Premium Platinum
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Hall of Fame The Fred Medal RIP
Nov 17, 2000
Echuca
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Roys FFC
This board is for discussing the Olympics (And the Commonwealth Games!). It is not for trolling or juvenile comments by primary school drop-outs.

Those not posting in a proper manner will be infracted and/or have their board access removed without warning.

This occurred to me yesterday. Not only are we about to see some major triumphs at the Olympics. But we are also about to see huge devastation as well. There will be some athletes who will have lifelong regrets, making mistakes under pressure that will cost them gold or a medal. I'm thinking of people like Perdita Felicien and Lolo Jones.

I think Felicien may already be out. She broke in the Canadian 100MH selection trials and run 'under protest'. She finished 2nd, but really has no hope of qualifying.

HOWEVER - the race was won by e Heptathlete who is definitely doing that event. If she doesn't take her hurdles spot, they may 'give' it to Felicien. The other possibility is Lopes-Schliep, who hit a hurdle, ran out of her lane and finished 6th or 7th - but should also be DQ'd (out of her lane).

It will be interesting if the selectors use 'discretion' to select the runners, or just pick the next-best finishers in the race.

I think Felicien may already be out. She broke in the Canadian 100MH selection trials and run 'under protest'. She finished 2nd, but really has no hope of qualifying.

HOWEVER - the race was won by e Heptathlete who is definitely doing that event. If she doesn't take her hurdles spot, they may 'give' it to Felicien. The other possibility is Lopes-Schliep, who hit a hurdle, ran out of her lane and finished 6th or 7th - but should also be DQ'd (out of her lane).

It will be interesting if the selectors use 'discretion' to select the runners, or just pick the next-best finishers in the race.

This occurred to me yesterday. Not only are we about to see some major triumphs at the Olympics. But we are also about to see huge devastation as well. There will be some athletes who will have lifelong regrets, making mistakes under pressure that will cost them gold or a medal. I'm thinking of people like Perdita Felicien and Lolo Jones.
From Australia here I am thinking of Magnussen and Pearson. If they don't win their pet events they will be devastated.

Good result by Dani Samuels overnight in Paris. Won the discus - getting back to her best form. Not a great distance but it was wet. beat a reasonable field. She's still a chance in London.

Bannister was good in the Javelin - came 3rd - good distance - good form.

Pearson dominated. Led from the start and pulled away. Technically not 100%, but still better than anyone else in the race.

The summer Olympics sports watchers bible - over 1,300 pages of facts and figures and stories of individual events and winners and competitors as well as general info. Available at all good book stores and online at amazon.com

518KVL1q6rL._SS500_.jpg

THE best olympics book. I don't buy it every time, but I have a few - 1988 (current to 1984 Olympics), 1996, and 2008. I'll probably pick up the 2016. Recommended for everyone.

PS. You can usually pick up past editions in the 2nd hand shops once they are a year or so old.

I bought 1988 edition when I was in Canada and the 1992 one here. After I bought 1996 edition I was going to throw the first two out, but my mate said he would take them off my hands. Have kept all since 1996. What's interesting is that some of the stories change. I am going to see if I can get the 2 old editions back off my mate.

Read the OP of this thread and am still wondering why there is 2 threads currently on first page of the forum still open. I don't think they need to be pointed out they are pretty obvious.

I've still got all the night sessions of the athletics of my IQ. Can't bring myself to wipe them. Also have the 1948, 1956, 1964, 1968, 1980, 1984, 1992, 2000 and 2008 Official film docos still on the IQ. Haven't looked thru all of them yet, but they will be my summer viewing when the good shows are pulled over the non ratings period.

I've still got all the night sessions of the athletics of my IQ. Can't bring myself to wipe them. Also have the 1948, 1956, 1964, 1968, 1980, 1984, 1992, 2000 and 2008 Official film docos still on the IQ. Haven't looked thru all of them yet, but they will be my summer viewing when the good shows are pulled over the non ratings period.
Jam it in harder, why don't ya?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back