Religion The God Question (continued in Part 2 - link in last post)

god or advanced entity?

• god

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • advanced entity

Votes: 21 60.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry you got abused by a terrible, terrible movement based on extremely poor theology.
It's extremely common in mega churches and the Pentecostal movement where people chase after
Feel good experience rather than chasing a relationship with God.

The problem is they are just following the example that is set by the biblical god. Use fear to get what u want. Manipulation is ok as long as it is for the greater good.

It is a pity that you have refrained from posting on this topic. I must admit that I didn't see the last two paragraphs coming whilst reading about your abuse as a child. Most enlightening and entertaining.

I find talking a lot easier than writing if that makes sense.

The people I feel for the most are my half brother and half sister who are great people but had to grow up dealing with the s**t every day. Sadly they still believe.

The problem is they are just following the example that is set by the biblical god. Use fear to get what u want. Manipulation is ok as long as it is for the greater good.

No they aren't, and THAT is what the problem is. Manipulation is never ok, but some people are just horrible.

No they aren't, and THAT is what the problem is. Manipulation is never ok, but some people are just horrible.

That is your opinion which is fine but my opinion is that by the use of heaven and hell the god you are following is using manipulation and fear to get you to follow him.

That is your opinion which is fine but my opinion is that by the use of heaven and hell the god you are following is using manipulation and fear to get you to follow him.

It's not opinion though, it is just theology 101.

I think u may have missed my point but ok.

Not at all. If you don't have a solid understanding of things, your opinions will be skewed" same as in every aspect of life.

Not at all. If you don't have a solid understanding of things, your opinions will be skewed" same as in every aspect of life.

And how many people do u think there are that have a solid understanding of things? How many people would have an understanding and interpretation of the bible like you?

And how many people do u think there are that have a solid understanding of things? How many people would have an understanding and interpretation of the bible like you?

Well, that's why it's good to ask questions. In fact, question the answers that you are given too! I had a major bad experience with the church as a teen. I realised I was putting more stock in the people than on the God I was meant to follow. If there really is one universal truth, it is that people will let you down!

Spartanwa's problem is that he thinks he has an understanding of a text, and he thinks that the natural corollary of that is certain knowledge. In fact, he has no understanding of the nature of the mutability of texts. Like many of his ilk, he tries to set his being in an aspic of unchangeable times and immutable ideas. So much is missed in this futile, life-denying pursuit. Despite this, I tend to admire his persistence, but not very much.

I find talking a lot easier than writing if that makes sense.
In the extremely rare instances where I apparently write moderately adequately, I've been told it's because I can occasionally write as I might speak. This is almost never a bad thing. I think it a habit worth developing, if you can, given what you have to say/write. Some call this your 'voice' in writing.

Last edited:
Spartanwa's problem is that he thinks he has an understanding of a text, and he thinks that the natural corollary of that is certain knowledge. In fact, he has no understanding of the nature of the mutability of texts. Like many of his ilk, he tries to set his being in an aspic of unchangeable times and immutable ideas. So much is missed in this futile, life-denying pursuit. Despite this, I tend to admire his persistence, but not very much.

Unfortunately, you are so off the mark it would be humorous were it not so sad.

Please though, continue to explain to me about myself. It's intriguing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was never a believer, which probably came from my parents, who had given up their religion on adulthood. However, when I was around 8 they decided to send my brothers and I to an after school bible group, because they thought it best we had some exposure to it. After a couple of sessions my parents were told not bother taking me there again because I had no interest and spent the whole time being disruptive.
Shunned by God.
How did that make you feel?;)

For this to be effective there would have to be a presumption of a sentient receptor.

Ah yes, ignorance masquerading as intelligence yet dripping with arrogance.
Been to the Echols school, have we?

In the extremely rare instances where I apparently write moderately adequately, I've been told it's because I can occasionally write as I might speak. This is almost never a bad thing. I think it a habit worth developing, if you can, given what you have to say/write. Some call this your 'voice' in writing.

I can't type as fast as I can talk so loose track and it ends up taking to long. Going to try post more often though.

Ah yes, ignorance masquerading as intelligence yet dripping with arrogance.
Been to the Echols school, have we?
This is pathetic, but not unexpected. You're not very good at copping it as you give, are you? When you choose to place yourself in contradistinction to me, I have much about which to be arrogant.

This is pathetic, but not unexpected. You're not very good at copping it as you give, are you? When you choose to place yourself in contradistinction to me, I have much about which to be arrogant.

I'm not 'giving' anything aside from perspectives to questions asked.
Your typical response however is attack the person, not the argument.

Haha classy
Is this conversation not going the way you might have hoped? My suggestion for you would be to attack my allegedly unfair debating tactics, according to the rule of the omniscient spartanwa. BTW, are you from West Australia?

Is this conversation not going the way you might have hoped? My suggestion for you would be to attack my allegedly unfair debating tactics, according to the rule of the omniscient spartanwa. BTW, are you from West Australia?

Hmm, you seem slightly bothered by something.
And yes, if you just check my location....

perhaps another question could be asked - how do you feel about your former religion?
For me, I am angry, really angry.

I am angry that people in positions of authority lied to me, I am angry that people who I looked up to me mislead me and made me feel guilty about so many small things, I am angry that I cried myself to sleep at night, genuinely believing my older brother would burn in hell for eternity for no other reason than he was not a believer, I am likewise angry at the same tears my friends shed. I could go on...

Sounds like pretty severe relationship with religion/faith.

Were your parents fundies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back