vs North.

I give you that, but 4 handballs... I could almost scrag that in the SANFL and I can't run (probably not, but anyway)

I give you that, but 4 handballs... I could almost scrag that in the SANFL and I can't run (probably not, but anyway)

Hopefully he can use some of his pace to break Norwoods ultra flooding tactics and put in a good performance next week.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As raised in the podcast, what are people's thoughts on giving Clurey a run in the midfield?

His running numbers suggest he will have the fitness and he has a good kick on him. 193cm is tall but Fyfe 191cm and The Bont at 194cm suggest it is possible. He isn't explosive but could work on this. He could perhaps tag the Dangerfield/Kennedy/Fyfe types that hurt us and maybe play as a defensive forward when needed. Gives us the option of dropping him back to cover a defender if someone goes down or to release Trengrove. Also gives us another tall in the forward line.

As Portia stated he doesn't seem to get it like others do and maybe a shift would be good for him.

croweyrocks

All Australian
Nov 29, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As raised in the podcast, what are people's thoughts on giving Clurey a run in the midfield?

His running numbers suggest he will have the fitness and he has a good kick on him. 193cm is tall but Fyfe 191cm and The Bont at 194cm suggest it is possible. He isn't explosive but could work on this. He could perhaps tag the Dangerfield/Kennedy/Fyfe types that hurt us and maybe play as a defensive forward when needed. Gives us the option of dropping him back to cover a defender if someone goes down or to release Trengrove. Also gives us another tall in the forward line.

As Portia stated he doesn't seem to get it like others do and maybe a shift would be good for him.

I agree with this totally however there is one problem....does he even know how to play midfield? Like if we were grooming him into that role I think I would have seen him at the Maggies the last couple years go in there.
He suits this role of playing a big bodied fit midfielder but it looks like they have other plans for him.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Does Wagner get a game for the magpies next week with a massive 4 handball effort last week?

As far as I am aware AFL listed players ( including rookies ) have to be selected for the Maggie's senior team regardless of form, and can only be omitted if upgraded to the Power lineup, or injured.

REH may be able to confirm or deny this, but I have been told the snafl has the right to have an AFL listed `injured ' player checked by a 3rd party if they think the club is pulling a shonky and replacing him with a contracted Maggie player who is in better form.

A case in point was when an extremely underdone, and not then up to it Russell. had to be selected for the Maggies seniors last season even after months on the sidelines, and at the expense of a non AFL listed player.

A similar thing will happen when Howard and Frampton are fit, even though they may not yet be ready for senior sanfl footy, they have to be selected for the Maggie firsts.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
As far as I am aware AFL listed players ( including rookies ) have to be selected for the Maggie's senior team regardless of form, and can only be omitted if upgraded to the Power lineup, or injured.

REH may be able to confirm or deny this, but I have been told the snafl has the right to have an AFL listed `injured ' player checked by a 3rd party if they think the club is pulling a shonky and replacing him with a contracted Maggie player who is in better form.

A case in point was when an extremely underdone, and not then up to it Russell. had to be selected for the Maggies seniors last season even after months on the sidelines, and at the expense of a non AFL listed player.

A similar thing will happen when Howard and Frampton are fit, even though they may not yet be ready for senior sanfl footy, they have to be selected for the Maggie firsts.

And a player coming back from 12 months injury has to play - he should be in the academy side but ends up coming off the bench in the league side.

Feb 13, 2013
Alberton
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Thanks, did not know that.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Where is Andrew Moore at?

Last year he was starting 22. This year the selectors went with Young (fair call), Mitchell (fair call) and Ah Chee (big call) ahead of him. I appreciate he was recovering from an injury initially but had reasonable SANFL form to push for selection.

He was pick 9, has a good running ability but is regularly injuried and I don't think has lived up to the mantle of a top ten pick - not yet anyway. We keep wanting him to be that big inside mid but Wines, Young and, perhaps, Ah Chee are ahead of him and he hasn't nailed it at AFL, kills it at SANFL though. I still think he can be a solid player for us and notch up 100-150 games but he needs to get to it!

This suspension is bad timing and more is really expected of him. This was a huge chance to push his case.

Is he kept for depth, encouraged to push for a starting 22 or trade bait?

ash_78

Club Legend
Dec 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Unley Rangers
Curious to know why O'Shea is on the nose. I hear that throughout pre-season he was often excluded from the first team training drills etc also. Thought he'd progressed last year and was definitely in the mix. I'm sure it's just that we have a lot of depth across half back (especially given we just delisted Heath and Stevenson) and it looks like Krak is cementing his spot back there now.

Curious to know why O'Shea is on the nose. I hear that throughout pre-season he was often excluded from the first team training drills etc also. Thought he'd progressed last year and was definitely in the mix. I'm sure it's just that we have a lot of depth across half back (especially given we just delisted Heath and Stevenson) and it looks like Krak is cementing his spot back there now.

I don't think he's on the nose so much as he's one of the unlucky guys to be left out of a strong team. See Aaron Young until a fortnight ago. O'Shea only played two games before round 16 last year then played all but one from that point on. For players on the edge of our 22 - Butcher, Mitchell, Young, Moore, O'Shea, etc - the key is making the most of your opportunities when they come. Cam will get a chance at some point, he needs to make the most of it.

Back