The football video games thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Picked up the new FM over the weekend - Toon get a SFA wage budget and about 1.5m transfer kitty. Thankfully I started with Saivet and Shelvey so my CM stocks are a bit stronger. Got Cole on loan at LB and trying to get Michu on a free to boost my attacking options. Need another CB but won't have the money. Found a really good young Argie CB prospect available relatively cheap - just need to drum up the cash to get him.

Janmaat seems popular - fended off bids from Chelsea, Man Utd and PSG already and Perez seems to be our best prospect in the squad.
Raid Brazil and Argentina. Lots of prospects you'll be able to sign provided work permits don't get in your way. Mamana is very good. I have him now, has developed nicely. Go for Balanta too - should be able to get him for 2.5m with v cheap wages. Clear off a lot of your deadwood too to up your budget. You can always try asking for a bigger transfer budget too.

Sign Malcom (LW/CF), Jemerson (CB). Duarte from Sociedad.

Zivkovic from Partizan.

Raid Brazil and Argentina. Lots of prospects you'll be able to sign provided work permits don't get in your way. Mamana is very good. I have him now, has developed nicely. Go for Balanta too - should be able to get him for 2.5m with v cheap wages. Clear off a lot of your deadwood too to up your budget. You can always try asking for a bigger transfer budget too.

Sign Malcom (LW/CF), Jemerson (CB). Duarte from Sociedad.

Zivkovic from Partizan.

Looked those guys up last night and all very impressive! Got a bid for Zivkovic under consideration. :)

Asking for a bigger budget off Ashley :D

I asked so I could get a few of the other wonderkids in through the door. Here's his initial reaction.

774430-System__Resources__Image-885945.jpg

After he realised I was serious, he threatened to bring back and appoint Joe Kinnear as Director of Football if I didn't get on with the job. :(

I'm scared to return to my office. :p
460KinnearTomJenkins.jpg

So I resigned from Shrewsberry. It wasn't working out. So I moved across to fellow strugglers Bury to see if I can work my magic and keep them out of the relegation zone.

How long were you at Shewsberry for kreg?

3/4 of a year.

Short stay. I normally stick with my clubs for a good 3-5 years, not really a nomad manager, though always thought it would be fun to start at the bottom and try to climb to the top by moving job to job. Got to give that a go one day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finished 5th second season at Spurs after a truly Spursy end to the season. Final 3 games

Norwich (h) 1-1
Southampton (a) 2-1 loss
Palace (h) 4-0 win

Finished the season 1 point behind Chelsea who also only managed 4 points across their final 3 games!

On the plus side I did win the FA Cup 3-0 against City despite having no Harry Kane or Lamela for the final. Got Tielemans (7.5m) & Axel Witsel (Bosman) joining when the window opens. Bit overloaded in the middle of the park and light out wide, anyone got any good formations that work without wingers?

Finished 5th second season at Spurs after a truly Spursy end to the season. Final 3 games

Norwich (h) 1-1
Southampton (a) 2-1 loss
Palace (h) 4-0 win

Finished the season 1 point behind Chelsea who also only managed 4 points across their final 3 games!

On the plus side I did win the FA Cup 3-0 against City despite having no Harry Kane or Lamela for the final. Got Tielemans (7.5m) & Axel Witsel (Bosman) joining when the window opens. Bit overloaded in the middle of the park and light out wide, anyone got any good formations that work without wingers?
4-4-2 diamond narrow with you're full backs set to either complete wing back or wing back is a good one when you don't have wingers. Also if you have a lot of good central attacking mids you could go a 4-2-3-1 narrow with the 3 all in the centre. I like playing that one with the striker set as a false 9 and the most central of the 3 AM's set as a second striker as the defense finds it really hard to pick those players up. if you also have one of the CM's set to box-to-box on top of that it causes all sorts of problems for the defence with the AM and the CM bombing on past the false 9. You could also push the CM's back to DM's if you want a bit more cover.

I'm going to do a serious career mode soon...but I indulged myself over the weekend and obliterated the mackems 33-0 in the derby. Felt so good. :D

Clearly 'Sum Ugly Mackem's' (Sunderland manager) decision to field a team of goalkeepers playing as strikers and attacking mids backfired spectacularly as was naming Lee Clattermole in goal. The diminutive North Korean manager proceeded to storm out of the post game press conference when asked for her thoughts on her team's performance.

Yeah, decent fun.

How does it work in terms of your starting squad? Do you get random generated players or do you start with an empty squad that you need to build from scratch.

I was thinking of giving it a go over the weekend.

In previous FMs, I've always enjoyed the challenge of making a club in the top flight and seeing if I can keep them up with only a team made up of frees, transfer listed and loan signings.

How does it work in terms of your starting squad? Do you get random generated players or do you start with an empty squad that you need to build from scratch.

I was thinking of giving it a go over the weekend.

In previous FMs, I've always enjoyed the challenge of making a club in the top flight and seeing if I can keep them up with only a team made up of frees, transfer listed and loan signings.
Basically you choose a current squad to replace, choose the new city and stuff like kit etc. You can then choose if you want to keep any of the old players or if you want a whole new squad. And you just fill out the team.

Basically you choose a current squad to replace, choose the new city and stuff like kit etc. You can then choose if you want to keep any of the old players or if you want a whole new squad. And you just fill out the team.

Awesome! Super keen to try this.

Fill out the team in what way?

Fill out the team in what way?
Select whatever players you want. Create your own, choose players from other sides e.g. If I choose to replace West Ham, I can choose to bring in players in the database that weren't previously contracted to West Ham, provided it's within my budget. E.g. I could bring in Messi, but it'd take a large chunk of my budget.

Select whatever players you want. Create your own, choose players from other sides e.g. If I choose to replace West Ham, I can choose to bring in players in the database that weren't previously contracted to West Ham, provided it's within my budget. E.g. I could bring in Messi, but it'd take a large chunk of my budget.
This sounds like fun.

Oh budget, boo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back