Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I read an obituary for Emile Griffith today, first I heard that he had passed on. I imagine that's a name from the stone age for many, but Griffith was big in his time. He suffered for many years with pugilistic dementia. A strange combination of elegant ring work, a lightning jab, and incomprehensible commentary. If you get a chance to see a documentary called Ring of Fire: The Emile Griffith Story (made in about 2005) it gives a great backdrop to the fight game, and the aftermath of a career. Rest in peace now, Emile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:oops:

Wow... people really must dislike boxing on here? No thread about the biggest fight of the year?

Mayweather vs Canelo - TOMORROW

Wow... people really must dislike boxing on here? No thread about the biggest fight of the year?

I will be watching and hoping Alvarez can pull off the upset, but I expect Mayweather to keep away from most of Canelo's power punches and win by decision.

Why don't you start that thread then?

I like boxing so I'll definitely be watching this. Boxing's had a great year so far with a lot of really good fights. Bradley vs. Provodnikov and Alvarado vs. Rios 2 stand out to me as a couple of the best fights. Then there's this fight tomorrow which is massive and a number of very interesting big fights before the end of the year.

Fight night (or day down here).:D

I expect this one to go the distance, maybe even with both boxers never being knocked down at all either. Canelo is one tough bugger but whether he can actually hurt Pretty Boy is another thing altogether.

I expect Canelo to start well, but then for Mayweather to take over and dominate the last 6-7 rounds and win by an easy points decision.

Massive buildup to the this fight, I just hope it lives up the the hype, even a little bit.

Hey all just wondering if anyone can help me, I'm currently in seminyak in Bali and I'm looking for a place to watch the fight, does anyone know where I can watch it????

Mayweather has to be the favourite since no one has been able to connect more than two punches consecutively on him. However after the Cotto fight Mayweather said that Cotto was the hardest guy he has ever fought and that he's never been hit that hard. You would have to think that due to the size difference Canelo could stagger Mayweather if he uses the jab correctly to set up his right hand like he did in the Trout fight.

I'm torn because if Mayweather continues his streak it shows that his defensive, smart style of boxing is effective even when facing a size disadvantage. However I think for the good of the sport Canelo winning could open up more fights that would be interesting. Canelo would be more likely to fight Sergio Martinez and Andre Ward (at a catchweight) than Mayweather for all his posturing. Mayweather is notorious for picking fighters when they're no longer at their peak.

As an aside why are the girls in boxing so much hotter than anything the UFC has ever had? The girls at the weigh ins, the ring girls and the girls in the entourages are so much better than the same two girls the UFC trots out. Clearly a sign boxing still has pulling power.

Just an exhibition from Mayweather there.

And one judge gave it a draw, what a ******* joke.:mad::eek:

Cynthia J. Ross - she was one of the judges that gave Bradley the decision win against Pacquiao.

The only round I could of given to Alvarez was the 10th and Mayweather just used his arms and shoulders to absorb any damage.

If this fight showed anything it is that speed kills. Mayweather to quick with the jab and smart with his use of the lead right.

Who's Mayweather going to fight in his next four fights for Showtime? Marquez, Trout, Pacquiao with Parkinsons?

Maybe they can roll out the Fatman/Hitman for a rematch.

Cynthia J. Ross - she was one of the judges that gave Bradley the decision win against Pacquiao.

The only round I could of given to Alvarez was the 10th and Mayweather just used his arms and shoulders to absorb any damage.

If this fight showed anything it is that speed kills. Mayweather to quick with the jab and smart with his use of the lead right.

Who's Mayweather going to fight in his next four fights for Showtime? Marquez, Trout, Pacquiao with Parkinsons?

Maybe they can roll out the Fatman/Hitman for a rematch.

Danny Garcia would be very interesting if they can meet at a comfortable weight level. Garcia's poise and granite chin against Mathysee was all class. Next up I'd go with Trout but the counter punching styles might put us to sleep. As for Pacquiao, he's cooked and does not do well with counter punchers. If he struggles with Marquez, then I'd imagine Floyd would be too much of a handful.

Here's the scorecard, just for the lols;

BULrN10CUAAnLHD.jpg

Here's the scorecard, just for the lols;

BULrN10CUAAnLHD.jpg
Just sickening, really. Pacquiao's loss to Bradley was daylight robbery and I was bracing myself for Mayweather when the drawn score was read out.

Pacuiao's fight was re-scored(did not overturn the result, unfortunately) against Bradly. The first judge had it 115-111, the second had it 116-112, the third 117-111, the fourth 118-110 and the fifth and final judge had it 117-111 for Pacquiao.

Boxing needs to speak to Vlad about integrity. :D

Heres a bit of a breakdown on some of the fights CJ Ross has scored, to me it just screams out that shes corrupt and making fights go to majority decisions on purpose:

2012, June 9 - Manny Pacquiao vs. Timothy Bradley for the WBO Welterweight Title. Ross, along with Duane Ford and Jerry Roth, received heavy criticism for their scoring, as many thought Pacquiao cruised. Scores: Duane Ford 113-115, C.J. Ross 113-115, Jerry Roth 115-113.

2011, Nov. 12 - Juan Carlos Burgos vs. Luis Cruz for the WBC Silver and WBO Latino Super Featherweight Titles - Ross was the only judge who did not score the bout heavily in favor of Burgos, instead seeing it as a draw. Scores: Duane Ford 98-92, C.J. Ross 95-95, Richard Ocasio 97-93.

2011, Aug. 13 - Joseph Agbeko vs. Abner Mares (1st meeting) for the WBC Silver and IBF Bantamweight Titles. Ross was the only judge not scoring Mares as the winner, instead seeing that bout as a draw. Scores: Adalaide Byrd 111-115, C.J. Ross 113-113, Oren Shellenberger 111-115.

2011, July 23 - Josiah Judah vs. Rafael Jastrzebski - Ross was the only judge not scoring in favor of Judah. She instead had the bout a draw. Scores: Richard Ocasio 59-55, Jerry Roth 58-56, C.J. Ross 57-57.

2011, May 7 - Rodel Mayol vs. Javier Gallo - Ross was the only judge not scoring the bout handily in favor of Mayol, insteading seeing it as a draw. Scores: Jerry Roth 98-92, Lisa Giampa 98-92, C.J. Ross 95-95.

2009, July 3 - Rodrigo Romero vs. David Springer (1st meeting) - Ross was the only judge to score the bout in favor of Springer. Scores: Glenn Trowbridge 39-37, Richard Ocasio 39-37, C.J. Ross 37-39.

2008, Feb. 7 - Kendall Holt vs. Ben Tackie - Ross was the only judge who did not score the bout handily in favor of Holt, instead scoring the bout as a draw. Scores: Richard Houck 98-92, Paul Smith 98-92, C.J. Ross 95-95.

2007, July 28 - Don Juan Futrell vs. Hector Camacho Jr. - Ross was the only judge not to score the bout in favor of Futrell. Scores: Robert Hoyle 76-75, Dave Moretti 76-75, C.J. Ross 75-76.

2005, June 10 - Gerardo Cesar Prieto vs. Lamar Horne - Ross was the only judge who did not score the bout in favor of Prieto. Scores: Bill Graham 57-56, Al Lefkowitz 57-56, C.J. Ross 56-57.

2002, July 13 - Kevin Kelley vs. Humberto Soto for the NABA Super Featherweight Title. Ross was the only judge not scoring the bout in favor of Kelley, instead having it as a draw. Scores: Carol Castellano 116-112, Paul Smith 115-113, C.J. Ross 114-114.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back