The five things I've noticed - Round 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Swans were never going to drop that game, they wanted revenge from last year thats footy. Will Sydney lift like that every week? No i don't personally reckon, that was the best footy the Swans have played since the middle of last season.

Revenge from last year may have come into it if Freo went on an won the Grand Final but as you know they didn't because of a chronic attack of self asphyxiation on the Big day.
Sydney would not give a toss about revenge on Freo and why would they ? After all 3 Grand Final appearances in 7 years reaping 2 Premierships and missing another by a point is nothing to cry yourself to sleep about, especially when the side that you are seeking your so called revenge against has never won a premiership and going by the way things are going are no closer to ever saluting.

If you want to say the Swans are Edgar Britt and Freo are better than them that's fine but at least come up with something of substance and not the same logic of that of the captain of the local Under 11's side.

Last edited:
Revenge from last year may have come into it if Freo went on an won the Grand Final but as you know they didn't because of a chronic attack of self asphyxiation on the Big day.
Sydney would not give a toss about revenge on Freo and why would they ? After all 3 Grand Final appearances in 7 years reaping 2 Premierships and missing another by a point is nothing to cry yourself to sleep about, especially when the side that you are seeking your so called revenge against has never won a premiership and going by the way things are going are no closer to ever saluting.

If you want to say the Swans are Edgar Britt and Freo are better than them that's fine but at least come up with something of substance and not the same logic of that of the captain of the local Under 11's side.
Well I know if my local team got beat in a prelim they would be out to seek revenge the following season, your point proves nothing and your last paragraph is absolute rubbish, where did I state Freo were better?

i think many people have underestimated how the pies were gonna do this year.

I've got 10
1. Fremantle isn't a premiership contender.
2. The top 3 teams in the league being Geelong, Hawthorn & Port will not be touched in 2014 and are ridiculously so far in front.

Completely disagree. I see your points further below re: 2, namely -forward line isn't functioning (not helped by Walters), -undisciplined play -the draw.

First off, I fail to see how Port get included in that top group, when they have not yet beaten another truly strong team (Syd, Frem, Geel, Haw, Coll would be the teams in that likely top 6 bracket alongside Port). They have of course not yet had that opportunity (this season, I'm well aware of what happened in finals last year), so they can't be said to not be in that bracket either. I just think it's wrong to put them in this 'special' bracket the round after they beat West Coast (who did go 3-9 at home last year, 6-4 elsewhere). I haven't seen enough from WC this year to justify them as a genuine adversary for these teams so far ahead of the pack.

Don't get me wrong, I think Port are a strong chance to finish 3rd, particularly so ahead of Collingwood for a top 4 spot and Sydney will be playing catch up all season already 2 games + percentage behind. I think Port will make a real run at Geelong this week and have even tipped them for a win. I'm just interested as to why you 'noticed' this after round 5.

Secondly, Freo, not the only team to have been undisciplined (Geelong would have had a fair number of suspensions surely with the likes of SJ, Kelly, Scarlett, Chapman, Mooney in their team, uncompromising players not afraid to dish it out?) and no doubt this will be rectified in finals ala Freo at SS 2013. They have one of the biggest 'X-factors' for lack of a better term in Aaron Sandilands, who again as we saw v Geelong came in and dished it out to Hill, Barlow, Fyfe time and time again. You have 15 weeks to fix your forward line to make it reasonably competitive v Geelong/Hawthorn/Port/Sydney, while you can rely on the defence & midfield to win most other games against the pretenders (so wins won't be a problem).
Pavlich can have a forward line built around him.
And every side is just as likely after Geelong & Hawthorn as they are after you. Thankfully for the Dockers, Lyon isn't likely to let that get to his players. He's been in this position before (top team, lost GF, smashing a lot of other teams who are no doubt after Lyons teams scalp) and got his team through it.

Of course, Geelong-Hawthorn-Port might finish on 18+ wins each, and Freo might slump to 13 wins and scrape an away final, but I doubt either is likely, and especially on the back of this round I can't see it. Fremantle are every chance to make the 4 and that's the first step to being a premiership contender, make the 4 and you are more likely than 14 other teams.

Completely disagree. I see your points further below re: 2, namely -forward line isn't functioning (not helped by Walters), -undisciplined play -the draw.

First off, I fail to see how Port get included in that top group, when they have not yet beaten another truly strong team (Syd, Frem, Geel, Haw, Coll would be the teams in that likely top 6 bracket alongside Port). They have of course not yet had that opportunity (this season, I'm well aware of what happened in finals last year), so they can't be said to not be in that bracket either. I just think it's wrong to put them in this 'special' bracket the round after they beat West Coast (who did go 3-9 at home last year, 6-4 elsewhere). I haven't seen enough from WC this year to justify them as a genuine adversary for these teams so far ahead of the pack.

Don't get me wrong, I think Port are a strong chance to finish 3rd, particularly so ahead of Collingwood for a top 4 spot and Sydney will be playing catch up all season already 2 games + percentage behind. I think Port will make a real run at Geelong this week and have even tipped them for a win. I'm just interested as to why you 'noticed' this after round 5.

Secondly, Freo, not the only team to have been undisciplined (Geelong would have had a fair number of suspensions surely with the likes of SJ, Kelly, Scarlett, Chapman, Mooney in their team, uncompromising players not afraid to dish it out?) and no doubt this will be rectified in finals ala Freo at SS 2013. They have one of the biggest 'X-factors' for lack of a better term in Aaron Sandilands, who again as we saw v Geelong came in and dished it out to Hill, Barlow, Fyfe time and time again. You have 15 weeks to fix your forward line to make it reasonably competitive v Geelong/Hawthorn/Port/Sydney, while you can rely on the defence & midfield to win most other games against the pretenders (so wins won't be a problem).
Pavlich can have a forward line built around him.
And every side is just as likely after Geelong & Hawthorn as they are after you. Thankfully for the Dockers, Lyon isn't likely to let that get to his players. He's been in this position before (top team, lost GF, smashing a lot of other teams who are no doubt after Lyons teams scalp) and got his team through it.

Of course, Geelong-Hawthorn-Port might finish on 18+ wins each, and Freo might slump to 13 wins and scrape an away final, but I doubt either is likely, and especially on the back of this round I can't see it. Fremantle are every chance to make the 4 and that's the first step to being a premiership contender, make the 4 and you are more likely than 14 other teams.
To be honest mate it was a bit early for me to make those calls.

The reason I've put Port in that top 3 bracket personally I reckon they are playing the best footy in the league, but at this time last year Essendon was so anything can happen.

How do you think they'll go?

Bottom half of the 8, won't make a dent in the finals.
we have the potential to finish top 4. our fwd line will only get dangerous once reid comes back. Our back line is gelling very well,we have been able to restrict teams scoring (except the fremantle game). But we might drop a game or two to teams we would be expected to beat, which is expected when you consider the fact that we have one of the most inexperienced defence in the league atm. I belive we can make a dent in the finals because i believe in our cream to have a big say on matches.

The reason I've put Port in that top 3 bracket personally I reckon they are playing the best footy in the league, but at this time last year Essendon was so anything can happen.
but you have to marvel at ports ability to run out games. they are seriously burning their oppositions of

I don't think you'd be too far wrong, maybe before the Cats loss where the Cats forced turnovers and showed them up key defender wise, I would have had Hawthorn number 1, and the Cats have done nothing more than coast their way to a lazy 5-0 with some injuries (all their possible 2nd key forward options-Vardy/Walker/Kersten, + Motlop/Christensen important to that open 50 gameplan) and well underdone players (Enright, Mackie, Burbury), so Ports footy may well be the best in the league at the moment. As shown against WC they can definitely bring the pressure and withstand it, and their fitness is well-documented.

But yeah, I just think you've gone too early and Freo are every chance to be up there again, while Ports top 4 chances are firmly in the "look the goods but unproven" basket for me.

But yeah, I just think you've gone too early and Freo are every chance to be up there again, while Ports top 4 chances are firmly in the "look the goods but unproven" basket for me.

It's Round 5. Of course it's early to make absolute calls about how the season will actually unfold, however making assessments by looking at what's already happened this season and playing a bit of guesswork about what's to come is all a bit of fun (for supporters of the clubs who are doing well).

Freo's forward line isn't working too well at the moment, while Port is carving sides apart. Not a bad thought leaving Freo's unattractive style of footy out of finals talks at the moment while talking up Port's brilliant play for a top four finish.

Predictions this far out are silly. So is the thought of owning an Aston Martin. But it sure is nice to think about!

Last edited:
It's Round 5. Of course it's early to make absolute calls about how the season will actually unfold, however making assessments by looking at what's already happened this season and playing a bit of guesswork about what's to come is all a bit of fun (for supporters of the clubs who are doing well).

Freo's forward line isn't working too well at the moment, while Port is carving sides apart. Not a bad thought leaving Freo's unattractive style of footy out of finals talks at the moment while talking up Port's brilliant play for a top four finish.

Predictions this far out are silly. So is the thought of owning an Aston Martin. But it sure is nice to think about!

True, I wasn't trying to stop Xanman from making predictions, I thought their others were reasonable but was just interested in their thoughts as to why for Port top 3/Freo not a contender? Was genuinely interested in whether maybe I was missing something (Xanman would obviously know Freo a lot better than I) etc.

Agree entirely with you though, hindsight is no where near as much fun as predictions!

True, I wasn't trying to stop Xanman from making predictions, I thought their others were reasonable but was just interested in their thoughts as to why for Port top 3/Freo not a contender? Was genuinely interested in whether maybe I was missing something (Xanman would obviously know Freo a lot better than I) etc.

Agree entirely with you though, hindsight is no where near as much fun as predictions!

We're here to ask questions, answer questions, opine, rebut others opinions, because we love the game.

To answer you though, I guess people look at Freo and see that they haven't been as damaging this season.

I look at their Round 1 mauling of Collingwood and think that they might just be having a lean few weeks. If a team can perform like Freo did in Round 1, then write that team off at your peril. As for Port, everyone's being seduced by the way they're going about things. Look at their list and age profile as well as their performances and you can understand why some are putting them ahead of Freo. They've been fantastic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back