The Gaslight Anthem

Remove this Banner Ad

That sounds woeful.

yep........bloody great song.......done badly.

Brian Fallon is a bit hit and miss like that. He sounds freakin' woeful sometimes....he seems to have a habit of starting off in the wrong key sometimes and he just keeps going with it.

Couldn't be bothered finding another version.

Seeing them at the Palace last tour, it's hard to believe he'd be out that woefully. One of the best conversions album to live of a band I've seen besides Against Me!, Run the Jewels and alt-j.

Agreed.

I must admit to being a bit worried before the Palace gigs in 2013, as he really didn't seem to be on top of his game vocally in the few months leading up to them. However, my fears were completely unfounded...he belted each tune out brilliantly.

The other thing I'm happy to see with TGA is that they now seem to have the inclination to extend their setlist and play a little longer than they used to. They have so many great tunes that it seems to be a waste to max out at 20-23 songs like they have in the past.

I want night 1 to be Get Hurt heavy, assuming night 2 will be entirely back catalogue. There are some great songs on there.

Good to see that a Get Hurt song made the list for the "By Request" show in Sydney last night (1000 Years).

To be honest, I think I actually prefer Saturday night's standard setlist in Sydney over the requested one last night. It would be interesting to know just how "intimate" last night's was.

Last edited:
Good to see that a Get Heavy song made the list for the "By Request" show in Sydney last night (1000 Years).

To be honest, I think I actually prefer Saturday night's standard setlist in Sydney over the requested one last night. It would be interesting to know just how "intimate" last night's was.
"Get Heavy"... that's one I haven't heard yet!

Seriously though, I get that this hasn't been their most commercially successful album ever, but surely they would want to be playing more new stuff than deep cuts off Sink or Swim. Especially having the request show the night after, you would think the main show would be about showcasing the new album. There's some songs on there that I was really looking forward to hearing.

Regardless, I'm psyched for the next couple of nights.

"Get Heavy"... that's one I haven't heard yet!

Seriously though, I get that this hasn't been their most commercially successful album ever, but surely they would want to be playing more new stuff than deep cuts off Sink or Swim. Especially having the request show the night after, you would think the main show would be about showcasing the new album. There's some songs on there that I was really looking forward to hearing.

Regardless, I'm psyched for the next couple of nights.

I haven't heard it either :) Was obvoiusly reading the post I was replying to whilst I was typing...when he said he wanted tomorrow nights setlist to be Get Hurt heavy.

* me....bad day at work or what. Was singing Get Hurt whilst I was typing that as well.......sheesh!

Best I do some editing! Cheers

Pumped for Tuesday and Wednesday night

Great show tonight, thought the first 3qtrs kicked ass but the last few songs left me a bit flat.

Great expectations was the stand out (loved the way they played it)along with here comes my man and handwritten. I havnt seen the setlist yet so sure others that i will add to this list of favs.

Thought brians interaction with the crowd was good early but later on got lost and ruined the rythym of the show (was funny when he buggered up the intro a couple of times though)

Thought the crowd was so so, the idiots in front of me went straight to the front straight away to mosh so that was good and replaced by 2 hot girls was a bonus.

Interesting band to watch. They didnt change guitars once, no encores. The rhythm guitarist doesnt move, bassist is the most active, drummer kicks ass (seriously kicks ass) and lead guitarist plays some cool riffs (i was directly in front of him)

Again loved it but felt it ended a bit flat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing setlist. The pairing of 1930 and Patient Ferris Wheel the highlight for me. I would much prefer the studio version of Great Expectations (although I do the stripped down acoustic version when gigging).

top show, ******* love screaming at the top of my lungs song after song.

Was also lucky enough to say hi to Benny when he was just sitting by himself in one the free deck chairs in Federation Square about 90 minutes before the show and I also met Brian about 5 minutes after that when he was just walking down Flinders street with a couple of other guys.

Sink or swim songs got a great run....bring on Wednesday.

Brilliant show last night! Was hoping to hear a lot from sink or swim and '59 sound which are the 2 best gaslight albums by a mile, but honestly thought we'd mainly get there newer stuff so I was pleasantly surprised that sink or swim in particular got such a good run!

Highlights for me were: opening with the '59 sound and closing with we're getting a divorce which is a personal favourite.
: The patient Ferris wheel was probably the song of the night
: The mash up of red at night and springsteens I'm on fire was brilliant
: Majority of sink or swim getting played
: Didn't mind the acoustic version of great expectations, but I would've preferred the proper version has it would've gone off live!

All in all a great night by a very talented band. Spewing I'm missing the request show tonight!

It's strange, that setlist barring one or two obvious omissions (rare that they don't play The Backseat) is exactly what I would have expected tonight. Having reestablished my appreciation for Sink or Swim of late it was awesome getting most of the album played. I thought the new songs, 1000 Years and Red Violins particularly, sounded great live.

Was it just me or did the sound seem off at times? Particularly for a couple of the slower songs - The instruments completely drowned out his voice for BJ&WTs where I was standing anyway.

Roll on part 2 tonight anyway!

Loved last night's gig. The first 1/2 dozen songs were outstanding and then Brian's monitor issue brought everything to a standstill. Amazing venue to see a band like TGA and Brian genuinely seemed chuffed with the whole night. Would have loved to have seen Mae and Orphans last night (and maybe another go at Patient Ferris Wheel).

Got up nice and close, a meter or two to the right of Brian (just next to 7ft tall bloke against the barrier) , after sitting about 1/2 way back on Tuesday (against the first lot of railing). Thought both gigs were awesome, but my 46yo body is feeling it today after a couple of nights of jumping around.

On another note, we completed our quartet of TGA meetings when the two Alex's strolled past us in Catani Gardens at about 6pm.

Great couple of days....it's got me stuffed why they aren't bigger.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back