The 'Go Home 5' Post-Mortem

Remove this Banner Ad

Did we lose 5 players last year ??

No ... *looks around* ... don't think so ... *counts players on list* ... we seem to have the right number of players ... maybe we misplaced them ... *thinks very hard* ... oh wait didn't we have that fundraising garage sale the end of last year and forgot to specify the players were out of bounds (grins at Doc) ... yeah that's right we got those funny tokens that we traded in for some nice well rounded new merchandise :) Probably a good thing - after all we are happy with our new ones and I am sure that none of their new owners have had even one moment of buyers remorse or a smidgen of wishing they had what we got instead of what they did ... so maybe yes ... or no ... or kind of ... maybe the Taoists could help? :cool:

Last edited:
Lions moving on after youngster exodus

BRISBANE officials still cringe at the term “Go Home Five’’, but they are taking great comfort from the “Stay Here 22’’. The Lions were rocked late last year when Jared Polec (Port Adelaide), Elliot Yeo (West Coast), Sam Docherty (Carlton), Billy Longer (St Kilda) and Patrick Karnezis (Collingwood) left.
The mass departures wiped out the gains of the 2010 and 2011 drafts. Now the one-time AFL empire is striking back.

Since the start of last season, the Lions have re-signed 20 players, including the critical core of Pearce Hanley, Daniel Rich, Matthew Leuenberger, Tom Rockliff, Sam Mayes and Jack Redden. The number grew to 22 this week with promising first-year players Lewis Taylor and Darcy Gardiner extending their first-up deals. Countless hours have been spent rebuilding the Lions culture and credibility. Increased resources for the football department, including the welfare and development area, have been put to good use. Brisbane received a glut of draft picks when they traded for the “Go Home Five’’.

Interesting comments on Clayton and Roos in that article. It is my understanding that up until recently Tyler Roos hadn't heard boo from the Lions.

Interesting comments on Clayton and Roos in that article. It is my understanding that up until recently Tyler Roos hadn't heard boo from the Lions.
I think for a long time the assumption would be he'd opt for Sydney academy selection if he proved draftable.

I think for a long time the assumption would be he'd opt for Sydney academy selection if he proved draftable.
Didn't he forego that as soon as he moved to Melbourne?

Didn't he forego that as soon as he moved to Melbourne?

Yes, I'm saying that would explain why they hadn't put much time into him up until the last year or so. As for the most recent year or so, that's a separate question.

... this thread needs to be closed imo because we are over them, they are gone and most important of all....we don't miss them at all.

If we keep taking about them, it give credence to their supposed value to us and their lose.

We haven't lost, we have gained..

..onwards and upwards without looking back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... this thread needs to be closed imo because we are over them, they are gone and most important of all....we don't miss them at all.

If we keep taking about them, it give credence to their supposed value to us and their lose.

We haven't lost, we have gained..

..onwards and upwards without looking back.

If we close it, chances are the same posts being made on here gnashing teeth at how they're doing at their new clubs will be made on other threads instead. This is nice and easy to avoid for people who don't want to read it.

As many of us said, the real test for Polec was going to come when he was eventually required to get his hands dirty instead of merely running one way and chipscabbing it on the outside.

And right on cue, soon as Port started to do it tough, Jared has gone missing. Copped a massive amount of s**t from Port fans on the main board when I made this prediction, now they're rapidly losing faith themselves.

Serious question, who here would trade Darcy Gardiner for Polec now?

As many of us said, the real test for Polec was going to come when he was eventually required to get his hands dirty instead of merely running one way and chipscabbing it on the outside.

And right on cue, soon as Port started to do it tough, Jared has gone missing. Copped a massive amount of s**t from Port fans on the main board when I made this prediction, now they're rapidly losing faith themselves.

Serious question, who here would trade Darcy Gardiner for Polec now?
I think Polec is 21, iirc, so he still has some learning to do. I still think he will be a quality player for the Port fans. When he does play well, he is silky and delivers it extremely well into the f50.
I wouldn't trade Gardiner for him tho.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back