Mega Thread The Franklin Mint - All Buddy angst, rants, etc to go in here AND NOWHERE ELSE

Remove this Banner Ad

Think there's a fair bit of point missing going on here.
We may feel kinder towards him after he's hung up the boots, but so long as he's running around in a $ydney jumper actively trying to win a flag for one of our rivals, after taking a deal even he must have known would screw us out of getting reasonable compensation, I will continue to treat with him with the disdain & contempt he deserves.

Not only that, but Franklin has always been a cocky, strutting showpony. He's a shallow, pretentious tosspot who hangs around with Rugby dickheads. We were willing to overlook his personality while he was kicking goals in a Hawthorn jumper, but now that he's turncoated to the $wines he no longer gets a free pass.

There will be plenty of time next decade to reflect on his years at Hawthorn with fondness, but for now I want to see crash & burn in Sydney because Richard Colless, Andrew Pridham & Andrew Ireland deserve to have this ridiculous 9 year contract rubbed in their faces.

We may feel kinder towards him after he's hung up the boots, but so long as he's running around in a $ydney jumper actively trying to win a flag for one of our rivals, after taking a deal even he must have known would screw us out of getting reasonable compensation, I will continue to treat with him with the disdain & contempt he deserves.

Not only that, but Franklin has always been a cocky, strutting showpony. He's a shallow, pretentious tosspot who hangs around with Rugby dickheads. We were willing to overlook his personality while he was kicking goals in a Hawthorn jumper, but now that he's turncoated to the $wines he no longer gets a free pass.

There will be plenty of time next decade to reflect on his years at Hawthorn with fondness, but for now I want to see crash & burn in Sydney because Richard Colless, Andrew Pridham & Andrew Ireland deserve to have this ridiculous 9 year contract rubbed in their faces.

None of my point revolves around how well his time spent playing football for the Swans pans out.

I'll wait for his career to pan out. I've admired many of his on-field feats but never been totally enamoured with him. I've always loved his raw talent, but oddly, the first time I really started to respect him was in the 2011 loss to the Pies in the prelim. (He tried so hard and overcame what looked like a very significant knee injury.) But even more oddly, around that time I began to feel we're a better side without him despite his enormous talent (just go back through my posts on this board).

I do think he is having mental issues and wish him all the best in handling them.

I'm glad he's back in the game, I wish him well mental illness of any kind is hard work, let alone having to do it in public. Do I wish he'd stayed or at least given us a trade, of course but he didn't, so I don't dwell on it.

Personally I find it hypocritical to dislike/hate players when they move clubs, yet will embrace players moving to us. Sometimes we benefit sometimes will lose, much like life.

Would your view have changed had the Swines won the last 2 flags instead of us, with Judas starring in both years?

Bloodz Culture yeah right!

What would that be exactly?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Something for TV commentators to throw around whenever they make the finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad he's back in the game, I wish him well mental illness of any kind is hard work, let alone having to do it in public. Do I wish he'd stayed or at least given us a trade, of course but he didn't, so I don't dwell on it.

Personally I find it hypocritical to dislike/hate players when they move clubs, yet will embrace players moving to us. Sometimes we benefit sometimes will lose, much like life.
Personally I'd find it hypocritical too, if a player came to Hawthorn the day after we beat his team in a GF and said he wanted to turn on his mates and play for us. And we thought it was awesome. THAT would be hypocritical. However, we approach players and say how about a flag in your twilight years and they say "why not"

They don't come running to us after a GF loss. If he had a fit in my bathtub, I'd throw the washing in with him.

3 month intensive recovery from mental illness...sign me up!

Look at someone like Mitch Clark with genuine mental health issues. You can literally see him fighting his demons.

Considering this is the first we have heard from him since he stepped away from the game, I don't think we are in any position to determine whether he is struggling with demons or not. Each person deals with their depression differently - not everyone is a Mitch Clarke clone.

Look at someone like Mitch Clark with genuine mental health issues. You can literally see him fighting his demons.

Winston Churchill led a country to victory in a war while being someone who suffered manic depression. Mental illness isn't just one lot of symptoms and one outward display of how it is affecting someone. Speculate as to whether he was mentally ill or just on drugs all you like - but perpetuating continued misunderstandings of mental illness isn't helpful.

The demons are a lot more manageable when on a salary of ~$1,000,000 a year, I'd imagine :)

Meh. Today's reports on Liam Pickering are interesting.
Sadly the bloke just comes across as a bit of a snake in the grass and has form to prove it.

Winston Churchill led a country to victory in a war while being someone who suffered manic depression. Mental illness isn't just one lot of symptoms and one outward display of how it is affecting someone. Speculate as to whether he was mentally ill or just on drugs all you like - but perpetuating continued misunderstandings of mental illness isn't helpful.
Considering this is the first we have heard from him since he stepped away from the game, I don't think we are in any position to determine whether he is struggling with demons or not. Each person deals with their depression differently - not everyone is a Mitch Clarke clone.
I've been battling (diagnosed) clinical depression for 15+ years. I'm functional but have my mitch clark moments. If we hear no more of Buddy's 'mental illness' in the comimg years then i"m skeptical.

It felt like your standard sanitised footy media presser. Well rehearsed & plenty of repeated cliches, including "healthy & happy". As Franklin himself said, he's not big on expressing himself.

We got a more in depth comment from Longmire, who said that the issues don't go away just because Franklin turns up to a training session.

Last edited:
Sadly the bloke just comes across as a bit of a snake in the grass and has form to prove it.

The QC acting for Pickering's former company in the litigation against Pickering's new company is a mad Hawthorn supporter (and that extends to his two children). He's represented Hawthorn players at the AFL Tribunal free of charge, but unfortunately hasn't been particularly successful in defending his clients at the Tribunal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back