The Fitness & Weight Loss Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 28, 2006
MT OLYMPUS
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Olympiakos, McLaren
i was just looking at my washboard abs... i happened to notice its got quite a large portion of flab attatched to them.. it got me thinking that there must be other posters here that are overweight too...

so ive come up with an idea..
anyone interested in playing the magpie nest biggest loser?
we can do weekly updates, give training advice and diet tips to one another? let me know if anyone is intersted..

Re: weight loss game...

im starting my training and lifestyle changes tomorrow..

-currently sitting on 92 kgs... (my ideal weight is 78-80 kilos)
-also gonna start exercising for 1 to 1-1.5 hours a ady. mixture of weights and SOME cardio...
-will be implementing a high protein, low refined moderate carb allowance which is also fairly low in fats...

if you need any tips on training or diet i can give u plenty just let me know if require any.. on the other hand if u any fill me in...

just on the structure of this diet games... ho do we measure improvement? do u guys want to use the;
KG methods.. i.e how many kilos u lose? (not always a good indicator)
measure method. ie total centimetres lost of certain weight bearing points...
or body fat% loss?
let me know.. we can keep track and monitor each others progress..

OMG! How fortuitous! I've been thinking about going on a diet. I've put on almost 3 kilos since joining BF in October - which is really bad for a vegetarian. :thumbsdown::eek: It's all this sitting around posting instead of moving away from the computer.

I even went for a walk tonight. Great fat minds think alike, Spartan.:thumbsu:

im starting my training and lifestyle changes tomorrow..

-currently sitting on 92 kgs... (my ideal weight is 78-80 kilos)
-also gonna start exercising for 1 to 1-1.5 hours a ady. mixture of weights and SOME cardio...
-will be implementing a high protein, low refined moderate carb allowance which is also fairly low in fats...

if you need any tips on training or diet i can give u plenty just let me know if require any.. on the other hand if u any fill me in...

just on the structure of this diet games... ho do we measure improvement? do u guys want to use the;
KG methods.. i.e how many kilos u lose? (not always a good indicator)
measure method. ie total centimetres lost of certain weight bearing points...
or body fat% loss?
let me know.. we can keep track and monitor each others progress..

What about the, "I'm comfortable in my trousers again," system?
Or the, "I'm now prepared to go out and shop for clothes again," system?

a whole 3 kilos... WOW... try drinking a chilled glass of water before every meal or snack... the calories u burn reheating ur esophagus will probably cancel out ur 3kgs with a month...

while im here.. my tips for a healthier u...

- try to eat eat a small meal every 2-3 hours...hard at first but gets easier with time..
-chilled glass of water b4 each meal(burns extra calories without much exertion)
-include oats and low fat yogurt/ cottage cheese in ur diet- promotes fat loss.
-try fish oil tabs.. they help..
-get a multi vitamin..
-dont eat too much fruit-no more than 3 pieces a day- some fruits is high in sugar than others
-eat lots of veg empty calories
-avoid frying
-lots of good lean proitein
- avoid starchy foods, potatos (try sweet pot instead), white flours and sugars...

and train hard

a whole 3 kilos... WOW... try drinking a chilled glass of water before every meal or snack... the calories u burn reheating ur esophagus will probably cancel out ur 3kgs with a month...

while im here.. my tips for a healthier u...

- try to eat eat a small meal every 2-3 hours...hard at first but gets easier with time..
-chilled glass of water b4 each meal(burns extra calories without much exertion)
-include oats and low fat yogurt/ cottage cheese in ur diet- promotes fat loss.
-try fish oil tabs.. they help..
-get a multi vitamin..
-dont eat too much fruit-no more than 3 pieces a day- some fruits is high in sugar than others
-eat lots of veg empty calories
-avoid frying
-lots of good lean proitein
- avoid starchy foods, potatos (try sweet pot instead), white flours and sugars...

and train hard

ive literally started doing all this about a week ago
i used to play wafl and quite and have since ballooned out to 104kgs
i weighed myself 2 days ago and i had already lost 3.5kgs so it can be done its just about discipline and training hard, both of which i can draw back to pre season and dieitng from so its easy for me
im also only 20 so the weight should fall of me fast
i know an absolute truckload about working out and a fair bit about dieting
so if u want any tips about working out feel free to ask and tell me wat u wanna target...wat type of workout u enjoy and wat type of exercise u enjoy and i can hopefully help u or neone along the way
now
back to the tredmill :thumbsu::thumbsu:
but secretly its ...:mad:
hahha

Currently i'm about 170 cm and 71 Kg's so i'm not exactly overweight I don't think. I'm more just after the washboards and to lose a bit of puppy fat.

My one bit of advice is that walking is not better for weight loss than running.

Currently i'm about 170 cm and 71 Kg's so i'm not exactly overweight I don't think. I'm more just after the washboards and to lose a bit of puppy fat.

My one bit of advice is that walking is not better for weight loss than running.

if u wanna improve ur abs try doing weighted and angeled sit ups
obviously on an angle ur feet are above ur head as a starting position and with weighted get the bicep curl bar (the big one which u need 2 hands for) and put it across ur shoulders balancing it with ur hands and sit up that way

it depends on the indivual when it walking v running....
personally i think lifting weights is better than both(its a proven fact due to a thermogenic effect which last 3-4 hours after the workout) . and this has worked me before. i stopped trainng 4 years ago...

walking tends to attack fat better than running... running attacks both fat and muscle (encourages catablosim)..running is much worse for joints and much better for cardio vascular system.. u should want to maintain as much musscle as possible.

as for 71 kilos u sound fairly lean.. we are the same height and at 80 kgs i would be competing in a bodybuilding.... is your diet clean? are u holding alot of water under skin?
trying reducing ur salt intake and doing a very fast paced(fast enough that u dont have to jog) walk on empty stomach.. eat 6-7 meals a day and restrict carbs to green vegetableas after 4 o.clock..

another tip i remebered... have a very strong black cup of cpffee prior to each work out.. improves ur metabolism and if ur doing weights makes u alittle bit stronger...

if u wanna improve ur abs try doing weighted and angeled sit ups
obviously on an angle ur feet are above ur head as a starting position and with weighted get the bicep curl bar (the big one which u need 2 hands for) and put it across ur shoulders balancing it with ur hands and sit up that way

that depends... if he wants to thicken up the abdominal area that would be fine.. if he wants to expose the abs better i would advise high rep low resistance ab exercises..
e.g
roman chairs sit ups
leg lifts( hang off a chin up bar (quite hard)
standard crunches..
decline crunches
scissor crunches

do 3 of the exercises( 4 sets of 20-50 or build up to 4) everday..
most imortantly without very good diet (unless u have great genes) and regular training dont expect calvin klein abs.. its hard work.. also make sure u use strict form....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be really really keen guys. I'm 181cm - ish, and about 85kg. I love running especially (as I used to run with my dad, a marathon runner, but don't live with him anymore). I have a really bad diet, always eating lollies (skittles) and drinking heaps of soft drink, apple juice and lots and lots of milk. I would ideally like to lose some weight off my pot belly, and bulk up my already barrel chest and arms.

But most importantly, I have absolutely no idea about this type of thing. I used to, and still occasionally do go for hour-ish long runs, but obviously this isn't working. Any help guys? As I think this is a brilliant idea and I am really motivated to do it if we report back here and I can get some help...

I'd be really really keen guys. I'm 181cm - ish, and about 85kg. I love running especially (as I used to run with my dad, a marathon runner, but don't live with him anymore). I have a really bad diet, always eating lollies (skittles) and drinking heaps of soft drink, apple juice and lots and lots of milk. I would ideally like to lose some weight off my pot belly, and bulk up my already barrel chest and arms.

But most importantly, I have absolutely no idea about this type of thing. I used to, and still occasionally do go for hour-ish long runs, but obviously this isn't working. Any help guys? As I think this is a brilliant idea and I am really motivated to do it if we report back here and I can get some help...

try intense interval training

what i mean by that
eg on a exercise bike sprint (and i mean spring as hard as u can) for 20seconds and slow peddle for 10 and keep going
u can even do 100m sprints
eg sprint one.....have a slow jog to something 10/15m away then come back and do another 100m sprint

if u want good arms and chest and shoulders i suggest swimming

I'm about 170cm and 70kgs also and would really like a smooth stomach. There is definitely more fat there than muscle.

At the start of the year I started doing 100-200 situps up a day, but after about 2 months it didnt seem to help at all so I gave up. Maybe I should start doing a few weights too, but honestly, I just cbf.

And walking is a great thing to do, I walk to and from work most days, which ends up being about 80-90mins and I really enjoy it.

-try replacing softdrinks with water... if u cant diet drinks are a better replacement.. but they have sodium and aspartame isnt that great for you..
-avoid too much fruit juice-high in sugar-or if u need it squeeze urself..
-eat nuts instead of lollies.. good fats in nuts (moderate intake though)
- if u like milk- get a low fat kind and add a scoop of no carb/low carb protein mix to it and have after each work out..
-as for weight loss you are off investing in a tailors measuring tape.. 2 bux at coles.. take measuremens every week...
-if ur not reducing u need to change ur diet some more..
-as for exercise i cant really advise u about running (marathon style) im not overly experienced in it..
-if you want bigger arms arms and chest u need to either (a) join a gym.. or (b)uy a weights set.. ideally a set of dumbells and a bar..there is a good seller on ebay...
having said that ud want to train more than arms and chest.. ud want to include triceps(triceps are the majority of the upper arm mass), delts and back...

i could gladly suggest a weights regime that u could incorporate into a cardio routine.. id advise a brisk 30 minute walk...
if u want more info let me know how much experience you have with weights and we can figure out a routine..

i need to know whether u are beginner or intermediate and what u intend to do regarding the weights/gym membership...

I'm about 170cm and 70kgs also and would really like a smooth stomach. There is definitely more fat there than muscle.

At the start of the year I started doing 100-200 situps up a day, but after about 2 months it didnt seem to help at all so I gave up. Maybe I should start doing a few weights too, but honestly, I just cbf.

And walking is a great thing to do, I walk to and from work most days, which ends up being about 80-90mins and I really enjoy it.

the most important factor in abs is diet.. anyone tell u otherwise the either (A) dont know what they are talking about or (b) have good genes themselves and dont understand the physiology of the human body...

ask urself this...
-what is ur diet like? does it have the amount of proteins/carbs/fats?
-is ur walk fast enough to be a fat burning workout...
-can i bothered with gym.. u expend more carlories at the gym.. thus burning more fat and getting closer to the goal of the six pack...

the most important factor in abs is diet.. anyone tell u otherwise the either (A) dont know what they are talking about or (b) have good genes themselves and dont understand the physiology of the human body...

ask urself this...
-what is ur diet like? does it have the amount of proteins/carbs/fats?
-is ur walk fast enough to be a fat burning workout...
-can i bothered with gym.. u expend more carlories at the gym.. thus burning more fat and getting closer to the goal of the six pack...

I dont really wanna answer those questions...

1.Eat too many carbs - have a lot of bread and pasta.
2.My walk is a nice leisurely stroll along the yarra, so now I very much doubt it will burn any fat
3. I seriously would not bother physically going to the gym for 1 hour every 2nd or 3rd day, its just not in my nature

Probs should give up the **** too :p

I dont really wanna answer those questions...

1.Eat too many carbs - have a lot of bread and pasta.
2.My walk is a nice leisurely stroll along the yarra, so now I very much doubt it will burn any fat
3. I seriously would not bother physically going to the gym for 1 hour every 2nd or 3rd day, its just not in my nature

Probs should give up the **** too :p

- cut down on carbs- i love em too.. but u still need them to live...
-try no more than 2 slices of wholemeal bread per day..
-try and eat eat pasta no more than twice a week/try and find the low carb variety its a must...make sure its accompanied by a high protein sauce.. eg. marinara..(with lots of fish pieces) cubed steak chunks in tomato passata...
-avoid foods high in salt- that increase ur water retention.. creating the illusion of soft muscles
- increase ur pace when walking not to the point where u are slightly exerting urself...
- drink an ice cold galss of water before every meal....
- train abs smarter.. 3-4 exercises... 20-60 reps per set...
- if u want really good results u have to join a gym.. but can still get decents results with it..
- as for the smokes.. if u can figure out a way to quit ket me know..
_dont eat carbs after for o'clock if possible/ veg not included

-

- if u like milk- get a low fat kind and add a scoop of no carb/low carb protein mix to it and have after each work out..
Where could I find this? Just at Woolies?

-if you want bigger arms arms and chest u need to either (b)uy a weights set.. ideally a set of dumbells and a bar..there is a good seller on ebay...
having said that ud want to train more than arms and chest.. ud want to include triceps(triceps are the majority of the upper arm mass), delts and back...
Assuming I bought this equipment, what type of excercises should I do? Sets, Reps, etc :eek:

i could gladly suggest a weights regime that u could incorporate into a cardio routine.. id advise a brisk 30 minute walk...
if u want more info let me know how much experience you have with weights and we can figure out a routine..
That would be really good. I'll start with the walk today. Won't do the run. ATM I don't have any weights though, so should I start doing push ups or sit ups or something like that?

i need to know whether u are beginner or intermediate and what u intend to do regarding the weights/gym membership...
I'm probably in between beginner/intermediate and yeah, it's probably not in my nature to actually go to a gym. I reckon I'd be more likely to actually excercise at home or go running/ walk etc.[/quote]

Thanks so much to both yourself and frantelle. I am thoroughly appreciating and using the advice so far!! :thumbsu:

my problem is, i exercise like a monster, its no problem. i run 6-10ks a night five nights a week, and every morning i start it off with half an hour exercise, mix of weights/and quick cardio to get the heart pumping

the problem is the food though. i can never stick to diets, i eat the wrong type of food and at the wrong times too. like, you're advice to eat 6 short meals in a day is one ive heard many times, but its just not practical for me. i skip breakfast, skip lunch, and have snacks through out the day, then have a huge dinner around 6pm...then after like at 11pm im feeling good enough to go for a run

this way, im not losing weight, but i eat junk and s**t and i dont gain too much weight...but still i should be lighter than what i am...

one good thing i did with food is cut off all soft drinks, like 2 years ago. i drink heaps and heaps of water, dont drink coffee/tea, a lot of juice which i know too much is no good.

thing is, im in a new country now for three months, staying in a hotel so i cant cook for myself, and am always relying on outdoor food. thats bad.

I am currently 174 cm and 68kgs, unfortunantly i don't have a six pack and i don't think i ever will have any, i got a 2 and a half pack thing going on at the moment though!

anyway heres a tip do high intensity aerobic exercises, keep your muscles + burn fat, low intensity just burns everything off, look at sprinters vs marathon runners. those marathon runners looks like sticks.

Source: MF magazine :thumbsu:

Another tip, this one works for me, eat all your daily carbos during brekky and lunch, and stick a picture of a fat person on the fridge so you don;t snack

And i don't eat chocolate, pancakes, cakes or whatever, i don't drink soft drinks. A lot of sacrifices.
Sometimes if i have to snack i grab a few handfuls of uncle toby's oats, at least i am snacking on something healthy

hm this thread motivated me again, in three month i will post pictures :D i will start working out again next week when my flu goes away.

- cut down on carbs- i love em too.. but u still need them to live...
-try no more than 2 slices of wholemeal bread per day..
-try and eat eat pasta no more than twice a week/try and find the low carb variety its a must...make sure its accompanied by a high protein
sauce.. eg. marinara..(with lots of fish pieces) cubed steak chunks in tomato passata...
-avoid foods high in salt- that increase ur water retention.. creating the illusion of soft muscles
- increase ur pace when walking not to the point where u are slightly exerting urself...
- drink an ice cold galss of water before every meal....
- train abs smarter.. 3-4 exercises... 20-60 reps per set...
- if u want really good results u have to join a gym.. but can still get decents results with it..
- as for the smokes.. if u can figure out a way to quit ket me know..
_dont eat carbs after for o'clock if possible/ veg not included

holy crap i have 2 slices of bread every morning + pasta for lunch and on school days i eat an addition sandwich :D maybe thats why i don't have a six pack

it depends on the indivual when it walking v running....
personally i think lifting weights is better than both(its a proven fact due to a thermogenic effect which last 3-4 hours after the workout) . and this has worked me before. i stopped trainng 4 years ago...

walking tends to attack fat better than running... running attacks both fat and muscle (encourages catablosim)..running is much worse for joints and much better for cardio vascular system.. u should want to maintain as much musscle as possible.

as for 71 kilos u sound fairly lean.. we are the same height and at 80 kgs i would be competing in a bodybuilding.... is your diet clean? are u holding alot of water under skin?
trying reducing ur salt intake and doing a very fast paced(fast enough that u dont have to jog) walk on empty stomach.. eat 6-7 meals a day and restrict carbs to green vegetableas after 4 o.clock..

another tip i remebered... have a very strong black cup of cpffee prior to each work out.. improves ur metabolism and if ur doing weights makes u alittle bit stronger...
Sm, why walk on an mt stomach.

I thought you would loose muscle instead of fat doing that, like when you dont eat your body thinks your starving. I was told that once.

Great game, I'd like to loose 6kg. I've changed jobs and sit on my arse alot compared with what I did b4. Main problem is drinking a couple glasses of wine after tea and eating chips,cheese,nuts and biscuits. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back