The 'Go Home 5' Post-Mortem

Remove this Banner Ad

Leppa was just spot on on Game Day. Move on comrades.
I thought it was an opportunity lost.
They flashed up the news clipping of stats of draft picks lost to the go home factor (not just the recent 5) and could have noted that it is an issue.
Stating that as a club we have to work on retention is a bit obvious, it would have been nice to admit how hard that is (retention) and perhaps mention the difficulties we face. For the coach to not think it's an issue (or give that impression) makes it bloody hard to convince anyone else.

For the coach to not think it's an issue (or give that impression) makes it bloody hard to convince anyone else.

Yep, very disappointing I thought too and a complete lack of awareness on his part to highlight what is a significant issue.

Any AFL bigwig watching that will completely dismiss out of hand that there is even an issue when it is apparent the coach doesn't think there is even when Aish walks next year.

I can understand why that might be seen as a missed opportunity to highlight our problems with player retention. But it is typical Leppa - don't spend too much time worrying about the past, focus on getting things right for the future.
I think we can also assume that there will be plenty being done behind the scenes between club and the AFL that doesn't need to concern the myopic big club w***ers like Eddie.

I can understand why that might be seen as a missed opportunity to highlight our problems with player retention. But it is typical Leppa - don't spend too much time worrying about the past, focus on getting things right for the future.
I think we can also assume that there will be plenty being done behind the scenes between club and the AFL that doesn't need to concern the myopic big club ******s like Eddie.
Except the past is a pattern and the future won't change, just by the club being nicer to recruits. The issue is bigger than that and needs bigger solutions.
I'm not suggesting he needed to get on a soap box or ask for handouts. But yeah, the stats have been presented, so to brush last year aside as 'last year' and think we simply move on by "working on retention" is ignoring both the past and future. It certainly didn't draw anyone's attention when handed the opportunity on a gold platter.

Missed the spot - Leppa too diplomatic?
Almost dismissive.
The question asked was along the lines of "You famously lost 5 young players wanting to go home last year, is that a problem for the club?"
This came after a graphic showing 2 paper clippings; one headlined as the 'Go Home 5' and one on top of that with the stats presented by TLR highlighting us losing so many of our 19 first round picks.
"Gotta remember, the Gabba crowd love watching Taylor running around. Well that's Yeo right there. We got Taylor for Yeo, so while we lose some we get some. It's a shame to lose those good players last year, but we've just gotta work on retention and move on" (Paraphrasing).

Almost dismissive.
The question asked was along the lines of "You famously lost 5 young players wanting to go home last year, is that a problem for the club?"
This came after a graphic showing 2 paper clippings; one headlined as the 'Go Home 5' and one on top of that with the stats presented by TLR highlighting us losing so many of our 19 first round picks.
"Gotta remember, the Gabba crowd love watching Taylor running around. Well that's Yeo right there. We got Taylor for Yeo, so while we lose some we get some. It's a shame to lose those good players last year, but we've just gotta work on retention and move on" (Paraphrasing).

Sounds like it was a deliberate deflection.

I actually get the feeling Leppa wasn't really too bothered by the loss of those guys ... a little bit "you win some you lose some". He's also said a few times that he trusts the AFL system.

I guess the sentiment is that it's ok to have that view privately but maybe when in the spotlight he should complain a little?

I thought it was an opportunity lost.
They flashed up the news clipping of stats of draft picks lost to the go home factor (not just the recent 5) and could have noted that it is an issue.
Stating that as a club we have to work on retention is a bit obvious, it would have been nice to admit how hard that is (retention) and perhaps mention the difficulties we face. For the coach to not think it's an issue (or give that impression) makes it bloody hard to convince anyone else.
Trouble is is that sounds like excuses if you are a coach and as he implied you do what you do with what you have got. Also we know that we rate nothing when the masses would rather talk any club from Melbourne. I was happy with what we got all things considering.

I actually get the feeling Leppa wasn't really too bothered by the loss of those guys ... a little bit "you win some you lose some". He's also said a few times that he trusts the AFL system.

I guess the sentiment is that it's ok to have that view privately but maybe when in the spotlight he should complain a little?
He also said that it was before his time as well.

Lets put it like this. I like the fact that we are making a noise via TLR and hopefully the club do a bit as well but I prefer the club to work behind the scenes to a degree. To highlight it makes as less of a preferable destination maybe.

Any way 4 asterisks any spotty little twerp that does not want to play for us. Brain dead IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He also said that it was before his time as well.

Lets put it like this. I like the fact that we are making a noise via TLR and hopefully the club do a bit as well but I prefer the club to work behind the scenes to a degree. To highlight it makes as less of a preferable destination maybe.

Any way 4 asterisks any spotty little twerp that does not want to play for us. Brain dead IMO.

I guess I can see both sides - bringing attention to it on TV is good for the campaign ... but maybe Leppa doesn't want to be seen as a whinger. Maybe he really believes that with a few additions, he can take this side to the top.

We really did get some good players in the draft last year.

Very much comes across as 'easy come, easy go'.
I don't think he should complain at all for the reason John alludes to;
Trouble is is that sounds like excuses if you are a coach and as he implied you do what you do with what you have got. Also we know that we rate nothing when the masses would rather talk any club from Melbourne. I was happy with what we got all things considering.
Like I said, don't want him on a soapbox, but when asked directly on a programme like that, I really wouldn't mind him just pointing out the difficulties; weak market, few local players, hands behind your back when kids want to leave. Not asking for anything, not making excuses, just pointing out the realities that make things hard.
Basically, the question was asked; "is it an issue" and the answer was "no". That's the abridged version and the thing is, it is an issue. Felt he could have answered in the affirmative, that's all. "Yeah, it is an issue for Brisbane, but you do what you can". Doesn't sound needy or whiny but acknowledges the case put forward by others as having merit.

I'm certain the higher ups (read: Leigh) will have a bit of a word in his ear about it.

We hope.

It reminds me of Leigh Matthews old adage of 'players play, coaches coach and administrators administrate'. I think Leppa should have been prepped to convey a unified message on that front, but it's understandable from a coaching perspective that he is always just going to be able to coach the players that we have.

Just watching the Saints v Blues game. St Kilda make us look like finals material. Kicking efficiency 45%. Reminds me of Billy's parting comment to the effect that he was happy to go to a team that had a real future. Hope you're enjoying life at the bottom Mr Longer.

Just watching the Saints v Blues game. St Kilda make us look like finals material. Kicking efficiency 45%. Reminds me of Billy's parting comment to the effect that he was happy to go to a team that had a real future. Hope you're enjoying life at the bottom Mr Longer.
Did he actually say that?
Poor form if he did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back