Universal Love The game that just keeps giving (2013 - PF)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 7, 2011
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Uni Blacks
Just finished watching the final quarter of our prelim final victory over Geelong for about the 15th time and there's no way I'll ever get sick of it :). Every time it just seems to get better and better, watching every single player lift their intensity, put everything on the line and surge us to victory, the emotion of the playing group and crowd (and not to forget the look on Selwood's face after the siren ;)) . I also have to say my reaction to Burgoyne's goal that gives us the lead is the same every time - a big YESSS with fist pumping and rising off the couch.

Winning the premiership was an amazing way to crown a great year but like so many others on here I feel our victory in the prelim was the seasons highlight - pure gold.

Well done Hawks!!!

Great post.

That's the best game I've ever seen, and I've been watching the Hawks for a long, long, long time!
Grand Finals are different, but apart from Grand Finals, this was the best.

I used to have the 1987 Prelim and the Buddy 2007 Final up there, but the 2013 Prelim was something else: beating the hoodoo, coming from 19 points down with 11 minutes left, brilliant performances by individuals, a huge team effort, young and old players all contributing and the club's reputation on the line.

And the crowd roar when we hit the front was incredible!

What I loved was the mental strength of the players. The hoodoo was really getting to me, and I was almost afraid to watch because the thought of losing agan was just sickening. Yet the strength, endurance, courage and sheer determination of the playing group was just extraordinary.

There are many great chapters in Hawthorn's history. This was one of the best. :thumbsu:

The feeling I had when we ran around the wing in the last few seconds, splitting them open and spotting a pass to Cyril was just incredible. And the really important one percenters. Hale bumping three cats out of the way in the middle of the ground - if he hadn't done something spectacular they would have been away. Gibson's one on one. Hill's clean hands and a snapped goal. The handball from Gunston on his knees to Burgers and the "swooping hawk" celebration.

I think it has been mentioned in another thread, but the outpouring of emotion at the 2013 PF was the most I have seen since being at the 2008 GF. Sheer madness. The venting of 11 matches lost.

To come from behind just added another layer to the already hysterical enjoyment.

It was THE game that showed we were the best team of the year, without doubt. Premiership proved the icing.

Agree with OP, it is the game that keeps on giving! :)

never have I experienced such a wave of emotions in a game of footy

From absolutely shattered & about to go to bed at 3/4 time to the absolute euphoria at the end of the game

I knew we would beat Freo after witnessing that so I was never worried (apart from that 5 mins in the 3rd quarter!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Gunston was just super that night. The youngest forward out there and he was kicking goals at crucial times and was by far and away the most influential forward. Had some money on him kicking the first goal too. ;)

totally agree, have watched this one more than the GF - the frustration of the GF is that it NEARLY was full of highlights for us - so many near misses that would have been outrageous goals from the likes of Burger, Cyril, Roughy and others - if they went in its likely the games would be even :)

I think we all knew deep down in our Guts, that We had to Beat Geelong to prove ourselves Worthy of being the Premiers.....Now we can say THAT, no One can deny us the mantle of being both the Premiers & the indisputably best team of 2013!....Great way to get the Gorilla off the back too!

Great post.

That's the best game I've ever seen, and I've been watching the Hawks for a long, long, long time!
Grand Finals are different, but apart from Grand Finals, this was the best.

I used to have the 1987 Prelim and the Buddy 2007 Final up there, but the 2013 Prelim was something else: beating the hoodoo, coming from 19 points down with 11 minutes left, brilliant performances by individuals, a huge team effort, young and old players all contributing and the club's reputation on the line.

And the crowd roar when we hit the front was incredible!

I could pretty much recite that post word-for-word as my own. I too had the '87 prelim as my #1, followed by the '07 Buddy Final, but this one surpassed it. At the start of the last quarter, that was the filthiest I've ever been at a game (maybe second behind the '01 Prelim), and thought we were zero chance...then to slowly creep back, the range of emotions was unbelievable. As someone else said, that final play around the wing and into the FWD line was spine-tingling...the roar at the end still gives me the shivers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back