Mega Thread The Franklin Mint - All Buddy angst, rants, etc to go in here AND NOWHERE ELSE

Remove this Banner Ad

The anonymity bit was a delusional dream. You said yourself that he is/was the most recognisable footballer in the country.....so why would that be different in another state in the same country.

For mine.....I would not have left Hawthorn or another club that was in the same position as HFC in a month of pink fits to take up any deal. As they say "loyalty can't be bought".

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

No amount of money would sway me. Yes thereis a chance the club you are loyal to could shaft you in the final year/s of your career but being a 1 club player is better than being a money mercenary

No amount of money would sway me. Yes thereis a chance the club you are loyal to could shaft you in the final year/s of your career but being a 1 club player is better than being a money mercenary
What if you got drafted by the $wans and the offer was from the Hawks?

Even as just a supporter, I could offer you $10,000 to, say, change your allegiances to Essenscum or the COLA, which means turning up to their games, buying the merchandise, everything you'd be doing now with Hawthorn. And of course removing all brown and gold from your life.

Of course, you'd say not a chance in hell (I'd expect).

However, if I turned up on your doorstep and presented the cash right in front of you, well, then it becomes a little more real and thought processes start heading down the path of 'actually, I think my complexion tends to complement red and black...'

Even as just a supporter, I could offer you $10,000 to, say, change your allegiances to Essenscum or the COLA, which means turning up to their games, buying the merchandise, everything you'd be doing now with Hawthorn. And of course removing all brown and gold from your life.

However, if I turned up on your doorstep and presented the cash right in front of you, well, then it becomes a little more real and thought processes start heading down the path of 'actually, I think my complexion tends to complement red and black...'

I still wouldn't I'm not stupid enough to sign for a corrupt team :D

Believe it or not some people are not tempted by money in the slightest :)

Lol, very few sadly. My take on human beings is they are weak and greedy, and in the end, self-interest takes over regardless of intention.

I only say this though as I have had a slight experience with this thing called 'society', some refer to as the 'outside world'. :p

And this sums up my take on Buddy Franklin and the COLA swanettes.

Lol, very few sadly. My take on human beings is they are weak and greedy, and in the end, self-interest takes over regardless of intention.

I only say this though as I have had a slight experience with this thing called 'society', some refer to as the 'outside world'. :p

And this sums up my take on Buddy Franklin and the COLA swanettes.
I halved my salary to teach in schools. (more than "halved" in fact) Went from $102k a year to $45k 11 years ago. While I am now a lot poorer than I would have been had I not changed (cyclones aside) I would not be swayed by money. The proof as they say is in the pudding.

I think most people even those who are motivated economically, would at the very least think to themselves how would this look if I switched teams for money. I don't want people thinking of me like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I halved my salary to teach in schools. (more than "halved" in fact) Went from $102k a year to $45k 11 years ago.

My brother did the same thing... lifestyle change, more time with the kids, etc. I still categorize that as 'self interest' though.

If you turned up on my door Mr Omith, with 10k and asked me to support Essendon instead, you might find yourself keeping that money and using it on a nose-job after I slam the door in your face.

If you turned up on my door Mr Omith, with 10k and asked me to support Essendon instead, you might find yourself keeping that money and using it on a nose-job after I slam the door in your face.
You might also need a trip to the proctologist after I advised you of a safe place to keep your money.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

$10,000 wouldn't really be that much once you buy memberships and merchandise. You'd probably still have most of it left initially but then the ongoing costs of being a member and updating your merch would see you out of pocket soon enough.

You'd need to up your offer by a factor of 10 and even then my support would be passive. No membership or merchandise. Watch the occasional game each season (the ones v Hawks and while I'd have to cheer the scum outwardly, on the inside I'd be glad the Hawks are belting them).

I'm very passionate about Hawthorn - checking these boards every day of the off season for the tiniest bit of news or discussion is testament to that - and it takes up a decent part of my spare time and brings me a lot of enjoyment (particularly the last few years!) and I'd be reluctant to trade that for a cash amount that couldn't instantly change my life for the better.

I'm even doubting that I'd improve my net happiness with $100k if it meant not being able to support the Hawks any longer. Especially if I had to replace with the Scum.

Franklin is a professional footballer who already has achieved the ultimate goal twice. He got an amazing offer and accepted.
When talking about loyalty, one only has to listen to Ayres and Brereton on Open Mike, to get their views of Hawthorn and the loyalty shown to them.

Mind you, I wonder just how much he regrets leaving Hawthorn after watching his mates receive another 2 premiership medals.

Franklin is a professional footballer who already has achieved the ultimate goal twice. He got an amazing offer and accepted.
When talking about loyalty, one only has to listen to Ayres and Brereton on Open Mike, to get their views of Hawthorn and the loyalty shown to them.

Mind you, I wonder just how much he regrets leaving Hawthorn after watching his mates receive another 2 premiership medals.

And the supporters are just as bad.
People come on here and are happy to say "trade Breust" or "trade Brad Hill" or other players, but if he or any player leaves, he's a traitor.

Double standards are easy to maintain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back