Mega Thread The Franklin Mint - All Buddy angst, rants, etc to go in here AND NOWHERE ELSE

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed to come onto the board, reading all the Hawks supporters giving Buddy s**t. Was expecting a 200th game tribute thread or something like that. I don't care if he plays for another club now, he was the reason I went to games as a kid and I grew up watching him do things I'll probably never see again. He won two premierships for us - how quick people are to forget this. Hope he plays an absolute blinder and continues his great form for years to come - as long as he doesn't play well against us!

Disappointed to come onto the board, reading all the Hawks supporters giving Buddy s**t. Was expecting a 200th game tribute thread or something like that. I don't care if he plays for another club now, he was the reason I went to games as a kid and I grew up watching him do things I'll probably never see again. He won two premierships for us - how quick people are to forget this. Hope he plays an absolute blinder and continues his great form for years to come - as long as he doesn't play well against us!

Don't be disappointed, he's filth..... no more than 2 weeks after a grand final loss he was selling himself to the club we lost too, it doesn't get filthier than that.

WITH. He won 2 premierships with us, not "for us".

If he wasn't playing in 2007 or 2008, we wouldn't have won the flag - don't downplay his importance to us at the time. The bitterness here is terrible! Don't tell me you wouldn't take a $10 million contract to go and ply your trade somewhere else...
It's not as if he would of been playing on chips at Hawthorn, it;s how he left thats left alot of people burnt, he handled himself very poorly and only once he retires will I thank him for his contribution to the club, right now he's the enemy that has dented our Grandfinal chances

If he wasn't playing in 2007 or 2008, we wouldn't have won the flag - don't downplay his importance to us at the time. The bitterness here is terrible! Don't tell me you wouldn't take a $10 million contract to go and ply your trade somewhere else...
His efforts in 2008 were very valuable but he couldn't kick 100 goals in a season without the silver service our midfield supplied him or the great talents of Roughead and Williams preventing Buddy from being consistently double and triple teamed by opposition defences.

So again he won premierships with us, not for us. He was part of a very good team. Thanks for the contribution Buddy but if he wanted Hawks fans to praise him for reaching his 200th then perhaps he shouldn't have ****ed us over. No, not by leaving for money but by deceiving us in a way that didn't allow us to get fair compensation for him.

His efforts in 2008 were very valuable but he couldn't kick 100 goals in a season without the silver service our midfield supplied him or the great talents of Roughead and Williams preventing Buddy from being consistently double and triple teamed by opposition defences.

So again he won premierships with us, not for us. He was part of a very good team. Thanks for the contribution Buddy but if he wanted Hawks fans to praise him for reaching his 200th then perhaps he shouldn't have ****** us over. No, not by leaving for money but by deceiving us in a way that didn't allow us to get fair compensation for him.

That is the main issue. With free agency, unlike trade we did not get fair value for him. If he really wanted to leave and we could trade we could have had 2 good players, eg Kennedy/McGlyn back or Kennedy/Parker or Parker/Reid. We had to come up with 2 first round picks for Burgoyne think of what Sydney would have come up with if they wanted Buddy via trade. It is somewhat what AFl brought out as well but I agree keeping club in the dark and not being able to trade him a year earlier etc. Like Lake, we still traded our first pick even though he had a year to run on his contract.

That's the main sticking point here with Buddy. That he approached a club who just beat us in a G/F & we got way unders for him. It was deceitful & the Swans & AFL used the F/A rules to perfection to screw us over!
Personally I don't care he's gone, because it just show his moral values.
Yes granted the money blah blah everyone would take an offer like that to set you up for life. He still would of been well remunerated with us & his standing in the game with of been untarnished.
No stuff him we got bugger all for him (thanks AFL) just hearing Gilligan after the compo picks were announced to us makes me sick in the guts. Oh HFC deserve what they got for Buddy why should the current premier be made stronger! Yeah why can the current premier go out & recruit 1 premier forward after winning the flag & arguably land the best player in the comp. the following season!
I abhor corruption & If we salute this year how sweet will it be! F***k you AFL. Go HAWKS.

He doesn't play for the hawks - pop across to the Sydney board and leave your plaudits there

We made that prick into the player he is today. Clarko and the club turned a freakishly talented but extremely erratic athlete into a superstar of this game. If Richmond didnt stuff up and took Franklin his career path would have taken a completely different turn. We nurtured, mentored and harnessed his god given talent through YEARS of patience, persistence and rock solide work ethic.

The way he left us high and dry makes my stomach turn, the way he now announces that he is now a "better" player at Sydney makes my skin crawl, and seeing him run around in a swans jumper a few weeks ago at the G just made me really sad. Fu*k him and the horse he rode him on, Fu*k him and his scumbag AFL endorsed $wans. I really hope we play them and beat them in the GF - that would be sweat karma.

Evan, while I partly agree with you, I summarise it this way:

1. Buddy was the most exciting human footy flesh I ever saw, and it was a pleasure seeing him playing for us. He made going to the footy such an exhilarating experience

2. We are not accountants or businessmen, we are passionate supporters who love our club. The size of his contract or his motivation for leaving is meaningless and irrelevant.

3. He left the club in a manner that any supporter would find totally disloyal and ugly.

I can perfectly understand why any Hawk supporter would have any animosity towards him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS Clarkson just admitted that he advised Franklin to leave and go to an interstate team after the 2012 Grand Final

The sitdown interview with Mike Sheenan where he interviews Clarkson and Ross Lyon, he asks Clarko about the day Franklin told him that he was leaving and it was Tuesday after the Grand Final. Clarkson goes onto say that they both met up in America and Clarkson said that Franklin struggled living in Melbourne in 2012 and Clarkson said that if he was not happy living in Melbourne that the club would be okay with leaving and going interstate and they weren't going to stop or hold him back.

They showed the clip on FoxFooty before the Swans game... the whole interview will probably be shown before the game tomorrow I reckon

buddy was a great player. I love watching him strut his stuff (still do!), but from an unemotional perspective, he was a hit and miss player, making him somewhat inefficient and unreliable (he kicked goals in almost every game, but his erratic kicking meant that he could often be a low percentage forward option). as he would have been taking up a large chunk of our salary cap, him leaving the club would have allowed us to retain other stars and improve our overall forward efficiency.

in that sense, he's done us a favour...

The sitdown interview with Mike Sheenan where he interviews Clarkson and Ross Lyon, he asks Clarko about the day Franklin told him that he was leaving and it was Tuesday after the Grand Final.

Just makes a mockery of Franklin's continued insistence that he hadn't made his mind up until the last minute.

That's all well and good but what pisses me off to the core is that he went to Sydney rather than GWS. As a long time hater for everything $wans stand for he can GAGF. Loved what he did for us but as of post 2013 GF he is nothing to me.

FFS Clarkson just admitted that he advised Franklin to leave and go to an interstate team after the 2012 Grand Final

And all Buddy had to do last year was to say when he was continually asked about his plans was, "yes I want to leave". Then we could have got something for him rather than absolute nothing. His lying to everyone at Hawthorn that ensured we'd get nothing, and the Swans would only get stronger, is the s**t act. Not his leaving.

I would be dissapointed too.....and I am.

It may be just your wording; but he did not win two premierships for us. He had the good fortune to be part of the club at that time.

I grew up watching players in the late 70's and 80's. Some of these guys probably only had half of Buddy's football ability but would leave him in the shade when it came to honesty, integrity and committment to the Hawthorn Football Club.

His ability is undeniable but what he did was appalling and can't ever be justified. He treated the greater Hawthorn Football Club with contempt and disrespect, all for his own personal gain.

As for his career post Hawthorn.....he is just another player at another club.

It is what it is.

And all Buddy had to do last year was to say when he was continually asked about his plans was, "yes I want to leave". Then we could have got something for him rather than absolute nothing. His lying to everyone at Hawthorn that ensured we'd get nothing, and the Swans would only get stronger, is the s**t act. Not his leaving.
Further more, if he held the club in some regard we could of received compensation, instead he is a selfish, dirty stinking mercenary!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back