Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk about racism and themed rounds only exacerbates the problem.
There will always be racism and division in Australia, until every single ethnic group stops thinking of themselves as Anglo-saxon, Aboriginal, Greek, Lebanese or any other group primarily, and we all start to consider ourselves Australians first. It won't happen in my lifetime, but I am an optimist.

IDGAF where your parents, grandparents or forebears originated from. If you are Australian, you are my brethren.

Chad fever, baby.
Like Dylan. When I saw you quoted my post I thought you were going to give me a big telling off. But you've changed :p

Two weeks on the Pacific Dawn and I'm trying to catch up. If I get out of line in the next couple of days feel free to fry me. Anyway nothing to see here move on.

Anzac round isn't about making the few remaining Anzacs,....
See the difference? Anzac round serves a purpose, multicultural round does not, ...
Sorry mate, but that's pure twaddle! Previous argument was: "Forget themed rounds, its just a bloody game of football!" There are many followers and supporters of AFL who have little connection to Anzac day, but respect other people's views to honour it with a themed round. Fact is, AFL is patently NOT all about the football! It is intrinsically woven into our society, the clubs, the supporters, the people ... along with the issues and events that affect and mold us.

I have used the free tickets handed out over the last few years to take some Burmese refugees that have settled in Australia, and whom I have to help in my day-to-day activities, to see a game of Aussie rules. They have been blown away by it. I will keep doing it each year if they keep on giving the 4 free tickets. Well done to the AFL, and I have done my bit to promote the game!

PS ... One of the fellas I took last is busting his britches to go with me to see Port play the Suns up here ... loves the game!

Speaking of multi-cultural appeal, my Polish missus became a card carrying member this season. Hopefully that's enough to get her through the Department for (Non-)Immigration's bloody visa approval processes ;)

Though I take on board Portologies belief that some groups are more deserving than others for attention, and in general themed rounds are not affecting my enjoyment (or not) of the football, basically I agree with FPPPs concepts of a great big melting pot and our real freedoms in Australia, particularly nowadays.

In particular, having worked for decades with the whole gamut of people colour, race, religion, boat people, you name it, etc, I find that I don't look at the category a person fits in to. Increasingly I see their personal makeup, how they treat others etc, and judge them by that.

Anyway, enough.

As someone who did not fight at Gallipoli, I'm offended by ANZAC round.
It just gets pushed down our throats. Like, why do the AFL try to shoehorn their agendas into football? I'm an intelligent guy, let me figure stuff out for myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading this thread.

And watching Vanilla Sky at the same time.

Losing. My. Mind.

tumblr_mga7tbyDQq1rjietso1_500.gif

Last edited:
If a particular themed round doesn't resonate with you then chances are it isn't aimed at you.

Sure, most of us couldn't care less about multicultural round but tell that to the hundreds of Asian students that the Bulldogs will probably be giving free tickets to or the thousands of people from different backgrounds who don't normally follow the game but might tune into the multi lingual coverages just out of curiosity, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back