Analysis The game in 2016 - how will we respond to the rule changes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
30 less rotations - down to 90
no sub

How will this impact game style/strategy and list needs and where are we placed list wise to cope with and exploit these changes?

Which of our players will shine due to the changes and which ones will struggle?

I hadn't thought much about it until I was listening to Cal Twomey's road to the draft pod cast today and he mentioned that there is a theory that with the rule changes there will be more long down the line kicking to a contest.

Obviously this is a fairly logical conclusion as with players being more tired they may struggle to generate overlap run and put in the repeat efforts needed to create options for a short kicking pin point disposal game.

On the other hand since the introduction of the sub and the 120 interchange cap the game tends to open up more in the last quarter as teams tire off and the transition defence/full ground pressure drops off.

Our issues combatting North's long down the line kicking and marking suggest that we are not equipped for this style of game.

Players who may excel:

Ben G - could be one of our most important players moving forward if the long down the line kick becomes more predominant. Great mark around the ground. Suspect in the forward 50 atm.

Brandon Ellis - the more tired others get the more the game will open up - Brando could become a star

Connor Menadue and Nathan Drummond - elite speed but elite aerobic capacity - Menadue is shaping up as our Isaac Smith.

Kamdyn McIntosh - very excited about this kid - really was a first year player this year. Will get fitter and stronger - less interchange should suit his hard running

Bachar Houli - good runner in space - hopefully the reduced interchange opens up space for him to run into

Ben Lennon - poor tank at this stage but no sub rule - will play more and can take contested marks - could also struggle if he can't get his running up to a required level

think sides will play an extra ruck, in our case that may mean griff starts on the bench & rotates through ruck as well as fwd & allows us to rotate a mid fwd like Dusty/Lids etc
hence i think getting a Ruck in the off season is critical

Our gameplan is designed to last 4 qtrs (i dont think we lost many 4th qtrs at all this year), so i think we'll handle it better than some other teams such as freo with their manic pressure (very hard to keep up with less rotations)
North's long kicking and marking was to the advantage of their talls - more has to do with our players than the game plan as well as we were chasing all day in the sun which saps their energy

think sides will play an extra ruck, in our case that may mean griff starts on the bench & rotates through ruck as well as fwd & allows us to rotate a mid fwd like Dusty/Lids etc
hence i think getting a Ruck in the off season is critical

Personally I don't think we will change our strategy too much here. I think sides will only play an extra ruck if they have two very good rucks who can have an impact in other areas. I think we are well placed for forward/rucks with Griff and Tyrone. I think its a number one ruck that we will need when Ivy hangs up the boots. After Dimma's comments it looks as though he is after a tall/high leaping ruck man to combat Goldy/Naitanui/Sandilands. The chances of that happening are low. Jealous of the saints taking Holmes. Looks like he has potential.

Our gameplan is designed to last 4 qtrs (i dont think we lost many 4th qtrs at all this year), so i think we'll handle it better than some other teams such as freo with their manic pressure (very hard to keep up with less rotations)
North's long kicking and marking was to the advantage of their talls - more has to do with our players than the game plan as well as we were chasing all day in the sun which saps their energy

Our 4th quarter records suggest we are quite fit so this fills me with hope for next year. I also think the flexibility of key mids such as Dusty, Trent, Lids and Edwards to be able to play multiple positions also helps with reduced interchange.

Our 4th quarter records suggest we are quite fit so this fills me with hope for next year. I also think the flexibility of key mids such as Dusty, Trent, Lids and Edwards to be able to play multiple positions also helps with reduced interchange.
It's just a matter of bringing in a pacey X-factor such as bennell and some more depth

Reduced interchanges are going to make depth of lists key as more players will need rests throughout the year

It's just a matter of bringing in a pacey X-factor such as bennell and some more depth

Reduced interchanges are going to make depth of lists key as more players will need rests throughout the year

Bennell as a player would be gold. Could rotate with Dusty through the midfield forward line. Those two working together would be sublime.

Depth is improving. Of the finals side Lennon, C Ellis who both have claims on best 22 missed out.

Can see Menadue and Drummond coming in for mid season games as the heat of the early seasons wears off.

Think the drop in interchange and the demise of the sub could spell the end of Lloyd. Wouldn't be surprised if the dearth of small forwards on our list was a planned strategy as with a reduction to 90 interchange I'm not sure sides can afford to play small forwards who can't rotate effectively through the midfield. This is where a guy like Shane Edwards is super valuable. Hopefully Yarran can come in and compliment the team. Can play midfield, wing, half back very effectively. Just needs to get his body/mind right and have a big pre season.

I hope our lack of big bodied midfielders works to our advantage next year, as Cotch and Miles can run out games more effectively than some of the bigger inside mids of the comp. We also have a wealth of decent ruck forwards, which we can exploit to work over opposition rucks. I think we'll do well from the rule changes.

30 less rotations - down to 90
no sub

How will this impact game style/strategy and list needs and where are we placed list wise to cope with and exploit these changes?

Which of our players will shine due to the changes and which ones will struggle?

I hadn't thought much about it until I was listening to Cal Twomey's road to the draft pod cast today and he mentioned that there is a theory that with the rule changes there will be more long down the line kicking to a contest.

Obviously this is a fairly logical conclusion as with players being more tired they may struggle to generate overlap run and put in the repeat efforts needed to create options for a short kicking pin point disposal game.

On the other hand since the introduction of the sub and the 120 interchange cap the game tends to open up more in the last quarter as teams tire off and the transition defence/full ground pressure drops off.

Our issues combatting North's long down the line kicking and marking suggest that we are not equipped for this style of game.

Players who may excel:

Ben G - could be one of our most important players moving forward if the long down the line kick becomes more predominant. Great mark around the ground. Suspect in the forward 50 atm.

Brandon Ellis - the more tired others get the more the game will open up - Brando could become a star

Connor Menadue and Nathan Drummond - elite speed but elite aerobic capacity - Menadue is shaping up as our Isaac Smith.

Kamdyn McIntosh - very excited about this kid - really was a first year player this year. Will get fitter and stronger - less interchange should suit his hard running

Bachar Houli - good runner in space - hopefully the reduced interchange opens up space for him to run into

Ben Lennon - poor tank at this stage but no sub rule - will play more and can take contested marks - could also struggle if he can't get his running up to a required level

Bit of contradiction in the way you're thinking about this. Not your fault, more so with Cal Twomey's theory.

With the new rules the game will open up a lot sooner than the 4th qtr, which actually means there will be less long kicks to contests down the line. You said players will be more tired so there will be less repeat efforts for the short kick pin point disposal game, which is true, but the other side of the coin is the opposition will be just as tired so won't be chasing and cutting down the space as much. It's all relative.

Bit of contradiction in the way you're thinking about this. Not your fault, more so with Cal Twomey's theory.

With the new rules the game will open up a lot sooner than the 4th qtr, which actually means there will be less long kicks to contests down the line. You said players will be more tired so there will be less repeat efforts for the short kick pin point disposal game, which is true, but the other side of the coin is the opposition will be just as tired so won't be chasing and cutting down the space as much. It's all relative.

Yeah it will be interesting. I hadn't put too much thought into it until I heard Cal Twomey's comment. My initial belief was that it would be a good thing for us as it will open up the game which suits our style.

Yeah it will be interesting. I hadn't put too much thought into it until I heard Cal Twomey's comment. My initial belief was that it would be a good thing for us as it will open up the game which suits our style.

I think it will suit us well. Whilst we're not that quick by foot we're good in space and play the loose marking game well, which we'll see more of. Moving the ball quickly by hand and foot when there's options open will be key, but we're already pretty good at that. New rules will open up more space through the middle which will suit our tall fwd line as the ball will be delivered inside 50 quicker then at present with less numbers running back to clog us up. That's the main thing that stuffed us in the final against norf.

Furthermore, a player like Yarran will excel under these conditions so there's an added bonus in getting him now. And as you mentioned players like Ellis, K-Mac and Houli should also excel with these new rules too. I can see Brando running riot with this elite endurance and getting many 30-35 disposal games. Just work on your kicking son!

We have newy leaving, Morris and Gordon not playing Snr footy in 2016 and we get 20 odd games into Bennell 15 odd games into yarran and 8 games into someone else (Lennon, Ellis etc) then that'll improve us. Maybe rest mcintosh and b Ellis a bit more during the year as we have good quality depth now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitness level was one of the best in the league which the stats reflect this (see below). We will need to improve our game plan over Summer to counteract the opposition's negating tactics, which caused us to be smashed in the contested ball in big games (Crows, EF)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-22/quarter-by-quarter-the-best-moments-for-your-club

The Tigers' poor starts, however, nearly cost them that chance. Every loss they have had this year, they have ended the first quarter behind. It hasn't been by big margins, kicking 11.16 to their opponents' 16.14, but its enough to put them on the back foot. Conversely, the Tigers are ending matches impressively, winning 11 of 15 fourth quarters. The exception was in round 16 when St Kilda came from 52 points behind at three-quarter time to nearly cause a boil over, eventually losing by 16 points.

First quarters
Won: 5
Score 39.45 (279)
Differential: -5
AFL ranking: 10th

Second quarters
Won: 11
Score 50.44 (344)
Differential: +79
AFL ranking: 4th

Third quarters
Won: 6
Score 42.39 (291)
Differential: -26

Fourth quarters
Score 50.48 (348)
Differential: +94
AFL ranking: 3rd

Scoreless quarters, 2015: one, third quarter v Port Adelaide, round eight

Goalless quarters, 2015: four: last quarter v Melbourne, round four; first quarter v Geelong, round five; third quarter v Port Adelaide, round eight; last quarter v West Coast, round 12

Best quarter, 2015: 8.4 (52), last quarter v Brisbane Lions, round three

Best quarter since 2010: 11.5 (71), second quarter v Greater Western Sydney, round 22, 2013

Quirky stat
Richmond has had 14 fewer inside 50s than its opposition in the first 20 minutes of quarters – ranked No.8. It has won the count by 74 in the time-on period of quarters – ranked No.1.

A more man on man defense may come back into vogue where you don't need to be continuously running to cover position regardless of whether the ball is coming to you but rather just need to beat your direct opponent defensively and then offensively. Teams may begin to use a zone to guard kick ins and their defensive F50 but use man on man through the middle of the ground. Hard to pick really. Anything that will open up the game and stop all this congestion and kicking along the boundary to contests is a positive for me regardless.

I do think the better endurance runners such as B.Ellis, McIntosh, Grigg, Houli, Jack (yes -Jack!), Edwards and the up and comers including Menadue, and C.Ellis. I worry about players like Chaplin, Vlaustin, Dusty, Cotch & Miles. Dusty and Cotch will be able to run in bursts and then play forward but Vlaustin and Miles will need to continue to work on their engine and versatility. I would actually like to see Flossy play more time in the middle if we get Yarran and play him off the half back but I feel Flossy would be better than Yarran defensively.

I would live to see Lennon stay and continue to play off the HF line complimenting Lids. I feel we missed him in the EF. If he does stay he is another player that will need to build up his endurance and he forces him out of the contest too much later in games.

Fitness level was one of the best in the league which the stats reflect this (see below). We will need to improve our game plan over Summer to counteract the opposition's negating tactics, which caused us to be smashed in the contested ball in big games (Crows, EF)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-22/quarter-by-quarter-the-best-moments-for-your-club

The Tigers' poor starts, however, nearly cost them that chance. Every loss they have had this year, they have ended the first quarter behind. It hasn't been by big margins, kicking 11.16 to their opponents' 16.14, but its enough to put them on the back foot. Conversely, the Tigers are ending matches impressively, winning 11 of 15 fourth quarters. The exception was in round 16 when St Kilda came from 52 points behind at three-quarter time to nearly cause a boil over, eventually losing by 16 points.

First quarters
Won: 5
Score 39.45 (279)
Differential: -5

Second quarters
Score 50.44 (344)
Differential: +79
AFL ranking: 4th

Third quarters
Won: 6
Score 42.39 (291)
Differential: -26

Fourth quarters
Score 50.48 (348)
Differential: +94
AFL ranking: 3rd

Scoreless quarters, 2015: one, third quarter v Port Adelaide, round eight

Goalless quarters, 2015: four: last quarter v Melbourne, round four; first quarter v Geelong, round five; third quarter v Port Adelaide, round eight; last quarter v West Coast, round 12

Best quarter, 2015: 8.4 (52), last quarter v Brisbane Lions, round three

Best quarter since 2010: 11.5 (71), second quarter v Greater Western Sydney, round 22, 2013

Quirky stat
Richmond has had 14 fewer inside 50s than its opposition in the first 20 minutes of quarters – ranked No.8. It has won the count by 74 in the time-on period of quarters – ranked No.1.
Juicy stats right there! 90 rotations and a new player or two, might really suit us!

No sub plays to another ruck, or part time ruck. Which suits us as we can perhaps bring in McBean and play Griff down field more, with TV and MCBean (????) also playing 2nd ruck. We are one of the few teams with so much quality 200cm + timber. Can allow us to use that.

90 rotations might lead to players slowing down earlier, or coaches changing the game style a bit to rotate players whilst on the field. E.g. rotate Cotch, Dusty and Sheds through the forward line without taking them off. Could go many ways. Might lead to less muscular runners becoming more dominant, or the other way as more muscular guys can push the lighter guys around as they get more tired. I'd go runners as more likely. But a case for a slower style of contact game increasing is easy.

Overall, I reckon it suits us a bit. We might end up with more talls that can play ruck and be useful elsewhere as a big advantage.

Doesn't matter the strategy. ..past or future...
A top ruckman in the mould of nic nac than can jump/leap/ take a speccy...
Is hard to combat...
And disrupts any planned strategy. ..
Even the hawks are shite scared of a fit in form nic nac

Interestingly I think we've been planning for this or it's been part of our game style planning . To pick up more guys with a speed endurance combination for a little while. I don't think we'll be as exposed as other clubs from 2016 onwards.... But I guess we'll seeo_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back