Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

like floyd or not fact remains he can fight 49-0 speaks for its self more championship fights then anyone yeah he talks a lot of s**t but people pay to see him win or get knocked out. personally I enjoy his fighting style yes he has slowed down and doesn't have the ko power anymore but he is still easily the best in his division 49 fights and never been dropped speaks for it self

Hope Mayweather actually does retire. Looking at the possibilities and there really aren't too many fights that excite me. Moving to middleweight will inevitably bring about Mayweather-Golovkin interest and unlike Pacquiao, I actually think Golovkin has a good chance of beating him so he will probably avoid that. Erislandy Lara has a rough chance but that would be one hell of an ugly fight for the casual followers who want a war so it'll never get made. Only other one is Jermall Charlo. Looked bloody impressive on the weekend but doesn't have enough runs on the board at the moment. I love Thurman but he has flaws that would be exploited by Mayweather.

Floyd will unfortunately comeback and have another fight, he will not stay retired. He is making too much money to walk away from boxing for good. Chances are, he will probably announce his return at some point during the same week that Pacquiao has a fight.
I also cannot believe that he could go out on a fight with Berto.

His 6 fight contract with Showtime is finished, so he will probably come back and let HBO and Showtime bid on his return fight.

Do you actually think he's the best ever? Or is it just something to say?
I once had a brief attempt at an argument with a fanboy on here who thought Tyson was the GOAT. :drunk: Anything is possible on the interwebs. :)

Where would you have Mayweather in an all time best list?

I haven't watched enough boxing to really have any idea.
Why not get the mans own opinion..? And yes, this is his legitimate view...

11012054_872276592849716_2196824518385328808_n.jpg

http://themoneyteam.com/headwear-tbe/

I actually think he's one of the best ever, you're allowed to not like the man but you can't deny he's an all-time great.
Yeah I get that he calls himself TBE.

I haven't watched enough boxing to really have any idea about where he'd fit on an all time list. I know that he's a great boxer but that's about it. I was just wondering because I've seen various opinions online about where he sits on an all time list. Some say he's 1, others say he's top 10 and others say he's nowhere near the top 10.

I haven't watched enough boxing to really have any idea about where he'd fit on an all time list. I know that he's a great boxer but that's about it. I was just wondering because I've seen various opinions online about where he sits on an all time list. Some say he's 1, others say he's top 10 and others say he's nowhere near the top 10.

There's generally a theme to the people that don't think he's an all-time great. They're either Pacquiao fans, casuals or simply hate Floyd because of his personal indiscretions.

What's unfortunate? His game is fine as long as he keeps picking the right opponents. Could go on for years if he can maintain the interest.

What's unfortunate? Exactly because of the bolded part in your sentence. He will come back and 'pick' the right opponents. He will not go and truly challenge himself and fight the best available opponent, he will pick the right opponent at the right time.
Mayweather is definitely one of the greats but still quite a few guys ahead of him and what separates him from other greats is that he doesn't take big risks inside the ring and his match making outside the ring (which is mainly post his 130-135 days)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All time lists are purely subjective but you will find many that wouldn't even have him in the top 20. Even in the modern era, I don't even know if I would have Mayweather that far ahead of Bernard Hopkins. What Bernard Hopkins has been able to achieve up until the age of 49 years old is absolutely remarkable and goes really underrated in all sports as a whole. I still remember him in 2001 going into his fight with Tito Trinidad as a big underdog at about 35 years old, and experts were saying that father time is approaching and the younger Trinidad will be too strong for the old man. He kept going for almost another 15 years.
That to me is remarkable with his longevity in the sport. He held the record for the most title defenses as a middleweight and in his early 40's jumped up 2 divisions to light heavyweight and became a linear champion up there as well.

Where would you have Mayweather in an all time best list?

I haven't watched enough boxing to really have any idea.
Too hard to really rank the guys 20-50th all time which is I guess where I'd have him. Could be higher but I haven't put that much thought into him as in my eyes the way he's built his career disqualifies him from the very pointy end. Shame because he's an amazing talent but it's hard to fault the guy for wanting to get as rich as possible while minimising the hits he takes. Shame he's such a w***er too.

What's unfortunate? Exactly because of the bolded part in your sentence. He will come back and 'pick' the right opponents. He will not go and truly challenge himself and fight the best available opponent, he will pick the right opponent at the right time.
Mayweather is definitely one of the greats but still quite a few guys ahead of him and what separates him from other greats is that he doesn't take big risks inside the ring and his match making outside the ring (which is mainly post his 130-135 days)
Can't argue with that, still rather see him fighting than retired.

All time lists are purely subjective but you will find many that wouldn't even have him in the top 20. Even in the modern era, I don't even know if I would have Mayweather that far ahead of Bernard Hopkins. What Bernard Hopkins has been able to achieve up until the age of 49 years old is absolutely remarkable and goes really underrated in all sports as a whole. I still remember him in 2001 going into his fight with Tito Trinidad as a big underdog at about 35 years old, and experts were saying that father time is approaching and the younger Trinidad will be too strong for the old man. He kept going for almost another 15 years.
That to me is remarkable with his longevity in the sport. He held the record for the most title defenses as a middleweight and in his early 40's jumped up 2 divisions to light heavyweight and became a linear champion up there as well.
Roy Jones Jnr was a better fighter at his best than either Hopkins or Mayweather were at theirs but lacked the longevity of either. Jones was a spent force at 35 (still old for a boxer) whereas the other two were still p4p elite fighters into their late 30's and beyond.

Jones was a freak athletic fighter who was so dominant that he didn't need to obey the fundamentals that Hopkins and Floyd have mastered which is largely why once his speed and reflexes slipped he ceased being the best boxer in the world almost overnight. Still at his best from 1994-2002 he was unbelievable and could do things in the ring that neither Hopkins or Floyd could dream of doing.

Yeah the GGG fight will be entertaining. Lemieux is a huge puncher and the hardest puncher that GGG would have faced, and I think it will be fireworks. He was a promising fighter years ago, but got upset by lesser opposition and got stopped by Rubio. The fight will be entertaining seeing 2 huge punchers but I don't think Lemieux will go past 4 or so rounds.

GGG is a beast and I don't think Lemieux is in his class but it's boxing so who knows? But saying that it would be an upset of Tyson-Douglas proportions if Golovkin was beaten in my eyes.

Personally GGG and Kovalev at Lt Heavy are the two guys who are floating my boat boxing wise at the moment. They are just dominant forces in their respective divisions and are fantastic to watch.

Forgetting Floyd, a little Cuban guy called Guillermo Rigondeaux is probably the most talented fighter in the world of boxing today but he's dull. A defensive freak (better defensively even than Mayweather imo) but only a moderate puncher and conservative in the ring. He's barely lost a minute of a round over his entire pro career (as well as being the best amateur fighter ever) but his style will never appeal to the masses unfortunately.

Gonzalez and Golovkin were both great today.

Gonzalez is so good in close. Gets in your face and defends brilliantly while hitting you very hard and very often. Viloria started pretty well, but Gonzalez's constant pressure was too much for him. Good stoppage.

Everyone posting in here seems to pay more attention to boxing than I do. So, you've all probably seen Gonzalez's last fight. If anyone hasn't, do yourself a favour and watch it. Doesn't go 2 full rounds and is an absolutely masterful performance.

Here it is:

Golovkin fought a very smart fight. Lately he'd been willing to take a few shots from guys because he didn't respect their power. He clearly respected Lemieux's. Early on he was soundly outboxing Lemieux and just kept him at the end of his jab. Lemieux was throwing back but couldn't get close enough to land anything. As the fight went on Golovkin pushed the pace more and more. This gave Lemieux more opportunities and he actually landed a few decent shots, but they didn't seem to affect Golvkin at all. Golovkin was landing more and doing much more damage throughout. I thought this was a good stoppage too.

Noticed people talking up Terence Crawford and I see that he's fighting this weekend. I've watched a bunch of his most recent fights and he's pretty impressive. Really liked his last fight with Dulorme, would have been close on the scorecards after 5 rounds and then in the 6th he landed a lovely combo that was the beginning of the end for Dulorme.

Is the only way to watch his fight this weekend by streaming it?

one of the biggest fights of the year on Sunday! Cotto v Canelo who's everyone got?

Im going for Cotto hopefully by KO
Cotto close decision..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back