Religion The God Question (continued in Part 2 - link in last post)

god or advanced entity?

• god

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • advanced entity

Votes: 21 60.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright lads, I'm slowly but surely progressing through the Bible.

A few things that have caught my attention:

- If God created man in his image, was God black?

- I love that God created the heavens, the earth, the seas, the birds, etc. and then the cheeky campaigner just has a snooze on day seven. It made his character very relatable because I too like to relax after a long week.

- Wow God really gave snakes the rough end of the stick.

- Why didn't God just create snakes to not be sneaky?

- Adam had everything going for him until Eve came and ruined it with her snake gossip.

- Why does everyone live to like... 800 years old here? Also, why do some only live to 100? Why does no one make a big deal that these human beings were living to nearly 1000 years old? (Well done to Methuselah, by the way. 969 years old is a fine effort).

- If God knew exactly how many 'cubits' he wanted the arc, where he wanted the windows placed and everything, he should have just built the bloody thing himself.

- What the * is 'gopherwood'?

You're really hurting my feelings now. I hope your god doesn't think you've been naughty. No eternal afterlife for you.

Oh you're such a tease.

Some people are going to think you can't match it with the big boys and don't have anything intelligent to say, but not me, not ol JungleMuffin. I bet you're typing up an epic 5000 word post that will win this thread outright, but you're just holding back to build the suspense.

I can picture the headlines now "Echols proves that the world is older than 5000 years old, that it's impossible to make a female out of spare ribs, and snakes can't ******* talk".

Shits gonna break the internet, you'll be touring with Dawkins in no time.

(Well done to Methuselah, by the way. 969 years old is a fine effort).

I Disagree, 1000 was on the cards. Biggest choke since Bradman.

I heard her corner is protesting and they're know doing a countback. Apparantly someone forgot to include the days in a leap year.

I Disagree, 1000 was on the cards. Biggest choke since Bradman.

I heard her corner is protesting and they're know doing a countback. Apparantly someone forgot to include the days in a leap year.

Is it ever explained why he lived so long?

Oh you're such a tease.

Some people are going to think you can't match it with the big boys and don't have anything intelligent to say, but not me, not ol JungleMuffin. I bet you're typing up an epic 5000 word post that will win this thread outright, but you're just holding back to build the suspense.

I can picture the headlines now "Echols proves that the world is older than 5000 years old, that it's impossible to make a female out of spare ribs, and snakes can't ******* talk".

Shits gonna break the internet, you'll be touring with Dawkins in no time.
You sure do like to carry on.

- I love that God created the heavens, the earth, the seas, the birds, etc. and then the cheeky campaigner just has a snooze on day seven. It made his character very relatable because I too like to relax after a long week.

- Adam had everything going for him until Eve came and ruined it with her snake gossip.

- Why does everyone live to like... 800 years old here? Also, why do some only live to 100? Why does no one make a big deal that these human beings were living to nearly 1000 years old? (Well done to Methuselah, by the way. 969 years old is a fine effort).

- If God knew exactly how many 'cubits' he wanted the arc, where he wanted the windows placed and everything, he should have just built the bloody thing himself.

- What the **** is 'gopherwood'?

Bible comedy. .. You are very clever you know.

Why does everyone live to like... 800 years old here? Also, why do some only live to 100? Why does no one make a big deal that these human beings were living to nearly 1000 years old? (Well done to Methuselah, by the way. 969 years old is a fine effort.

Adam and Eve were created perfect. They would've lived forever if they didn't sin. The reason the people at the start of human history lived as long as they did is because they weren't far removed from mankind's initial perfect state.

Adam and Eve were created perfect. They would've lived forever if they didn't sin. The reason the people at the start of human history lived as long as they did is because they weren't far removed from mankind's initial perfect state.

You'd think having to dodge all those dinosaurs would have brought the averages down. Or were we faster runners back then?

You'd think having to dodge all those dinosaurs would have brought the averages down. Or were we faster runners back then?

Given Jesus' lineage, as shown in the bible, which points to the human race being 6000-odd years old since Eve, dinosaurs weren't a factor in the average age of mankind coming down to its present level. The dinosaurs were gone before humans were created.

Genesis 6:3 says: Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.” (Read the surrounding context to understand why God eventually put such a limit of mankind's lifespan.)

depends what god considers the start of man, he may look more like an orangutan rather than modern man

sadly as you will discover later god doesn't actually give people the day off you have to worship him all day and if you don't, even if there's no indication you belong to this tribe of israelites or believe in this god, if don't worship on the sabbath they will stone you to death.

more importantly why didn't god place the dangerous thing away from people who were by definition ignorant? i mean if i have kid i don't want my toddler drinking battery acid so i keep it in the shed locked rather them on the coffee table and tell them not to drink it.

well its sort of comeuppance, one of the things left out of the bible was that according to the hebrew text's eve was adam's second wife, lilith was his first, but she refused to be submissive to him and so god cursed her to give birth to demons and s**t like a hundred times a day.

this is one of those issues that emerge with extremely different theological concepts. much of christian doctrines simply did not exist. no heaven no hell when you died you went to the underworld the end. the concept of death to the israelites was that it showed mans moving away from god. as such the more removed from god people were then their lifespan declines. thus the "hero's" of the old testament live longer due to their close relationship with god.

the math has been done, it doesn't work this is a parable. plus its borrowed from the story of gilgamesh.

- What the **** is 'gopherwood'?

biblical answer we don't know.
correct answer looking at the linguistics and analysing the hebrew texts this is a mistranslation. the correct translation is likely cypress, this is ignored by idiots who cannot comprehend that the flood story is not meant to be taken literally and so they claim a whole bunch of wacked out bullshit. welcome to the issue's surrounding translating a once dead language into greek, then into latin then into old english, By people with a limited understanding of language in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://au.news.yahoo.com/technolog...ed-universe-may-have-had-no-beginning/?cmp=fb

Edit: I also don't understand Atheists using a literal interpretation of the Bible to support their stance. Again, it's just a ******* strawman, why waste your own ******* time with that bullshit? If you're going to patronise someone, why not do it in a way that doesn't make you look just as idiotic?

Same thing with the vengeful god thing. Why does being god mean you have to be mr ******* nice guy? Death is a part of life, since when does everything have to be ******* sunshine and lollipops, otherwse no god?

Last edited:
I'd probably use the word sanctity instead of mystery, which I think is an important distinction, as the original statement implies a concerted effort to restrict knowledge, as opposed to general conservitism.

Say of the churches what you will, and rightly so, but I think it's unfair to imply that they are adverse to enlightenment, given that they were/are an integral part of it.

Whilst trying to tear the walls down, people tend to forget the foundation that religions were built on.
Next you will claiming the church is a major proponent of science.
They were dragged screaming and kicking to the enlightenment.
It would be more accurate to say the church begrudgingly survived the enlightenment.
This bullshit revisionist trait among the religious apologists is no less transparent than glass.
Outright bullshit which has been dragged out as often as required since science forced their god into the infinitesimally, minuscule moments after the big bang.
A desperate con to attempt to stay relevant.
Pathetic crap.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/technolog...ed-universe-may-have-had-no-beginning/?cmp=fb

Edit: I also don't understand Atheists using a literal interpretation of the Bible to support their stance. Again, it's just a ******* strawman, why waste your own ******* time with that bullshit? If you're going to patronise someone, why not do it in a way that doesn't make you look just as idiotic?

Same thing with the vengeful god thing. Why does being god mean you have to be mr ******* nice guy? Death is a part of life, since when does everything have to be ******* sunshine and lollipops, otherwse no god?
Death is a part of natural life.
Explain why God would even have contemplate such an event.
Why create the imperfect?

Next you will claiming the church is a major proponent of science.
They were dragged screaming and kicking to the enlightenment.
It would be more accurate to say the church begrudgingly survived the enlightenment.
This bullshit revisionist trait among the religious apologists is no less transparent than glass.
Outright bullshit which has been dragged out as often as required since science forced their god into the infinitesimally, minuscule moments after the big bang.
A desperate con to attempt to stay relevant.
Pathetic crap.

Who do you think gave birth to science? Who do you think the first scientists were? Where do you think universities came from? Science was born from the search for god. That evolved at some point (arguable, semantics), but to discount the contribution religion had in the growth of science is ignorant.

And religious apologist? You don't have to be a religious apologist to understand things aren't black and white. How can I be a religious apologist when I essentially disapprove of religion, seriously?

The irony of holier than though, close minded Atheists towards believers, is delicious. You're just as ******* bad as the Biblicists.

Death is a part of natural life.
Explain why God would even have contemplate such an event.
Why create the imperfect?

How is any of that even ******* relevant to argument? As I said, why does a concept of god have to include being a top ******* bloke? Why can't he (for simplicities sake) kill off people if he feels like it? Why is someone getting their head chopped off by a ******* terrorist a supporting argument against god/gods etc? Why is creating something imperfect deemed not worthy of a gods time? Why does god have to be a man on a ******* cloud? Why can't god be the laws of nature?

Because the Bible says so? That sounds pretty ******* familiar...

I just don't understand why god or the concept of god has to adhere to an arbitrary definition.

What have you got against the proposition that the universe has no begining? Most religious people believe God has an infinite past. What's the difference?

Just cut out the middle man. Occams Razor.

Nothing at all, can't I post a link that may be relevant to the conversation?

What have you got against the proposition that the universe has no begining? Most religious people believe God has an infinite past. What's the difference?

Just cut out the middle man. Occams Razor.

No difference
The only way you are going to have something that has no beginning is to have a God or two involved.

No difference
The only way you are going to have something that has no beginning is to have a God or two involved.
I don't see why there has to be a God. And if you posit a God it still hasnt ecxplained anything as you still have to explain what gave rise to God.

Why can't all things just arise out of an eternal 'process'? Most Eastern philosophy doesnt subscribe to a God. For example, the first stanza of the Taoist foundational text goes like this:

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
The named is the mother of myriad things

Where Tao means something like "way", "process" or "dynamic".

The Buddhists have a similar view that everything arises interdependently from a "pregnant void".

You could call that process or dynamic God I suppose but to then personify it seems a little silly.

I don't see why there has to be a God. And if you posit a God it still hasnt ecxplained anything as you still have to explain what gave rise to God.

Why can't all things just arise out of an eternal 'process'? Most Eastern philosophy doesnt subscribe to a God. For example, the first stanza of the Taoist foundational text goes like this:

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
The named is the mother of myriad things

Where Tao means something like "way", "process" or "dynamic".

The Buddhists have a similar view that everything arises interdependently from a "pregnant void".

You could call that process or dynamic God I suppose but to then personify it seems a little silly.

The good thing about God is that you don't have worry about what gave rise to it. Higher power beyond our comprehension etc.

The good thing about God is that you don't have worry about what gave rise to it. Higher power beyond our comprehension etc.
I suppose that is a fair enough position.

But the problem arises when the priests, chaplins and imams don't say it is beyond our comprehension but instead claim they know what this God wants. ie not to covet your neighbours ass, or masturbate or that you must wage war on infidels etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back