The future of the ABC - Guthrie sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Or Abbott handing $billions to the RBA & the rich getting a squillion to go & have kids, all in a budget emergency! I tell you, their just aint no accounting for dumb PMs is their??
Out of curiosity, how much did Abbott give the RBA and for what purpose? :oops:

We can all derail discussions with irrelevant s**t that happened in the past, but it doesn't justify the decisions being made in the present.

No our recent history is the key to all of this. Wasteful expenditure and bad policy is a bigger issue than politicians bloated salaries. Resultant heavy debt drives public service funding cuts across the board, and 5% off the ABC budget is nothing in that context (or more particulalry in the context of standard operating conditions of private industry). Hence the relevence of those brain dead stupid actions of the previous government throwing money away.

No our recent history is the key to all of this. Wasteful expenditure and bad policy is a bigger issue than politicians bloated salaries. Resultant heavy debt drives public service funding cuts across the board, and 5% off the ABC budget is nothing in that context (or more particulalry in the context of standard operating conditions of private industry). Hence the relevence of those brain dead stupid actions of the previous government throwing money away.
Well, if we have a big debt and money is an issue, how come we are buying 58 fighter planes ( questionable ones at that) we don't really need then?

What do you mean when you speak of "the left"? What do you understand that to be?

The "left" is a virus the Russians planted in Australia that attacks the mind leaving carriers angry at those who feed, clothe and otherwise look after them.

Last edited:
The "left" is a virus the Russians planted in Australia that attacks the mind leaving carriers angry at those who feed, clothe and otherwise look after them.

then who planted the Russian "left" in Russia? The Chinese?

One would imagine a similar cabal to those who engineered that particularly virulent "entitled-drongo" attitude which so voraciously infected all right of centre so called thinking and ideology.

Trioli is still the main female host of the ABC Breakfast program. Her husband heads up the so called 'fact checking unit' at same said behemoth. Breast feeding and incestuous.

Just a small example. Its not just the evening programs that lean left. Their newspaper segment each morning is shocking.

Trioli is still the main female host of the ABC Breakfast program. Her husband heads up the so called 'fact checking unit' at same said behemoth. Breast feeding and incestuous.

Just a small example. Its not just the evening programs that lean left. Their newspaper segment each morning is shocking.

Just a mistimed cross Trioli never intended that to go to air, plus Barnaby was talking like a loon at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course it's unpleasant to be in such a situation. But every media outlet has had to cut jobs recently. Why do you think the ABC should be immune from cuts?

In the real world large organisations have to make efficiency cuts all the time and from this report it sounds like the ABC is overdue.

But having previously worked as a journalist, foreign correspondent, editor and managing editor at lean, efficient and editorially robust media companies including Australian Associated Press, Fairfax and News Corp for over 20 years, I was shocked by the culture, waste, duplication and lax workplace practices exercised in some pockets of Radio National. I was even more shocked by the failure of the executive to want to do anything about it.

One problem, as one insider pointed out, was the so-called lifers, a pocket of predominantly middle-aged, Anglo-Saxon staff who had never worked anywhere other than the ABC, who were impervious to change, unaccountable, untouchable and who harboured a deep sense of entitlement.​

Where did that quote come from?

update: all good, found it. It's just me but I take anything written by an ex Murdoch employee with a pinch of salt. I'm sure there is some truth in what she has written.

Where did that quote come from?

update: all good, found it. It's just me but I take anything written by an ex Murdoch employee with a pinch of salt. I'm sure there is some truth in what she has written.

I always try to provide a link in my posts.

She's worked for Australian Associated Press, Fairfax, News Corp and the ABC. And this article came from Fairfax. She seems qualified to compare the private and public media sector.

Time to replace the whole board of the ABC. In response to a 5% budget reduction they shed 10% of staff (seriously its only 5% cut?) and then bank hard left - 1) shutting down regional services and ramping up its inner city centralisation agenda into Melbourne and Sydney, and 2) expanding their digital services (therefore further playing to their trendy, twitter/left mob). Useless bastards are so out of touch.

it is hard to fathom why the ABC let itself get into such a position.

lazy and wasteful greed. At least now they are forced to address the issue.

I always try to provide a link in my posts.

She's worked for Australian Associated Press, Fairfax, News Corp and the ABC. And this article came from Fairfax. She seems qualified to compare the private and public media sector.

Look I'm open in my dislike towards anything related to Murdoch or News. I do think there is truth in her article. As a previous poster stated, this is not about cuts to the ABC (or shouldn't be)...it is about the lies told by Abbott pre-election and the bullshit being spun now and a feckin "efficiency dividend". I dislike being spoken to like I'm an idiot.

Look I'm open in my dislike towards anything related to Murdoch or News. I do think there is truth in her article. As a previous poster stated, this is not about cuts to the ABC (or shouldn't be)...it is about the lies told by Abbott pre-election and the bullshit being spun now and a feckin "efficiency dividend". I dislike being spoken to like I'm an idiot.

FWIW I think Abbott did the wrong thing by saying there would be no cuts to the ABC. He referred to Hockey's earlier comments but failed to mention that the ABC might be subject to efficiency cuts. Ultimately we elect politicians to govern on our behalf. Sometimes circumstances change so that they can't deliver what they promised. We have to judge them in the next election including how they delivered on their past promises.

I do think the ABC needs to make efficiency cuts. Any large organisation does from time to time. Especially in the public service where the deadwood has been allowed to fester for some time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back