Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas is further outside than Nathan Lonie

Any further from the contest than your average Lonis and he would be in that hard to find TAB in the basement of the MCG.

I was watching the R22 game last night and heard Dennis Cometti say that Kane Lucas would play well at Subiaco

Any further from the contest than your average Lonis and he would be in that hard to find TAB in the basement of the MCG.
It became very apparent during the game at Adelaide Oval that Lucas didn't want to be anywhere near anything resembling a contest, so my mates and I who sit on the fence thought it would be right to hang over the fence and let him know that we'd noticed every time he came anywhere within earshot.

Let's not be seduced like cows still go on about 2012 and that 1 kick.

This whole "one kick away" thing - I hear far more about it from Cows fans than Port fans. There's a hint of quiet desperation as they say "we were only a kick away, you were only a kick away" thing, leaving an unsaid "so we mustn't be too far behind you, surely??".

I look at them like they're completely nuts. They don't get it at all.

A Cows side a little older than the Hawks and fresh from a tight home semi-final against Freo, nearly jag a prelim when Hawthorn go in a KPD short against Walker & Tippett and also nearly kick the game away with inaccuracy. The Hawks then did kick the GF away the following week (not to take much away from Sydney that day).

A Port side more than two years younger than the Hawks and "fresh" from a tight away semi-final in Perth against Freo, nearly jag a prelim, kicking it away with inaccuracy. The Hawks then win the GF in a canter after brutally shoving aside a Sydney side that was arguably better equipped than the Sydney they had lost to in 2012.

One side rabbits on for two years about "being a kick away" in the same breath as recalling that time three, four, now five years ago when they were "robbed, right in front of me".

The other side says "that's enough ****ing honourable defeats for us, thanks" and does everything it can to make itself better.

NB: after 2012, Brian Lake turned out to be just about the missing piece for the Hawks... shades of us and Ryder for 2015 I hope.

I was watching the R22 game last night and heard Dennis Cometti say that Kane Lucas would play well at Subiaco
Whilst the game was at the Adelaide Oval... ;) .. now that is playing wide of the contest!

Unless he meant at the club Subiaco...which is probably his next destination. And they took him over Talia.

... NB: after 2012, Brian Lake turned out to be just about the missing piece for the Hawks... shades of us and Ryder for 2015 I hope.
At the moment I see Ryder mainly as insurance for if Lobbe is unavailable. But I'm looking forward to being as spectacularly wrong with that as I was that White/Polec would make much difference this year. As Foxtel cycles through the season I'm looking at a few Essendon games to watch him (anyone have any tips on which ones I should look at?). And any of our games I watch I think 'Who would he have replaced?' and 'How would we have used him here?'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the moment I see Ryder mainly as insurance for if Lobbe is unavailable. But I'm looking forward to being as spectacularly wrong with that as I was that White/Polec would make much difference this year. As Foxtel cycles through the season I'm looking at a few Essendon games to watch him (anyone have any tips on which ones I should look at?). And any of our games I watch I think 'Who would he have replaced?' and 'How would we have used him here?'

Lake only played 11 games last year (yes I know he played 20 in his first year with the Hawks) but the point is he was managed and ready for the business end of the season. If Paddy can get 11 games in for 2015, he should have a big impact even without counting the valuable side effect of lightening Lobbe's workload.

This whole "one kick away" thing - I hear far more about it from Cows fans than Port fans. There's a hint of quiet desperation as they say "we were only a kick away, you were only a kick away" thing, leaving an unsaid "so we mustn't be too far behind you, surely??".

I look at them like they're completely nuts. They don't get it at all.

A Cows side a little older than the Hawks and fresh from a tight home semi-final against Freo, nearly jag a prelim when Hawthorn go in a KPD short against Walker & Tippett and also nearly kick the game away with inaccuracy. The Hawks then did kick the GF away the following week (not to take much away from Sydney that day).

A Port side more than two years younger than the Hawks and "fresh" from a tight away semi-final in Perth against Freo, nearly jag a prelim, kicking it away with inaccuracy. The Hawks then win the GF in a canter after brutally shoving aside a Sydney side that was arguably better equipped than the Sydney they had lost to in 2012.

One side rabbits on for two years about "being a kick away" in the same breath as recalling that time three, four, now five years ago when they were "robbed, right in front of me".

The other side says "that's enough ****ing honourable defeats for us, thanks" and does everything it can to make itself better.

NB: after 2012, Brian Lake turned out to be just about the missing piece for the Hawks... shades of us and Ryder for 2015 I hope.
To be fair to Crows fans, not many of them actually say that. Idiots might say it, but that´s because they´re idiots, not because they´re Crow fans. We have our own idiots that do the whole ¨one kick away¨ deal too.

To be fair to Crows fans, not many of them actually say that. Idiots might say it, but that´s because they´re idiots, not because they´re Crow fans. We have our own idiots that do the whole ¨one kick away¨ deal too.

... and just because the Adelaide media always drags out the "one kick away" line whenever they talk about the Crows drop off since 2012 doesn't mean that all Crows supporters are still getting over it.

Rd.6 vs Collingwood
Rd.8 vs Brisbane
Rd.9 vs Sydney
Rd.18 vs Dogs.
Rd.19 vs Sydney.

Whilst the game was at the Adelaide Oval... ;) .. now that is playing wide of the contest!

Unless he meant at the club Subiaco...which is probably his next destination. And they took him over Talia.

He did mean for one of the WA AFL Clubs. Bruce asked whether he meant for Freo or The Eagles, and he responded with "either one"

Rd.6 vs Collingwood
Rd.8 vs Brisbane
Rd.9 vs Sydney
Rd.18 vs Dogs.
Rd.19 vs Sydney.
Much appreciated. I'm not asking why you picked those games, I'll watch them to get a deeper appreciation of Ryder. But how did you generate that list so quickly?

On the recent topic of Josh Simpson, Freo haven't had a very good record recently with selecting/retaining their top picks.

Year 1st 2nd
2006 - Trade - Tarrant(Coll) Clayton Collard (del)
2007 - Rhys Palmer (GWS) Clayton Hinkley (del)
2008 - Stephen Hill Ballantyne and Suban
2009 - Morabito (26) Fyfe
2010 - Pitt (ret) Michie*(Melb)
2011 - Sheridan (19) Crozier (23) and Forster (del)
2012 - Simpson (del) Duffy (2) and T.Smith (1)
2013 too early to tell.

They've already lost 8/17 Round 1 & 2 picks (Morabito ravaged by injury would be no.9).

Compare that to us.

Year 1st 2nd
2006 - Boak P.Stewart
2007 - Lobbe M.Motlop (del)
2008 - Hartlett J.Trengove
2009 - Moore/Butch/Pittard N/A
2010 - Jacobs (s**t) Newton and Young
2011 - Wingard (67) Ah Chee (0)
2012 - Wines (49) Clurey (1) and Shaw (0)

We've managed to keep 15/17 of our Round 1 and 2 picks (as well as Brad Ebert in 2011). Credit to our recruiters and welfare staff at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back