Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I don't follow boxing that closely but I see that Golovkin's fighting on the weekend. He's been knocking out everyone they put against him.

I don't know too much about his opponent, Murray. What's the expectation for this fight? And doesn't Golovkin want to fight some big names but they don't want to fight him?

Beavis07

Team Captain
Apr 30, 2011
Not Sure
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't follow boxing that closely but I see that Golovkin's fighting on the weekend. He's been knocking out everyone they put against him.

I don't know too much about his opponent, Murray. What's the expectation for this fight? And doesn't Golovkin want to fight some big names but they don't want to fight him?

Murray is a decent fighter with a very deceiving record. Could make a strong case that he should still be undefeated. Was robbed against Sturm and was unlucky not to get the decision against Martinez in Argentina. In saying that he has also had his fair share of luck against fighters he should have put away quite easily but I haven't seen those fights so I don't know how true that is. I guess a lot more people would have been excited for this fight had it taken place a year or two ago as it would have been a great stepping stone for Golovkin but now we know that Golovkin is a top fighter so we probably won't find out too much.

As for the big names unfortunately the middleweight division is very bare at the moment. Cotto is the big one but good luck getting Cotto to fight Golovkin. Alvarez might move up after his next fight but other than that it's tough to get excited about any other potential matchups at Middleweight. Golovkin will probably have to move up if he wants to fight a big name.

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I read some previews of Golovkin/Murray that said Murray's really tough and could stay in there for most of the rounds or even make it to a decision.

Played out just like that. Would have been good to see Murray's corner stop it earlier, as he was taking a beating for a while without looking like he had much hope of winning.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Excessive to say the least. Early days I was hearing something like $4.5k for cheap seats.

Is the lead-up to the fight getting a lot of media attention over there?
I am actually in Adelaide mate, but heading to the US next week, and then thought id go to Vegas for the weekend of the fight as a boxing fan and see if i could scalp something on the night... I dont like my chances unbless i have a lazy 4k in my pocket....

Even accommodation is ridiculous. I have been to LV a few times and prices are usually very good. For example, you could stay at Wynn/Bellagio/Aria for around 200 US a night. Weekend of the fight, you wont get a room there for less than 1500 USD per night...

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
I am actually in Adelaide mate, but heading to the US next week, and then thought id go to Vegas for the weekend of the fight as a boxing fan and see if i could scalp something on the night... I dont like my chances unbless i have a lazy 4k in my pocket....

Even accommodation is ridiculous. I have been to LV a few times and prices are usually very good. For example, you could stay at Wynn/Bellagio/Aria for around 200 US a night. Weekend of the fight, you wont get a room there for less than 1500 USD per night...

So the $4k type prices I've been hearing are real then? Wow!

Frustrating when your timing for being there could have been so opportune.

I have a feeling Mayweather will win easily anyway. Probably in an anti-climax outcome. Manny was a real chance 4 and 5 years ago when the fight was first beeing mooted, but I think his time has passed. Hope I'm very wrong through!!

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
So the $4k type prices I've been hearing are real then? Wow!

Frustrating when your timing for being there could have been so opportune.

I have a feeling Mayweather will win easily anyway. Probably in an anti-climax outcome. Manny was a real chance 4 and 5 years ago when the fight was first beeing mooted, but I think his time has passed. Hope I'm very wrong through!!
Yep - i think being there for fight weekend will still be awesome. I went last year and saw Marquez v Bradley but that was at Thomas and Mack at UNiversity of LV. Pretty good fight, but Pac v Mayweather will be a level up. Hopefully i can get to the weigh in if nothing else.

I agree - I think Mayweather has too many tricks for Pac Man. I think he wins pretty comfortably on points.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Yep - i think being there for fight weekend will still be awesome. I went last year and saw Marquez v Bradley but that was at Thomas and Mack at UNiversity of LV. Pretty good fight, but Pac v Mayweather will be a level up. Hopefully i can get to the weigh in if nothing else.

I agree - I think Mayweather has too many tricks for Pac Man. I think he wins pretty comfortably on points.

How do you think it might have panned out about 5 years back? I think Manny would have been a real chance of stopping Mayweather then, and it might have been a pick 'em fight.

I have some connections in the fight game and although most of them are hoping for a Manny win, none of them are expecting it.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
How do you think it might have panned out about 5 years back? I think Manny would have been a real chance of stopping Mayweather then, and it might have been a pick 'em fight.

I have some connections in the fight game and although most of them are hoping for a Manny win, none of them are expecting it.
I think Manny has very slowly declined in the last 3 years. I think certainly 5 years ago he could have beaten Floyd. No surprise that Floyd didnt want to fight him then. Manny is all action and will throw alot of punches. If he can hurt Floyd early (like Moseley did), but then continue on, then i think he can win. I hope he does, but I think Floyd's supreme defence and that beautiful shoulder roll he has will see him pick apart Manny and land him plenty of counter punches to see him win on the cards quite easily....

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
I think Manny has very slowly declined in the last 3 years. I think certainly 5 years ago he could have beaten Floyd. No surprise that Floyd didnt want to fight him then. Manny is all action and will throw alot of punches. If he can hurt Floyd early (like Moseley did), but then continue on, then i think he can win. I hope he does, but I think Floyd's supreme defence and that beautiful shoulder roll he has will see him pick apart Manny and land him plenty of counter punches to see him win on the cards quite easily....

Pretty good summary. I think Mayweather will look to keep Manny away with his speed, longer jab and evasive skills, and just try to wear Manny down - all the while accumulating rounds. Manny's explosive power seems to have fallen away and, as you said, unless he hurts Mayweather early, he probably won't get a look in.

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Apparently the cheapest tickets to Pacquiao/Mayweather, when they went on sale, were something like $1000 or $1500. Arum said that even celebrities have to pay for their tickets this time. On twitter someone summed it up as the 1% fighting in front of the 1%.

Hopefully i can get to the weigh in if nothing else.
I recently saw that you'll have to pay to see the weigh-ins, which is a apparently a first. At first I thought they were just trying to milk some more money out of everyone. Apparently it's so they can control the crowd and it's just $10, with the money made going to charity.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Apparently the cheapest tickets to Pacquiao/Mayweather, when they went on sale, were something like $1000 or $1500. Arum said that even celebrities have to pay for their tickets this time. On twitter someone summed it up as the 1% fighting in front of the 1%.

I recently saw that you'll have to pay to see the weigh-ins, which is a apparently a first. At first I thought they were just trying to milk some more money out of everyone. Apparently it's so they can control the crowd and it's just $10, with the money made going to charity.
I read that 10 dollar for weigh in so hopefully can get to that....

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Is Cotto past his time...Havent followed Cotto's career.

Cotto is still very much a class act. But having come up a division he is a smaller man than many middleweights, including Geale. That's why Cotto is trying to get the bout set at a catchweight of 157 pounds. Rather than fight Geale at the 160 pound middleweight limit.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
What exactly does that mean? closed circuit seats?

I would assume, and that's all it is, that they have venues where it will be screened live and you have to purchase tickets to be there.

In Oz that is usually your local pub and all you pay for is the beer you drink while you are there.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I would assume, and that's all it is, that they have venues where it will be screened live and you have to purchase tickets to be there.

In Oz that is usually your local pub and all you pay for is the beer you drink while you are there.
Right - thats what i thought, but i wasnt 100% sure. Thats what i will be doing... Wonder how much we will have to pay to get into a bar to watch it.

Back