The foodies thread 🦞🍤🍕🥞

Remove this Banner Ad

This might make me a total ******, but I'm joining the ballot to have dinner at Fat Duck:oops:
$525 per head for 15 courses.

I'm the same, I don't quite know how I'm going to afford it yet but it is something I definitely want to do! I've been following Heston since before he got massive here on TV (I probably would've been in year 8 haha). Hopefully if I don't get a booking, my boss can get some for me since he has some strong connections (thats a long shot though).

I'd only do it once in a lifetime. It's either do it at the pop up in Melbourne or travel to London and go to the original Fat Duck. Heston is a bloody genius, I'm sure it would be worth it! (Your treat HBF ? :p )

You can pay for the airfares then MEB_
And I only travel business or first class.

I'll get dinner at the Fat Duck..

Just about everyone I know is dieting for their summer body or whatever.

Meanwhile, I just ordered a delicious supreme pizza from Dominos. Extra mushroom, capsicum and bacon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not just the food, it's the total theatre experience. It's not just quail on a plate...it's science and art.

Hrrrm... I'll let you spend the money and then you can tell me whether it's worth it or not ;)

Can you explain the Science and Art thing?

It's not so much sitting down for some food. Theres a whole element of theatre with it, for example the egg and bacon ice-cream. The staff present it by cracking an egg filled with the ice cream base into a bowl and then liquid nitrogen is poured into the bowl and the ice-cream is frozen which is suppose to be the 'scrambling' of the egg. The presentation of the food itself is art and incredibly clever and deceiving at times. For example the vegetarian pot au feu which is designed to look like marrowbone yet it isn't. He utilises every sense you have while eating trying to evoke memories from somewhere else or take you to another place. A few of his television series have been based on certain stories or certain time periods and he uses that as inspiration. For example, he did a feast based on Willy Wonka and he created a wall with edible wallpaper.

The science part of it is using new pieces of equipment in the kitchen that may have never been used before or new ingredients, or applying new techniques into the kitchen not necessarily to be different but to find ways to make the food more consistent. He was one of the first chefs to begin using liquid nitrogen in a restaurant and now its commonly used in restaurants all over the world.

It may be a massive amount of money to pay for dinner, but to me, its more than dinner. Its an entire experience.

Last edited:
It's not so much sitting down for some food. Theres a whole element of theatre with it, for example the egg and bacon ice-cream. The staff present it by cracking an egg filled with the ice cream base into a bowl and then liquid nitrogen is poured into the bowl and the ice-cream is frozen which is suppose to be the 'scrambling' of the egg. The presentation of the food itself is art and incredibly clever and deceiving at times. For example the vegetarian pot au feu which is designed to look like marrowbone yet it isn't. He utilises every sense you have while eating trying to evoke memories from somewhere else or take you to another place. A few of his television series have been based on certain stories or certain time periods and he uses that as inspiration. For example, he did a feast based on Willy Wonka and he created a wall with edible wallpaper.

The science part of it is using new pieces of equipment in the kitchen that may have never been used before or new ingredients, or applying new techniques into the kitchen not necessarily to be different but to find ways to make the food more consistent. He was one of the first chefs to begin using liquid nitrogen in a restaurant and now its commonly used in restaurants all over the world.

It may be a massive amount of money to pay for dinner, but to me, its more than dinner. Its an entire experience.

Exactly JB!

All this talk about Heston has got me in the mood to re-read his books and watch all his youtube videos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back