Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from the usual reasons, I’m looking forward to this because Mayweather has adopted a low carb-high protein diet in preparation for the fight. This goes against all the so called experts opinions who insist explosive sports need high carbohydrate and restricting it will inhibit performance.

I wonder how experimental his actual diet really is?

Why anyone who has got so much right, in the ring at least anyway, for so long, would start experimenting with diets now is beyond me.

The Lucas Browne vs Ruslan Chagaev fight ordered by the WBA for their title a few months back appears doomed. So much so that Browne is getting really pissed with his management as well.

Lucas Browne doesn't look any closer to clinching that title fight with Ruslan Chagaev.

Chagaev's promoter, Terek Box Event, and its principal Timur Dugazaev, have issued a press release stating that "there will be no rematch between Chagaev and Oquendo" and that Dugazaev will "sue Oquendo in Moscow for returning the purse as stated in the contract."

In response to the press release, Oquendo's lawyer, Judd Burstein, has requested a conference with Judge Abrams for permission to make a motion to have the Court appoint a private prosecutor to go after Terek and Dugazaev for criminal contempt.

Meanwhile Browne who was all set to fight Chagaev for the title is left in the cold and probably soon in need of an opponent to keep himself busy.

Less than a week away til Billy Dib 39-3 fights Takashi Miura 28-2-2 for his WBC super featherweight title.

"The minute that I walked into a boxing gym I knew that it was my destiny, I knew I was going to be a world champion. You know at the age of thirteen I was writing on walls that I was going to be a future world champion, and I've already achieved that, everything from now on is what you call a bonus" - Billy Dib

"I also have a lot of respect for Lebanon and Palestine because that's where my family is from, but at the end of the day if you're not happy living in the country that you're living in you need to leave, and I'm very happy here and I'm very happy to represent to the highest level."

Hearing Lucas Browne may have been paid 'step-aside' money not to fight Rusaln Chagaev? Struggling to believe it though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billy Dib 39-3 fights Takashi Miura 28-2-2 for his WBC super featherweight title on friday night.

The fight will be televised on free to air - Channel 9 I think - check your TV guide.

Ruslan Chagaev will fight on June 27th in Germany in an optional defence against an as yet unnamed opponent BEFORE he fights Lucas Browne.

The stand-aside money rumour seems to have gathered momentum.

Sure enough Rick Hatton has now confirmed Lucas Browne was paid stand aside money:

Ricky Hatton Promotions have issued a statement to clarify Chagaev’s team "explicitly stated they wished Ruslan to make an optional defense first as they had an outstanding TV commitment".

This has been agreed to and Browne will receive financial compensation to “step aside”, with a view to the mandatory contest between Browne and Chagaev still happening after the fight set to fulfill the TV commitments.

The optional defense has already been delayed and is now being set for June 27. So Browne will have to wait months after June 27 for his crack at Chagaev and the world title he craves.

Graham Earl, best known to Aussie fight fans for having fought Michael Katsidis twice, finds himself in very deep stook >

Former British and Commonwealth lightweight boxing champion Graham Earl has been jailed for 7 years over his part in a drugs gang.

Earl, 36, of Luton, is one of 6 men who have been sentenced to a total of 41 years in prison for their role in a conspiracy to supply drugs in North Hertfordshire and surrounding areas.

Earl has been jailed for conspiracy to supply cocaine.

Some decent names there. Jai Opetaia making his debut as well. Do you think we will ever see Tomlinson-Dib? Don't follow the domestic scene too closely but I keep hearing about it. Would be a good fight for both considering where they are at in their respective careers imo.

Some decent names there. Jai Opetaia making his debut as well. Do you think we will ever see Tomlinson-Dib? Don't follow the domestic scene too closely but I keep hearing about it. Would be a good fight for both considering where they are at in their respective careers imo.

Most of the 'do you think we'll ever sees' never seem to happen. But the planets have probably very nearly aligned for a Tomlinson vs Dib bout.

Did anyone watch golivkin today, he is awesome. Just a wrecking machine!

Golovkin in a once in a generation fighter who could dominate at 160 for as long as he chooses.

His jaw is cast iron too. As he proved when he KOed Geale whilst being stuck solidly the instant before, and against Monroe, where were a couple of times simultaneous blows landed, and GGG barely blinked whilst Monroe was being rocked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back