The Federal Budget Surplus

Remove this Banner Ad

You haven't been paying attention (to conservatives) for the last 6 years. Australia is totally isolated from the international economic cycle. We should have had a surplus every single year...........
well, the ALP play this game too. just they are pretty stupid talking about surpluses and playing in to the Libs hands.

National Gov'ts hold little ephemeral influence. Long term. policies can influence. But not over a current cycle.

Based on those comments, you could only vote for Tony Abbott! :p
Agree vote for the bloke who has said he can't deliver a surplus in his first term and has a 10 year plan to get us back in the black. Great fiscal policy for party which claims to have the better economic credentials :rolleyes:

No because you described the opposite of Abbott's policies! Hence the :p

I actually prefer ALP's policies
- PPL scheme over LNP
- prefer to keep corporate tax rate the same
- don't really care about the NBN debate so happy with ALP or LNP

However, I do want a change of government as I feel the last 6 years has been the most damaging government in history.

It felt like this was a government who thought they had one or two terms max, so they forced through as many changes as possible in a short time but as a result implemented very few policies few well.They should have rolled out change, consolidated and then moved to the next important item. Instead we have mining taxes that scare off investors but doesn't collect tax (worst of both worlds), a carbon tax/ no, carbon trading scheme/ no, just no plan or idea how to change our carbon addiction, a NDIS that is a great idea but totally misses the mark etc etc. Federal governments should focus on $ and policy but work with the states to roll out services and industry assistance.

I also disagree with centralisation and this government has been all about getting their hands on more money and more power. This is akin to replacing local and medium size shops with Coles. Sure there are benefits to centralisation, including scale, but a Coles style government is not for me.

Lastly, the financial management has been atrocious. Enough has been said about this.

In short, ALP has the better ideas leading into this election but history says they are all talk no delivery, what is delivered is a mess and they are driven by envy not ambition.

I was being sarcastic!

However, I do want a change of government as I feel the last 6 years has been the most damaging government in history.

Even taking the Nazi's out of the equation, there are far more damaging governments in history than what we have had for the past 6 years........

- PPL scheme over LNP
- prefer to keep corporate tax rate the same
- don't really care about the NBN debate so happy with ALP or LNP

It felt like this was a government who thought they had one or two terms max, so they forced through as many changes as possible in a short time but as a result implemented very few policies few well.They should have rolled out change, consolidated and then moved to the next important item. Instead we have mining taxes that scare off investors but doesn't collect tax (worst of both worlds), a carbon tax/ no, carbon trading scheme/ no, just no plan or idea how to change our carbon addiction, a NDIS that is a great idea but totally misses the mark etc etc. Federal governments should focus on $ and policy but work with the states to roll out services and industry assistance.

I also disagree with centralisation and this government has been all about getting their hands on more money and more power. This is akin to replacing local and medium size shops with Coles. Sure there are benefits to centralisation, including scale, but a Coles style government is not for me.

Lastly, the financial management has been atrocious. Enough has been said about this.

In short, ALP has the better ideas leading into this election but history says they are all talk no delivery, what is delivered is a mess and they are driven by envy not ambition.

keating kelty hawke accords? floating dollar?
Libs could not have done that

Sorry, I was referring to the Rudd Gillard regime.

Keating was and still is my favourite PM as he modernised this nation. Hawke was a drunk turkey.

I was being sarcastic!

Even taking the Nazi's out of the equation, there are far more damaging governments in history than what we have had for the past 6 years........

I really do fear our political system is stuffed. If Rudd, Gillard, Abbott and co are the best we can come up with the our system needs a review.

Do we need to pay more? Do we set standards? Hey, you need to meet standards for a drivers licence but not a PM. How is that possible?

I really do fear our political system is stuffed. If Rudd, Gillard, Abbott and co are the best we can come up with the our system needs a review.

Do we need to pay more? Do we set standards? Hey, you need to meet standards for a drivers licence but not a PM. How is that possible?

The biggest problem is we have career politicians and 2 major parties. Most of them start out involved with the Young Liberals or Young Labor at university and then work for the party and then as a staffer to a sitting member.

The people who aren't involved in the Party are basically handled by party members and told what to say (see Jaymz Diaz) and have no input into the policies of the parties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be worse. I read an AFR article today suggesting Plibersek as a future post election Labor leader.

Could be worse. I read an AFR article today suggesting Plibersek as a future post election Labor leader.

It doesn't matter who takes the leadership after the election as it will change a few times before they settle on the "final product".

The biggest problem is we have career politicians and 2 major parties. Most of them start out involved with the Young Liberals or Young Labor at university and then work for the party and then as a staffer to a sitting member.

The people who aren't involved in the Party are basically handled by party members and told what to say (see Jaymz Diaz) and have no input into the policies of the parties.

I agree on the career politician issue but have major concerns over minority governments.

Hitler was able to rise under minority government as the extremes of the political spectrum have a greater influence.

Business Spectator quoted UBS analyst as saying Australia had structural deficit of 4% of GDP. Staggering. Gordon Brownesque and at a time of outstanding terms of trade. The situation is far worse than the media is portraying and meanwhile the bien pensants actually praise the "stewardship" of the ALP. Car crash coming and big spending cuts.

Ex accord (hopeless failure) the rest was in the Campbell report commissioned by you know who.

Business Spectator quoted UBS analyst as saying Australia had structural deficit of 4% of GDP. Staggering. Gordon Brownesque and at a time of outstanding terms of trade. The situation is far worse than the media is portraying and meanwhile the bien pensants actually praise the "stewardship" of the ALP. Car crash coming and big spending cuts.

Don't panic, you aren't the first to notice...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-22/parliamentary-budget-office-joe-hockey-howard-tax-cuts/4706152

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...ructural-deficit/story-fn59nsif-1226648141748

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013/05/the-secret-of-the-howard-governments-surpluses/

http://theconversation.com/federal-...able-structural-deficit-must-be-tackled-13723

http://theconversation.com/pbo-and-treasury-reports-confirm-it-the-deficit-is-unsustainable-14559

http://www.treasury.gov.au/Publicat...l-Budget-Balance-of-The-Australian-Government

It started with Howard back in the early 2000's. We had this conversation a few pages back.

Don't panic, you aren't the first to notice...

It started with Howard back in the early 2000's. We had this conversation a few pages back.

IIRC it slipped in to structural deficit in Howards last year (Treasury are probably underestimating the problem - then and now). If /when Australia goes in to deficit then there will be a cyclical element on top of the structural amount. Lets say that is 3% then Australia could be facing 7% if not more in terms of a deficit. That wont go in twelve months. Its going to take the Poms far more than five years to sort there deficit. In that time Australia could easily add 20-30% gdp to our outstanding debt.

from the Treasury paper you linked -

"While the IMF initially estimated that Ireland had been close to structural budget balance in 2007, its latest (April 2013) estimate now suggests a structural deficit of around 8½ per cent of potential GDP in 2007"

To say we have no debt problem somewhat misses the point.

Swan will be judged by history very harshly.

Ex accord (hopeless failure) the rest was in the Campbell report commissioned by you know who.
You want to give credit to the government (or more precisely the treasurer) at the time the report was commissioned rather than the one that expended the political capital by implementing it?
There's cheer leading then there's just bullshit. Which is it this time?

You want to give credit to the government (or more precisely the treasurer) at the time the report was commissioned rather than the one that expended the political capital by implementing it?
There's cheer leading then there's just bullshit. Which is it this time?

Did you comprehend the original post? It said the Libs could not have done that.

A) the policies arose from the Campbell Report
B) they voted in favour

That is not cheerleading.

That is simply stating the facts.

Guys, been away for a while, did Labor deliver their surplus they promised about 300 times ?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4

Not yet. But they are promising us they'll deliver one in 2016/17 in their last year of a next term in govt if they win.

No.

Hockey and Abbott hope to have a surplus in 10 Years though. Despite being emphatic that they would deliver one every year in January this year.

I've had to correct you on this so many times already the target is for a 1% of GDP surplus by 10 years. They haven't made a timeline promise for a surplus but they are aiming to achieve a surplus quicker then the ALP which is promising one in 2016/17. A 2 billion surplus whatever the paper thin number is that the ALP are forecasting isn't 1% of GDP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back