Religion The God Question (continued in Part 2 - link in last post)

god or advanced entity?

• god

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • advanced entity

Votes: 21 60.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he stood in front of a mirror there would be a suit with no one in it reflected back Dracula style - but hey he's a committed Christian so they must not discriminate against the souless
i thought he looked like MArty Monster

images
marty-bmx.jpg

oh for the love of Flying Spaghetti Monster!

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/disclaimer/

DISCLAIMER
World News Daily Report is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within worldnewsdailyreport.com are fiction, and presumably fake news. Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental, except for all references to politicians and/or celebrities, in which case they are based on real people, but still based almost entirely in fiction.

onward christian Mindless drones soldiers

The amount of people that fall for fake news websites astounds me

people believed a man walked on water and turned water into wine

they believe what they want to believe

did u mean to quote me or the creationist?

why do any of us bother answering anything in here? well for me it's mostly fun.

well i don't think any have come true, but i was giving mr creationist a chance to wow us.
Just surprised you wasted characters on response to the creationist.

I'm happy for anyone to provide an example, any example, of anything in the bible ever coming to fruition after it was fabricated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've sort of just had an epiphany. Why is it that christians; particularly those in america within the republican party and tea party DON'T support universal health care. Interestingly whenever I see these people on tv, they're middle to upper class citizens.

Didn't Jesus teach us the value of sharing and compassion?

Matthew 19:24?

How can these people even believe to know and practice the word of god if they can't even hold true to their values. Interestingly I worked with a guy who fits this mold perfectly.

I've sort of just had an epiphany. Why is it that christians; particularly those in america within the republican party and tea party DON'T support universal health care. Interestingly whenever I see these people on tv, they're middle to upper class citizens.

How can these people even believe to know and practice the word of god if they can't even hold true to their values. Interestingly I worked with a guy who fits this mold perfectly.

you should know by now they only follow the not crazy passages.

People tend not to follow what their religion tells them. What they do is twist and re-interpret thousand-year old stories to make them say what they want them to.

That's why there are plenty of perfectly reasonable religious people around - because when you get right down to it, most people are reasonable irrespective of Orders From The Sky Fairies.

Jesus taught that you should be generous to the poor. He never said that you should support the government stealing from working people to give to the poor.

That is the literal interpretation of the bible that most Christians follow. And you will certainly find that Christians in America are by a massive margin the largest donors to charity.

He never said that you should support the government stealing from working people to give to the poor.
He didn't say don't do it either.

And "stealing" . . . really?

That is the literal interpretation of the bible that most Christians follow. And you will certainly find that Christians in America are by a massive margin the largest donors to charity.
Hardly any Christians follow a literal interpretation of the bible least of all American Christians.

The majority of charities registered in the US were created for tax purposes. I'd question the "Christian" motive in that.

Actually, Robbie Gray has a point.
In my experience the religion of a person and their political ideals are very much interconnected.
For instance, as you noted, the people who support the republican and tea party are from the middle to upper class. You will most likely find that they attend a church full of like minded people from the middle to upper class.
I have found that those in the christian church that are big proponents of what is called "The Prosperity Gospel" are from the middle to upper class and they are often politically to the right.

Interestingly, those who view the prosperity gospel as a distortion of the gospel are very often more to the left. They find Jesus' teachings on wealth and poverty and the treatment of the poor are antithetical to the prosperity gospel. All people tend to view things through the lense of their underlying ideology.

Try reading the book of Luke and note the teaching on wealth and poverty and the relationship between the rich and the poor/outcasts. This theme begins with the Magnificant with it's theme of the reversal of fortunes of the rich/poor and is programmatic for that gospel.

For instance:

20 Looking at his disciples, he said:

“Blessed are you who are poor,
for yours is the kingdom of God.

21 Blessed are you who hunger now,
for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now,
for you will laugh.
22 Blessed are you when people hate you,
when they exclude you and insult you
and reject your name as evil,
because of the Son of Man.

23 “Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets.

24 “But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort.
25 Woe to you who are well fed now,
for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now,
for you will mourn and weep.

Luke 6:20-25

The Rich and the Kingdom of God
18 A certain ruler asked him, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

19 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. 20 You know the commandments: ‘You shall not commit adultery, you shall not murder, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.’”

21 “All these I have kept since I was a boy,” he said.

22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

23 When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was very wealthy. 24 Jesus looked at him and said, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God! 25 Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

26 Those who heard this asked, “Who then can be saved?”

27 Jesus replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”

28 Peter said to him, “We have left all we had to follow you!”

29 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus said to them, “no one who has left home or wife or brothers or sisters or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God 30 will fail to receive many times as much in this age, and in the age to come eternal life.”

The Rich Man and Lazarus
19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

This is just a random selection of texts that show the reversal of fortunes of the rich and poor worked out in the gospel of Luke.

Both the prophets of the Tanakh and the New Testament writers teach that the rich have a responsibility to look after the poor.

James Ch.2:5-7
Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? But you have dishonored the poor man. Is it not the rich who oppress you and personally drag you into court? Do they not blaspheme the fair name by which you have been called?…

James 2;14-16
What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and be filled," and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that?…

Again, for James, a religion that ignores the plight of the poor is not really a true faith. For James, a true faith is expressed in works. James uses the example of caring for the poor as an example of a working faith.

Last edited:
Jesus taught that you should be generous to the poor. He never said that you should support the government stealing from working people to give to the poor.

then explain paraphrase 2:37?
"and the lord sayith render unto Caesar mother*er"

He didn't say don't do it either.

The bible says that the path to heaven is generosity. There is no generosity involved in being forced to give someone money. The whole point was that you had to do it of your own free will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back