Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He got stuffed over with the GWS job didn't he?

I think there was an unwritten understanding he would take over from Sheedy, but they ended up going for a "succession plan" with a younger coach. Coached them in their first season in NEAFL before AFL, and coached them during the week in their proper first season while Sheedy was jetsetting around the country spruiking the franchise.

Not quite stuffed over, but definitely a ******* around.

I wouldn't mind if he puts in for the Essendon job and gets it.

Nah, **** 'em. When a club in desperate need of as many experienced heads as possible delists Jed Adcock at 29 after he was their captain last year, they deserve everything they get. Loyalty is a two way street.

That was puzzling. Of all the players on their list, they target Adcock?

We knew it was coming, but there is an article out now saying the SANFL are blaming their lower crowds on Adelaide Oval being:

• Too popular
  • Too nice in comparison to their shitty grounds
  • Not s**t

A comment. Crows have beaten a top 8 team 3 times this season. Port have beaten a top 8 team 5 times this season.

1. I don't expect the Crows to advance far in the finals.

2. it sucks!

A comment. Crows have beaten a top 8 team 3 times this season. Port have beaten a top 8 team 5 times this season.

1. I don't expect the Crows to advance far in the finals.

2. it sucks!

2. Its mean't to,we got beyond our station last yearand it frightened them
I'm not paranoid..............and who wants to know

1. Either way we'll hear all about it from a fawning media

It's alright. They will just jack up the prices of food at AO to cover the lower crowds at SANFL matches.

What? There is a GDV you say?

Alright, to the AFL for a 5 million handout claiming the need for funding for "grass roots" and "promoting the game in the community".

Ever thought of internal reform and cost cutting you humongous ******s?

We knew it was coming, but there is an article out now saying the SANFL are blaming their lower crowds on Adelaide Oval being:

• Too popular
  • Not s**t
Was always going to happen. Who wanst to use a 2000 brick size mobile phone when you can get the latest iphone or android one? Reality Bites!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Too popular
  • Not s**t

There was an article in the Messenger basically saying the AFL reserve teams have ruined the integrity of the competition* and SANFL crowds are lower because of this. The proposed solution was to form a national AFL reserves comp and leave the SANFL pure.

I agree that there should be a national AFL reserves comp but am not sold that it would lead to a recovery of the SANFL's fortunes.

*competition integrity was maintained previously because...get this...there was a draft of AFL listed players.

Watch them spend on lavish oval upgrades for everywhere but Alberton. It won't solve anything, but I'm sure they will source the cash off their two local tithes.
Big TV screens, a decent sound system, decent drainage and a big bouncy castle for the kids and they reckon that will bring it up to AO standard.

There was an article in the Messenger basically saying the AFL reserve teams have ruined the integrity of the competition* and SANFL crowds are lower because of this. The proposed solution was to form a national AFL reserves comp and leave the SANFL pure.

I agree that there should be a national AFL reserves comp but am not sold that it would lead to a recovery of the SANFL's fortunes.

*competition integrity was maintained previously because...get this...there was a draft of AFL listed players.

If we can get them praying for a national reserves comp, we've done our job. The rest will be history. The SANFL will survive, they always do. However, should they want this. They should also cease any and all connections to the crows and port adelaide.

Unfortunately we will have to pay them for our licence, they have us there.

Big TV screens, a decent sound system, decent drainage and a big bouncy castle for the kids and they reckon that will bring it up to AO standard.

The rest goes to the SANFL administrators and clubs ceos slush funds.

latest

Norwood: Hey, Port Adelaide! Look what I've got!
Port: (whistles) Oh, she's a beaut! Hey, congratulations, Norwood! I'm sure you'll have loads of fun!
Norwood: (chuckles to Sturt) Jealous.

A national reserves league is a waste of monies. And what happens when a club has only 26 players to pick 2 teams from? Where do they get the players from?

Euro soccer leagues have reserves but the travel distance and cost is small.

The northern american sports get it right and dont have national reserves but have teams in regional leagues which serve the dual purpose of providing a reserves and farm system as well as provide cities and counties and regional towns teams that mean something to that area but feed in to the national teams. Eg AAA , AA and single A baseball teams. Baseball does it the best. NFL dont have reserve teams or feeder teams. NHL has really strong regional leagues especially in Canada and close to the border on the US side. Southern Ontario is bloody strong and covers a relatively small geographical region but there are other strong provincial leagues in Canada. Basketball has some feeder comps around US but once again they are regional not national.

The answer is smart regional/state bodies who look at the bigger picture positives rather than whinging all the time and work things to maximize their advantage. Some of our dopey administrators should go look at the baseball and hockey leagues in North America and see how they take advantage of being a feeder league to the national league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back