The future of the ABC - Guthrie sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Monday night, my fav night on ABC. 4 Corners, followed by Q&A (bit let down last night) then Lateline and Business.
Good to have Lateline back.
Great interview with Arthur, shame he will have some mud stick to him as he is one of few politicians, that speak well and don't avoid the question with double speak.
See what happens when you let the chicks run things? :D:p

See what happens when you let the chicks run things? :D:p
Too true, Bishop seemed like a fish out of water (no men on panel), Greer is getting a bit ho hum, the young lady next to Greer had a lengthy opinion on everything. the 'bad feminist' and the CEO of Best and Less were worth listening too.

I love watching an election coverage. With these affiliate channels, when I was consigned to Vic and Federal elections, I can now watch election coverage from other states.

Thank you ABC! :hearts:
The ABC and the small on-line media outlets like The independent Media, newmathilda, The Saturday Paper, Independent Australia are great alternatives to the Murdoch and Fairfax press.

Watching Lateline now. Where the ABC let us down is by letting "people" like Kate Carnell to trot out their verbal rubbish. I mean, fair dinkum? Does it surprise any of you that I have the tv on mute?
If you didn't have her on mute you would've heard her agreeing with most of what ACOSS said, and agreeing that it's too easy for high-income earners to avoid (sorry, 'minimise') paying tax.

The big-end of town has noted the fierce backlash to the relatively minor moves the Coalition have tried in Govt. Super tax concessions will go. Neg gearing is being discussed again. In order to get corporate tax cuts, tax concessions to shareholders may go (the Coalition govt already had the dividend 'double taxation' thing going on with their 1.5% corporate tax cut replaced by a 1.5% levy for 3000 businesses)... The latest tax reform discussion may actually go somewhere good. Both sides want to claim the better economic managers mantle and therefore want a way to stronger revenues, and the Liberals may even be a bit more radical because they are on struggle street polls-wise. They want to look strong to alter the story from their incompetence in their first half-term of govt.

Another great night for the ABC, Peter Greste was great..
Best statement ever! This article could be posted in so many threads.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...ill-come-back-to-bite-us-20150414-1mkdw2.html

He was at his most powerful in response to an audience question on the Koran and its alleged influence on terrorist acts.
His opening line dispatched the obvious but necessary: "I think if you dig around the Bible you'll find plenty of excuses as well."
Then he went on.

"Look, there are 1.5 billion Muslims in the world today, 23 per cent of the world's population is Islamic. We're not at war with 23 per cent of the world's population," he said.
"We can dig around and find all sorts of excuses. To my mind this is one of the biggest problems. This is not a clash of civilisations."
Greste argued eloquently against the recently legislated collection of metadata - "we're creating a lot of dark spaces within government" - and warned against falling into line a behind policy built around what host Tony Jones called "the T word".
Did Greste think Australia was exempt from politicians invoking it to justify their agenda?
"No, I don't," Greste replied.
"I think terrorism is clearly a big issue ... but I think there is a real danger that terrorism is used as a kind of scare tactic, as this way of government taking it as an opportunity to impose all sorts of draconian restrictions and limitations which it would never get away with under other circumstances."

Another great night for the ABC, Peter Greste was great..
Best statement ever! This article could be posted in so many threads.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...ill-come-back-to-bite-us-20150414-1mkdw2.html

He was at his most powerful in response to an audience question on the Koran and its alleged influence on terrorist acts.
His opening line dispatched the obvious but necessary: "I think if you dig around the Bible you'll find plenty of excuses as well."
Then he went on.

"Look, there are 1.5 billion Muslims in the world today, 23 per cent of the world's population is Islamic. We're not at war with 23 per cent of the world's population," he said.
"We can dig around and find all sorts of excuses. To my mind this is one of the biggest problems. This is not a clash of civilisations."
Greste argued eloquently against the recently legislated collection of metadata - "we're creating a lot of dark spaces within government" - and warned against falling into line a behind policy built around what host Tony Jones called "the T word".
Did Greste think Australia was exempt from politicians invoking it to justify their agenda?
"No, I don't," Greste replied.
"I think terrorism is clearly a big issue ... but I think there is a real danger that terrorism is used as a kind of scare tactic, as this way of government taking it as an opportunity to impose all sorts of draconian restrictions and limitations which it would never get away with under other circumstances."

what draconian restrictions and limitations?

Is that all you got from my post? Why am I not surprised.
The new metadata laws and restrictions affect not just on the journalists, lawyers and equally important private citizens. Old laws were working fine.
Don't seem to have worked anywhere else in the world, what makes both parties think it will work here.
If you want to know more, the web is your friend but do it before the new laws come into affect.

Truth and honesty.

The new legislation fails the truth and honesty test.

It provides no legal protection for whistleblowers, therefore allowing Governments and others to easily cover up problems (see Asylum Seekers in Nauru) and makes it harder for Governments to held accountable.

The new legislation violates every Privacy law imaginable. It's trying to scare people in being critical - what isn't said is that it makes people even more critical and suspicious.

Arguably the worst law ever drawn up in the history of this country.

Truth and honesty.

It provides no legal protection for whistleblowers, therefore allowing Governments and others to easily cover up problems (see Asylum Seekers in Nauru) and makes it harder for Governments to held accountable.

The new legislation violates every Privacy law imaginable. It's trying to scare people in being critical - what isn't said is that it makes people even more critical and suspicious.

Adolf would think its a great law.;)

Truth and honesty.

Can you provide a link to the legislation or name them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that all you got from my post? Why am I not surprised.
The new metadata laws and restrictions affect not just on the journalists, lawyers and equally important private citizens. Old laws were working fine.
Don't seem to have worked anywhere else in the world, what makes both parties think it will work here.
If you want to know more, the web is your friend but do it before the new laws come into affect.

but groups are already keeping your meta data.....that is how google works

do you not think there should be rules around who collects it, why they collect it and what they can use it for?

but groups are already keeping your meta data.....that is how google works

do you not think there should be rules around who collects it, why they collect it and what they can use it for?
My post was the about the service provided by the ABC and linked Peter Greste comments (plural) on Q&A as example of the quality of programs and guests implying that there will always be an ABC.
You focused on his comments regarding data collection but not the quality of the ABC.
There is a separate thread re meta data.

My post was the about the service provided by the ABC and linked Peter Greste comments (plural) on Q&A as example of the quality of programs and guests implying that there will always be an ABC.
You focused on his comments regarding data collection but not the quality of the ABC.
There is a separate thread re meta data.

So you were entertained by what Peter said but don't critically assess his comments?

Believe that pazza replied. But you are still missing the point.

Help me out then

I asked Pazza to name the legislation or post a link to the legislation as I don't think he knows what legislation he doesn't like. Hopefully he bothers to read the legislation whilst he does his research.

and you claimed you liked the program and noted Peter as great. Yet his comments simply don't stack up to a basic test. what was it you really liked? was it the bright lights, the sound of Peter's voice or both?

Help me out then

I asked Pazza to name the legislation or post a link to the legislation as I don't think he knows what legislation he doesn't like. Hopefully he bothers to read the legislation whilst he does his research.

and you claimed you liked the program and noted Peter as great. Yet his comments simply don't stack up to a basic test. what was it you really liked? was it the bright lights, the sound of Peter's voice or both?
Give it up will you. I liked the fact that ABC is the only place that you can see program's of quality.
Peter Greste's comments and views were interesting. I also liked his response to the question regarding the Quran and other topics as shown in the link.
I enjoy guests that provoke further thinking where you haven't completely formed a view.
You asked a particular question totally ignoring the point I was trying to make on the ABC, which is the title of this thread.

If you didn't have her on mute you would've heard her agreeing with most of what ACOSS said, and agreeing that it's too easy for high-income earners to avoid (sorry, 'minimise') paying tax.

Nothing wrong with tax avoidance at all. Why give money to pollies to waste if you don't have to?

As for ACOSS, they have very little to offer. See the below. "Fair share". Absurd argument given high income earners pay a massively disproportionate amount of income tax. Unfortunately the ABC gives prominence to such groups. Ditto the Greens, Greenpeace and other life owes me a living sorts.

"It is too easy for people with high incomes to avoid paying their fair share of tax through devices such as negative gearing and private trusts, for some international companies to artificially shift their profits elsewhere, and for retired people with substantial assets to churn their income through their super accounts to reduce tax.

Does it? Which particular programs? What do you mean by 'prominence'?

I wonder if Meds will get a copy of last night's Media Watch. The ABC got criticised for all of the private business analysts it uses in its business reports. Yes - Macquarie, CommSec and so on.

Last night's Q and A had Derryn Hinch on and as is the case with him, it was must watch viewing and listening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back