Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh the irony.

Maybe, just maybe Basketball Australian know its just wasted money and know the kid has no intentions of playing for this country.
Sounds more like a blanket policy than a conspiracy.

Oh the irony.

Maybe, just maybe Basketball Australian know its just wasted money and know the kid has no intentions of playing for this country.

that England thing is a joke lol being "ironic" on purpose.. Ment not offence just some friendly banter

I wouldn't worry to much about Thon Maker playing for the Boomers of not.

Keep your eye on this kid named Issac Humphries. He will go top 10 in the NBA in a few years. 2017/18 NBA draft

In 2020 the Boomers starting 5 will be like this.

C: Humphries
PF: Bairstow
SF: Simmons
SG: Mills
PG: Exum

I wouldn't worry to much about Thon Maker playing for the Boomers of not.

Keep your eye on this kid named Issac Humphries. He will go top 10 in the NBA in a few years. 2017/18 NBA draft

In 2020 the Boomers starting 5 will be like this.

C: Humphries
PF: Bairstow
SF: Simmons
SG: Mills
PG: Exum
Bench you would expect to be pretty decent as well

Obviously huge news this morning, Ben Simmons has won the Wootten award overnight, for the best high school basketballer in the US.

Fantastic achievement, which might never be replicated by another Aussie.

Well, Thon will rep Australia along with Ben Simmons at this years Nike Hoop Summit so that's a pretty big positive. Plus I've been reading some on Thon recently and he seems still keen to represent the boomers in the future. All of this years u19 camps are being held at the AIS. Thon is trying to reclassify which means it's quite difficult to make it over since he has to work on his grades.
For pretty up to date info on Thon and all other young Aussie prospects, I suggest you follow Olgun Uluc on Twitter or his blog. He's a wealth of information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't blame Thon for not rep'ing Aus yet. If we are keen we should organize a game or two against Canada/USA and take the game to him. Can't expect him to fly to us and take time out, especially if comments above about Basketball Australia not paying are true.

Obviously huge news this morning, Ben Simmons has won the Wootten award overnight, for the best high school basketballer in the US.

Fantastic achievement, which might never be replicated by another Aussie.
It is a fantastic achievement by Ben when you consider the former winners of this award he is in some pretty esteemed company.

He will be an absolute game changer for Aussie basketball and when Dante finds his feet, the two of them with Humphries, Maker and the other young Boomers will be an absolute force. Particularly when you consider that Mills and Baynes and some of the other NBA players will also still be around. The future certainly looks good and I for one cannot wait.

Simmons will eventually supplant Bogut as the No.1 Aussie sports earner and superstar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been told Maker wants to play for America.

Awesome news for Simmons and also don't forget about Deng Adel as well who is also a good prospect.

Been told Maker wants to play for America.

Awesome news for Simmons and also don't forget about Deng Adel as well who is also a good prospect.
Big risk I would have thought that he would even make their Senior squad let alone get to an Olympics or World Champs. Good luck to him if that is what he wants but I would have thought he would have been a lock for the Aussie team at both the 2016 and 2020 Olympics which surely should be a tempting decision and it's not like we won't have a shot at a medal, but I suppose he could almost guarantee a gold medal if he made the USA team, but that might not happen by 2020 and then he would have to have a bit of luck as well that there are not others who would beat him to a spot in future years.

I would take the opportunity to go to possibly multiple Olympics playing for Australia but Kyrie held out and eventually made the USA team so Thon might do the same.

Big risk I would have thought that he would even make their Senior squad let alone get to an Olympics or World Champs. Good luck to him if that is what he wants but I would have thought he would have been a lock for the Aussie team at both the 2016 and 2020 Olympics which surely should be a tempting decision and it's not like we won't have a shot at a medal, but I suppose he could almost guarantee a gold medal if he made the USA team, but that might not happen by 2020 and then he would have to have a bit of luck as well that there are not others who would beat him to a spot in future years.

I would take the opportunity to go to possibly multiple Olympics playing for Australia but Kyrie held out and eventually made the USA team so Thon might do the same.

I agree completely but money and fame talks.

If you're playing for USA the whole world knows but who knows what happens from here, maybe he might not be as highly touted by the time he gets drafted and might change his mind.

Here's hoping he's part of the new movement for the aussie basketball team.

I agree completely but money and fame talks.

If you're playing for USA the whole world knows but who knows what happens from here, maybe he might not be as highly touted by the time he gets drafted and might change his mind.

Here's hoping he's part of the new movement for the aussie basketball team.

The likes of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Pau Gasol have done alright for themselves, I don't think nationality has anything to do with it, you just have to be a star NBA player.

As for Maker, I've read numerous reports saying he's representing Australia at the Nike Hoop Summit, big step in the right direction.

Having wearing an Aus jersey at the Nike hoops summit is a pretty good sign, especially as he'll be there with Ben.

is it not about Maker's patron/counsel/adviser who got him to Australia in the first place, then on to Canada and America? His parents are still back in Sudan aint they? Who knows his motive, and his family's motive, and his counsel's motive. He may wish to return to Sudan when he can be assured of being comfortable. Seems up til now, he has been the subject of expedience by handlers and motivations other than his own.

I could be wrong but I think his mum is living in Sydney at the moment.

Maker's guardian is trying really hard for him to reclassify so he can get drafted earlier, been told he wants to play for America but not sure what the criteria is for him to be able to play for them.

I could be wrong but I think his mum is living in Sydney at the moment.

Maker's guardian is trying really hard for him to reclassify so he can get drafted earlier, been told he wants to play for America but not sure what the criteria is for him to be able to play for them.
but he aint Simmons or Exum. and those guys are atleast australian thru and thru. i am happy to have russel crowes all the same, but never thought there would be nba players growing on trees here. makes you excited for the olympics after brazil.

Judging from a few tweets I've seen, he also has a few Makers remaining in Perth who miss him. So you'd think the link to Australia remains quite strong. I think he'll enjoy playing on the world team. Should be fun for them beating the U.S to a pulp. Pretty sure Ben will be recruiting him pretty hard too. He's got quite a knack for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back