The future of the ABC - Guthrie sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean apart from online, iView, and radio stations across the country? Yeah they have a pretty thin offering.

Look: just because you don't stoop to listen to or watch the ABC, doesn't mean the majority of Australians don't like the ABC. Who knows if Labor will restore funding, but you can be sure as hell this little Murdoch-serving budget cut has lost them votes across the political spectrum.
Just because people like it isn't a reason to use other people's money to fund it. That is not the role of a Government. Perhaps we wouldn't need to be taxed as highly or as often if the government removed itself from the entertainment business.

I find a get a lot of info from watching and listening to the ABC. I am not sure where your great knowledge of the ABC' s content comes from. Sounds to me like you are a closet ABC fan Guso.
I use google. I pay for it and it doesn't cost tax payers a billion plus a year. Unlike the abc.

Just because people like it isn't a reason to use other people's money to fund it. That is not the role of a Government. Perhaps we wouldn't need to be taxed as highly or as often if the government removed itself from the entertainment business.
I use google. I pay for it and it doesn't cost tax payers a billion plus a year. Unlike the abc.
You pay for Google?

Do you mean you pay for it in all the taxes they avoid? Because they do cost us millions a year on that count. Wish the govt would do something about it.

And people 'liking' things is exactly the reason for the govt to spend money on it. Govt spending is meant to be to society's benefit and in a democracy we vote for what we like. i.e. We don't like your whacky society-doesn't-exist-and-this-just-in-history-doesn't-exist-either small Govt ideas.

You should know this if you use Google, though. It predominantly links to mainstream media services when it comes to news.

haha but that isn't quite what I asked you.
I said how come you know so much about the value of the ABC? If you hold it in such disdain, you can't possibly be watching it, or listening to it, or using iview etc.
So methinks you must be secretly sneaking away to follow it?

haha but that isn't quite what I asked you.
I said how come you know so much about the value of the ABC? If you hold it in such disdain, you can't possibly be watching it, or listening to it, or using iview etc.
So methinks you must be secretly sneaking away to follow it?

You don't need to watch it to know it's costing tax payers over a billion a year to fund it. Do you?

What we are getting for our billion + dollars I really don't care. The only ABC show I watched in the last few years was Spics and Specs and that's not something tax payers should be paying for.

Governments aren't there to fund and run pop quiz shows.

You pay for Google?

Do you mean you pay for it in all the taxes they avoid? Because they do cost us millions a year on that count. Wish the govt would do something about it.

And people 'liking' things is exactly the reason for the govt to spend money on it. Govt spending is meant to be to society's benefit and in a democracy we vote for what we like. i.e. We don't like your whacky society-doesn't-exist-and-this-just-in-history-doesn't-exist-either small Govt ideas.

You should know this if you use Google, though. It predominantly links to mainstream media services when it comes to news.

What the absolute *?

Where and when did this pea brained concept creep into the mindset of the population?

The Government needs to spend money on things "we like".

Government spending should be on essential things, things which the private sector does not provide. That is what Governments are there for, to govern.

Not run your social life or keep you entertained.

You don't need to watch it to know it's costing tax payers over a billion a year to fund it. Do you?

What we are getting for our billion + dollars I really don't care. The only ABC show I watched in the last few years was Spics and Specs and that's not something tax payers should be paying for.

I suspect if you want to evaluate how that money is spent, its a good idea to have a clue how it is spent, rather than a flippant comment on 1 show that doesn't appeal to you.
Fortunately fun police, 84% of the public seem to disagree with you.

It's the arts man!! Adam Hills appeals to the left. He's that good, he even managed to sponge off the BBC.
Which part of Spicks and Specks is 'Left" please? Can you give specific examples of how it is left?
Is it the singing? the laughing? the questions? the guests?
You sure are a funny guy.

I suspect if you want to evaluate how that money is spent, its a good idea to have a clue how it is spent, rather than a flippant comment on 1 show that doesn't appeal to you.
Fortunately fun police, 84% of the public seem to disagree with you.

Given how many people keep voting for Liberal, Labor and the Greens despite the utter s**t they serve up year after year it's safe to say 84% of the population are also probably morons. So your statistic doesn't really mean much at all.

Is it beyond your scope of imagination to picture Governments being more effective and lest wasteful if they only had to concentrate on the real role of Governments, not the version you think we need.

Given how many people keep voting for Liberal, Labor and the Greens despite the utter s**t they serve up year after year it's safe to say 84% of the population are also probably morons. So your statistic doesn't really mean much at all.

Is it beyond your scope of imagination to picture Governments being more effective and lest wasteful if they only had to concentrate on the real role of Governments, not the version you think we need.
Gus, if you seriously wish to assess the worth of an organization that costs a 'billion a year', you need to be more well informed. One person having watched one show- hardly an effective study.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adam Hills
Uhuh-and you can tell this when he says 'Tonight's guests are...' Or When the asks 'What is the name of the doco about Rowland S Howard? Or when someone sings from a Serbian bicycle tyre repair manuals to the tune of Danny Boy?
You must be much smarter than I give you credit for.

Uhuh-and you can tell this when he says 'Tonight's guests are...' Or When the asks 'What is the name of the doco about Rowland S Howard? Or when someone sings from a Serbian bicycle tyre repair manuals to the tune of Danny Boy?
Did you not hear the subliminal recitation of Das Kapital hidden in every episode?

Gus, if you seriously wish to assess the worth of an organization that costs a 'billion a year', you need to be more well informed. One person having watched one show- hardly an effective study.

I am informed. A Governments role isn't to spend money on producing entertainment or informative programs.

The private sector can do that.

Governments are supposed to just that, govern.

Not entertain or baby sit people.

Managed to slip in his standard bung leg joke too.

I am informed. A Governments role isn't to spend money on producing entertainment or informative programs.

The private sector can do that.

Governments are supposed to just that, govern.

Not entertain or baby sit people.
U cannot be cereal- leave it to the private sector to provide our information. Good one.
Anyway define govern for me please.
Isn't governing about creating a well rounded community-to cater for our needs in many areas? Especially in a country with such a small population where somethings need to be supported.
If you reduce everything to money, our society is the poorer for that.

Unfunny and inappropriate. And our tax dollars paid for him, and probably will again.
Hope so. Lighten up Danny. Life is too short to be so mean.
Crikey, you've got your guy in charge-sit back and enjoy. It may not last long.;)

Last edited:

From your point of view, the ABC holds absolutely no value at all? Because I've worked out the ABC costs individual taxpayers $102.

No that would just be chipping away at it for no real gain. Leave it be.

No real gain?

If they excised a lot of the commercial duplication and fat, they could save well over $100 Million/year (probably several times that). How are you saying that's 'no gain'?

Hope so. Lighten up Danny. Life is too short to be so mean.
Crikey, you've got your guy in charge-sit back and enjoy. It may not last long.;)

You asked how Spicks and Specks was left, I showed you. I'm not going to go through every episode, but the tone of Hills at the Logies was the tone of Hills through that show.

End of story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back