Mega Thread The Franklin Mint - All Buddy angst, rants, etc to go in here AND NOWHERE ELSE

Remove this Banner Ad

For mine, I tend to look at the reasons for leaving. As previously posted, I know the personal circumstances surrounding players such as Jarman and Burgyone and say fair enough. To me, they left their clubs for reasons far more important than football or money.

I look at the Kennedy situation where he was struggling to win a permanent place in the team and say fair enough. Okay, in time he would have paved a permanent spot with the Hawks, but I can understand him leaving. I understand the Lake situation where he'd given a great deal of service to lowly ranked club and dearly wanted to taste on field success, even though it meant a pay cut.

I don't know all the details about Ablett and Judd, but from the outside looking in, the motivation seemed to be money. Certainly Judd maintains he wanted to come home, but he wasn't going to do that unless he scored big $$$$ in the deal. Then he goes through the charade of pretending to shop himself around, even visiting clubs such as Melbourne. What in hell was that all about when the deal with Carlton had already been done months beforehand. I've learnt not to respect anything he says. Can't work the Ablett one out, there was a story he had family in Brisbane, but he appears to just enjoy being a big fish in a small pond.

Franklin's decision to leave just reeked of the mentality, "Stuff everyone else, it's all about me". What did he have to achieve by going to Sydney? Premierships and team success? He could have continued to do that at Hawthorn. Money? Well, yes, he is getting more at the Swans, but he was going to continue earning very good money at Hawthorn. It appears he was motivated more by the life style than any sound football decision. In the interim, he did his former club no favours at all, not allowing us a chance to strike a deal with Sydney. He let us down. We don't need people who will let the club down, not matter how much they can play the game.

If I was a Sydney supporter I'd be a little wary of the fact that Franklin didn't leave to play for the Swans, he left to live in Sydney. He will never bleed for the red and white jumper. Franklin doesn't understand the words loyalty and sacrifice. In a Grand Final, where there are more desperate opposition who will give everything for the jumper running straight him, he will side step. No way he will take one for the team, he doesn't have it in him.

For mine, I tend to look at the reasons for leaving. As previously posted, I know the personal circumstances surrounding players such as Jarman and Burgyone and say fair enough. To me, they left their clubs for reasons far more important than football or money.

I look at the Kennedy situation where he was struggling to win a permanent place in the team and say fair enough. Okay, in time he would have paved a permanent spot with the Hawks, but I can understand him leaving. I understand the Lake situation where he'd given a great deal of service to lowly ranked club and dearly wanted to taste on field success, even though it meant a pay cut.

I don't know all the details about Ablett and Judd, but from the outside looking in, the motivation seemed to be money. Certainly Judd maintains he wanted to come home, but he wasn't going to do that unless he scored big $$$$ in the deal. Then he goes through the charade of pretending to shop himself around, even visiting clubs such as Melbourne. What in hell was that all about when the deal with Carlton had already been done months beforehand. I've learnt not to respect anything he says. Can't work the Ablett one out, there was a story he had family in Brisbane, but he appears to just enjoy being a big fish in a small pond.

Franklin's decision to leave just reeked of the mentality, "Stuff everyone else, it's all about me". What did he have to achieve by going to Sydney? Premierships and team success? He could have continued to do that at Hawthorn. Money? Well, yes, he is getting more at the Swans, but he was going to continue earning very good money at Hawthorn. It appears he was motivated more by the life style than any sound football decision. In the interim, he did his former club no favours at all, not allowing us a chance to strike a deal with Sydney. He let us down. We don't need people who will let the club down, not matter how much they can play the game.

If I was a Sydney supporter I'd be a little wary of the fact that Franklin didn't leave to play for the Swans, he left to live in Sydney. He will never bleed for the red and white jumper. Franklin doesn't understand the words loyalty and sacrifice. In a Grand Final, where there are more desperate opposition who will give everything for the jumper running straight him, he will side step. No way he will take one for the team, he doesn't have it in him.
Franklin left to live in Sydney to expand his "celebrity" status!
He was already huge in Melbourne
His girlfriend is a d-grade celebrity, his "bungy brothers" mates are d-grade celebrities, cashing in on the fickle Sydney social scene
By going to the Swans instead of GWS it also gives him a realistic chance of success, which in turn helps his celebrity status in the town
He will give his all to win a flag with them, can you imagine his profile up there if they win it, especially in his first year there?

You say no way he will take one for the team, he doesn't have it in him!
I say it's not about the team, it's about Buddy and his profile, and whatever it takes to get a flag within 1/3 years!

Watching bits and pieces of him yesterday I am starting to move on, was gutted when he shafted us all but seeing him run around celebrating in a $ydney jumper with senior sitting up in the stands in a $wans scarf hit home what a tosser he is and we will be much better off without him in the long run, Hawthorn footy club was here along time before L Franklin and will be for a long time after, long live the brown and gold ....
#TeamFranklin

:drunk:

What a huge wank...

Asking this as a general question, please ignore I'm a Sydney supporter.

I've seen a lot of "he's just another player at another club" comments now. Whenever he does retire and stop playing AFL, will you say he is a Hawthorn great, a general great player, great Sydney player, a spud or something else?

I think this is a great question. The responses of some show we're still a bit raw over his defection, but personally I see two players - the Hawthorn great who kicked 100 goals in 2008 and helped us winning 2 premierships*, and the ******* campaigner who now plays for the opposition. I have fond memories of the former and I generally tend to ignore the latter, except for the Norm Smith battle with Roughie. ;)

* Never take for granted that little premiership cup that's sitting under our avators atm guys. They're pretty difficult to get and the Budster helped us grab two of 'em. When he costs Sydney the premiership this year due to wayward kicking (and he will), I shall sit back smugly and mutter the immortal words: 'It is what it is.' :cool:

Franklin left to live in Sydney to expand his "celebrity" status!
He was already huge in Melbourne
His girlfriend is a d-grade celebrity, his "bungy brothers" mates are d-grade celebrities, cashing in on the fickle Sydney social scene
By going to the Swans instead of GWS it also gives him a realistic chance of success, which in turn helps his celebrity status in the town
He will give his all to win a flag with them, can you imagine his profile up there if they win it, especially in his first year there?

You say no way he will take one for the team, he doesn't have it in him!
I say it's not about the team, it's about Buddy and his profile, and whatever it takes to get a flag within 1/3 years!

Nailed it.

Are you guys forgetting Gunston dogging the Crows?

Crows got something for him. And he told them he wanted to go.

Contrast this with: we got nothing for one of the premier players in the game. Because Buddy said nothing until it was too late.

Are you guys forgetting Gunston dogging the Crows?

Sure we are - had completely forgotten about him approaching the hawks two weeks after Adelaide beat us in a grand final (oh wait.....
Completely forgot that Adelaide got absolutely SFA for their all Australian, Coleman medal winning 100 game premiership player (oh wait......
Completely forgot that gunston asked for nine years to stop Adelaide matching the trade (oh wait......

If you think they are the same situations then I want you to take a serious look at how you would feel if fyfe had gone to the hawks at the end of this season and all of the above were factors

Sure we are - had completely forgotten about him approaching the hawks two weeks after Adelaide beat us in a grand final (oh wait.....
Completely forgot that Adelaide got absolutely SFA for their all Australian, Coleman medal winning 100 game premiership player (oh wait......
Completely forgot that gunston asked for nine years to stop Adelaide matching the trade (oh wait......

If you think they are the same situations then I want you to take a serious look at how you would feel if fyfe had gone to the hawks at the end of this season and all of the above were factors
It's staggering people don't get this

What is all this #TeamFranklin stuff? I don't watch Swans games, can someone enlighten me.
His entourage were all wearing white t-shirts with this slogan printed on it. The only one who wasn't was his dad who I think felt filthy enough having to wear a Swans scarf.

It's staggering people don't get this

It is staggering. A simple exercise of transposition makes it clearer though: select the best player from any club, put that into bitter rival's team, thus making them stronger. In the process, the team who gained the great player loses nothing, and the team that lost the player gets nothing. Smother it with a layer of lies and crocodile tears, the most cynical contract imaginable, and you have the situation in a nutshell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahem......who dogged who?

Quote from Wikipedia:
"After two years in Adelaide, Gunston became homesick and sought to return to Victoria. He had been awarded the Mark Bickley Award as the club's best young player, but he was stripped of the title after announcing his intentions to leave."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Gunston
Would've been a bit of an eye sore sitting on the mantle next to his premiership medallion.

I'm not going to put my grade 4 Athletics carnival participation certificate next to my Bachelor's degree on the wall for example.

Would've been a bit of an eye sore sitting on the mantle next to his premiership medallion.

I'm not going to put my grade 4 Athletics carnival participation certificate next to my Bachelor's degree on the wall for example.

Was quoted as a reference to his treatment, not his achievements.

What I find very difficult to come to terms with is the fact that he missed so many games with us in 2013, and when he did appear his shoulders, and fingers were strapped and he had difficulty holding marks. Since he changed his colours all these setbacks have turned 100% to the point where he has missed one game (I think) no strapping, and he is holding his marks. How come?

What I find very difficult to come to terms with is the fact that he missed so many games with us in 2013, and when he did appear his shoulders, and fingers were strapped and he had difficulty holding marks. Since he changed his colours all these setbacks have turned 100% to the point where he has missed one game (I think) no strapping, and he is holding his marks. How come?

Hell man.........they gotta get him to last the whole nine years anyway they can. :eek::(:cry:

Should posters coming here to flame us be red carded?

I'm all for it!

Oh yes. But their post was so feeble, so limp-wristed, I couldn't muster the energy to smite them.

You made that exact same comment about 10 pages back and i replied with this:

I actually have to laugh every time the commentators talk about his increased marking. He is taking 5.4 marks per game, compared to 4.1, 5.8, 5.9, 5.6 and 5.2 in the 5 years previous. he is taking 1.7 contested marks per game, compared to 1.2, 2.0, 1.8 and 1.8 in the four years previous.

Basically, it is just the media being too stupid to remember more than the last five minutes.

Are you just going to keep repeating this crap even though it is incorrect?

As for the injury side of things, a lot of them were soft tissue injuries, which probably wouldn't have had any effect on his marking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back