Analysis The Good, the Bad and the Fugly Vs Shemantle round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

I hardly see any leading or chasing, except from the genuine forwards (Lecca + JK). Eagles have the ball? Stand still next to my opponent and watch the player with the ball kick it backwards or sidewards (or a next-to player handball which then gets tackled).

Opponent has the ball? Don't run at them, look at them while they kick it directly to another opponent.

I know we were playing a flag contender but god all I wanted to see was effort.

What has happened to our once mightily club? The purples have beat us the last 6 times and 15 out of the last 19. I would ask, who would be proud that we out scored them in the last 3 quarters with a shocking record like that?

So ******* sick of the mediocre s**t we are served for far to ******* long. Didn't even waste my time watching the game today.

...and * you Ross you smug *

Bottom line: Fremantle have superior players, superior coaches and a superior gameplan. Outside the lack of height in defense, we lost clearances 44 to 26 with most of ours coming in junk time. Basically we need three new inside midfielders who can actually win the ball because right now we don't have a single one who can compete with the best. We were spoiled for years with Judd and Kerr - who were never replaced.
Yeah that's pretty much it. We have talked about this for years now really. We have gotten nowhere. Until we get some elite mids we won't be any chance at a flag.

+
josh hill chased Stephan hill at one stage,got there just as he kicked,bloody good chase tho.he kept trying throughout the match
McGovern still standing tall
the last half.we kept plugging away,it got real ugly early on
_
we didn't draft to cover our deficiencies-speed and skill
constantly missing the target by foot
the first half,mostly the first quarter-total shell shock,no leg speed,no skill
That chase was even better than you realise when you look at it from behind the goals, our hill came in at a solid angle too.

Positives:
- Nelson, the kid is something we lack in spades: talented and hungry for the contest. Going to be a keeper.
- Sheed, coming along very well and fought all day.
- LeCras and Kennedy - worked tirelessly despite utter dreck being served up from the midfield.
- Wellingham and Hill both came good as the game went on - it shows effort if not anything else.
- Gov - we love you. That is all.

Negatives:
- Masten shirks contact constantly. It's embarrassing.
- Priddis was nowhere to be seen, despite the stat sheet.
- I feel like I'll watch Shuey's whole career waiting for him to stand up in a clutch game, only for it never to happen.
- Lycett is down on confidence. I'm failing him as a sponsor clearly :(
- McGinnity, Butler, Rosa - all three of you are completely done.

Quadruple likes, plus add Sheppard to negatives.

Went to 2 East Perth games when I was in WA recently and was very pleased with the efforts by Hill in both matches. He worked hard off the ball, tackled hard and pitched in with a couple of goals in each match. The ground he covered was immense and his field kicking a class above WAFL.

He earn't his recall and carried that form into days match.

His inclusion wasn't a popular choice but if he can maintain this attack on the ball and the ball carrier he will hold his place all year.

Yeah agreed Hill scored 2 goals, took a couple of contested marks including one in the goal square which he hadnballed to Lecras.

The chase was good also.

He stays.
Was also very good in that game for EP a couple of weeks ago as well.

I think our forwardline is not a big worry, though need our half forwards to lead to the ball when we win the clearance, considering how often our midfielders just bomb it to the same spot blindly.

Yes, Hill one of the few who treated that game as an opportunity rather than a spanking.

Masten worst for me, turned the ball over (directly or by putting a teammate under pressure) so many times you'd think he was playing for Freo. Done this three games in a row now and I'd swap him with Colledge next week.

How long until we can début Waterman?

Simpson saying yeo would be running through the midfield more if not for our back line deficiencies in his presser is good to hear. Simpson was composed and didn't really offer any excuses, basically admitted our midfield was s**t today which was also good.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure about Simpson long term but I'm glad he is not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

He is likely to make deliberate changes to the midfield which are not rash and kneejerk.

The moment we see Masten or Priddis or mcginnity in the outs would be a massive moment.

Priddis and Rosa need to retire end of season. Just do the right thing by the club.

Masten and Gaff to start being dropped when they deserve it.

Must draft 100% midfielders again this year with one KPD later on in the draft.

If we make minimal changes to the list at the end of the year I say storm the club HQ and demand answers

It was good to see Yeo in the midfield. Especially at centre bounce, he looked good and we won a few clearances with him in there.

Priddis was bad. Horrendously bad. He's just so slow and got absolutely burned on the spread from the clearances. Can we please phase him out already.

If McGovern is injured then that's ugly. Very very ugly.

Good: I went out motorbike riding, so I missed most of the game

Bad: The bit I saw was ******* disgraceful, and to make it worse it probably changes nothing. We got our ass handed to us by an elite side and the club will spin it to make it seem like everything alright, W can only travel so far up s**t creek without a paddle.

When Josh Hill is one of your best players in terms of applying defensive pressure, you know you'll be struggling.

Fair play to him though for showing a bit when most others wilted. Hopefully he backs it up against Brisbane.

I think Kennedy should be played at CHF if we use 2 ruckmen.
I think Kennedy should played at FF, CHF, Back pocket, playing one of those funky tall on ball roles that Roughead plays, on the wing, tagger, defensive forward and sub.... If only we could do that :(

Priddis and Rosa need to retire end of season. Just do the right thing by the club.

Masten and Gaff to start being dropped when they deserve it.

Must draft 100% midfielders again this year with one KPD later on in the draft.

If we make minimal changes to the list at the end of the year I say storm the club HQ and demand answers

Gaff is fine, if we drop Masten and possibly Rosa then he can play more outside and he's at least capable there. He's had poor moments this season but I think a big part of that is that he's playing more contested than he ever has.

Sheed has had a few good moments but honestly still more poor ones, nevertheless I think he'll be much better by year's end if he plays every game and I wouldn't drop him.

Really I feel like the biggest issue is that our players aren't all playing the same game. Some players honestly look like they expected to have a desk job and are annoyed that they have to stand outside in the sun, let alone run. Masten is the worst offender so far, he plays footy like I played tennis at the age of 8 when I refused to move around and just swung blindly at the ball if it came nearby.

you are still drunk

A bit, but I've been saying it for a while now. What's the point of playing a second ruckman if they only have a job to do when they are on the ball? Sticking them in a forward pocket and congesting our forwardline is a waste. Get Kennedy to CHF and let NN and Lycett play a proper full forward role.

Another positive is that personnel wasn't a problem. I know this because I just watched Simpson's pc.

The lack of talent is one thing, but don't lack talent and effort at the same time.

Today the main culprits were Masten, Priddis, Lycett, Sheppard, NN, Shuey, Gaff and a handful of others who simply failed at bringing the proper tempo when the game was hot.

Fremantle were fantastic in the first quarter, but there were several moments where players were in a position to effect a big smother or tackle but didn't make enough of an attempt.

Simpson surely has to get them first getting the basics right- pressure, block, work as a team.

The rest was s**t. Mcginnity, Rosa, wellingham, priddis, shephard, masten all poor, slow, s**t disposal, s**t decision making. Drop all of them.

Harsh on Wellingham was miles better than the rest of those named and one of our better players (ok that's not saying much)

Do we have enough fit players to replace them all?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back