Analysis The Good, the Bad and the Fugly Vs Shemantle round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Positive: it only ended up being 5 goals. It was looking like it was 100+ at qtr time.

Josh hill looked pretty good, I thought. For his reputation of being a downhill skier, he was one that at least say he broke even.
As could Wellingham. He didn't look bad either. Almost coughed up a goal in the 2nd with a bad turnover, but he had to run around 3 players in d50, and got no support. Where was everyone else?

Nelson. Kid will be a player. Love his attack on the ball, especially as a 3rd gamer.

Negatives: it was only 30 points. We needed a torch run through our effort. Injuries suck, but you can't blame your teammates injuries when you don't give 100%. It's almost as if we expected to lose in that 1st qtr.

Freo's 1st qtr goals. How annoying was the bounce? There seemed to be a magnet drawing their kicks through.

Apparently a lot of the players feel like Simpson keeps contradicting himself every 3-4 weeks. They're confused about his game plan and their roles.

It's becoming more and more clear he's not up for the task.

If no changes are made the MC is either stupid, ignorant or arrogant.

Out.
Mcgovern.
We are just having terrible luck with tall defenders.

Mcginnity.
Seriously what was he doing i have no idea why he is playing.

Butler.
Don't let that 93% DE get in your head. He gets scored against and provides no run from the back line.

In
Mcinness
College
Bennell

I can't wait to see Priddis and Masten omitted. But it will be a long time for that to happen they are untouchable. Priddis just showed again how useless he is at defending on the spread. And Masten is soft, don't give me that "he is a good kick inside 50" or "he has good endurance" crap because. All good midfielders can deliver inside 50 it is not an amazing ability and after a few preseasons on the track a lot of players can develop a good tank.

Negatives:
- I feel like I'll watch Shuey's whole career waiting for him to stand up in a clutch game, only for it never to happen.

I remember the nightmare Shuey had in the 2011 QF against Collingwood. I (and most others) cut him some slack since it was his first final and figured with more development he'd be a star performer in big games. Still waiting almost 4 years on.

So just the one change this week?
As long as that change is
In: Effort
Out: whatever that 1st quarter was.
Then really, the changes don't matter so much.

I feel a bit for the guys. We obviously got caught on the hop, freo really wanted to make a statement. We were damned after qtr time if we played ok; damned if we gave up and lost by 100+. At least we ended well and gave us some momentum into next week.

At least we got more minutes into nelson & Duggan.

Also, if we win next week.. It will be a pretty good effort, even if Brisbane haven't won yet. They have a midfield of beams/rich/Rockliff (who magically gets better for this week full well knowing he's not going to have a rough game)/Christensen & Zorko. That's a pretty decent midfield. we will have to turn around things very quickly.

Apparently a lot of the players feel like Simpson keeps contradicting himself every 3-4 weeks. They're confused about his game plan and their roles.

tabasco-sauce-bomb-small-85594.jpg

?

Just watched the first quarter back again to see where we went wrong. Picked out some key moments that cost us the early goals.

#1 - McGovern (Was caught out of position by Zac Clarke, who ran around the pack and took an easy grab)
#2 - McGovern (Got sucked into a good piece of bodywork by Taberner. Taberner pulled up short and waiting for the body contact to push him into the path of the ball. In McGovern's defence it actually shouldn't have been paid a mark.)
#3 - Naitanui (Tapped it directly to the opposition players, nowhere near a teammate)
#4 - Naitanui (Tapped the ball to himself and attempted to go for the clearance. Got tackled and pulled the kick, ball went straight into Freo's hands.)
#5 - Wellingham (Had the ball in our 50, along with 2 teammates around him to shepherd and decided to have a crack for goal, instead of passing to Hurn who has 10m on Barlow. Hurn had to run forward to prevent Freo taking an uncontested grab in the forward line. Free rebounded and scored a goal easily as we were caught out of position)
#6 - Shuey (Received a handpass in the back 50 from Masten and failed to either handpass the ball quickly or get his hands free and was tackled, dropped the ball and allowed Mayne to capitalise. Also to blame - Butler & Sheed who did not put the shepherd on for Shuey.)
#7 - Wellingham (Ran past his direct opponent in Neale at the boundary throw-in, Neale took the clearance, ran to 55 and kicked a goal)
#8 - ??? (Unsure of whether it was a coaching issue or a player issue, but Hill was left all by himself out the back of the stoppage. Once the ball cleared, he ran straight down the corridor and waited for the handpass from his teammate. Ran to 50 and kicked a goal.)
#9 - Rosa & Shuey (Rosa's tackle on Fyfe at the stoppage didn't stick and was shaken off too easily. Neale came past all on his own, received the handpass and scored from 50. Shuey was 5m behind him.)

I'd recommend for everyone to have another watch if they can, really changed my perception of how the game played out. We looked in control for the first 10 minutes, before a couple unfortunate goals came through McGovern's inexperience. From there we started to get dominated in the midfield, especially due to some silly tapwork from Naitanui. Once those 4 goals were gone, all hell broke loose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the nightmare Shuey had in the 2011 QF against Collingwood. I (and most others) cut him some slack since it was his first final and figured with more development he'd be a star performer in big games. Still waiting almost 4 years on.

I was at that game. Despite his errors, you were like "well they were mistakes that came from too much eagerness on his part". I'd like that eagnerness to return, frankly.

Just watched the first quarter back again to see where we went wrong. Picked out some key moments that cost us the early goals.

#1 - McGovern (Was caught out of position by Zac Clarke, who ran around the pack and took an easy grab)
#2 - McGovern (Got sucked into a good piece of bodywork by Taberner. Taberner pulled up short and waiting for the body contact to push him into the path of the ball. In McGovern's defence it actually shouldn't have been paid a mark.)
#3 - Naitanui (Tapped it directly to the opposition players, nowhere near a teammate)
#4 - Naitanui (Tapped the ball to himself and attempted to go for the clearance. Got tackled and pulled the kick, ball went straight into Freo's hands.)
#5 - Wellingham (Had the ball in our 50, along with 2 teammates around him to shepherd and decided to have a crack for goal, instead of passing to Hurn who has 10m on Barlow. Hurn had to run forward to prevent Freo taking an uncontested grab in the forward line. Free rebounded and scored a goal easily as we were caught out of position)
#6 - Shuey (Received a handpass in the back 50 from Masten and failed to either handpass the ball quickly or get his hands free and was tackled, dropped the ball and allowed Mayne to capitalise. Also to blame - Butler & Sheed who did not put the shepherd on for Shuey.)
#7 - Wellingham (Ran past his direct opponent in Neale at the boundary throw-in, Neale took the clearance, ran to 55 and kicked a goal)
#8 - ??? (Unsure of whether it was a coaching issue or a player issue, but Hill was left all by himself out the back of the stoppage. Once the ball cleared, he ran straight down the corridor and waited for the handpass from his teammate. Ran to 50 and kicked a goal.)
#9 - Rosa & Shuey (Rosa's tackle on Fyfe at the stoppage didn't stick and was shaken off too easily. Neale came past all on his own, received the handpass and scored from 50. Shuey was 5m behind him.)

I'd recommend for everyone to have another watch if they can, really changed my perception of how the game played out. We looked in control for the first 10 minutes, before a couple unfortunate goals came through McGovern's inexperience. From there we started to get dominated in the midfield, especially due to some silly tapwork from Naitanui. Once those 4 goals were gone, all hell broke loose.
Plus it was a 4 goal breeze that 1st qtr really needed to win that toss

I know that Naitanui was deficient in other areas of his game but his ruckwork on the weekend was as good as I recall him ever playing against Sandilands.
Sure, our midfielders were so bad we didn't utilize it until the last quarter and a half but in the ruck contests alone I was reasonably happy with how Naitanui went.
While on subject of Nic Nat , he seemed to be going up 1 handed in marking contests and off to the side of the packs . I wonder if he is injured or scared of injuring

I don't think it's becoming clear that Simpson is not up for the task at all.

I think it is becoming clear that our players are dumb as * and are incapable of comprehending even the simplest concepts, like "get the football" for instance.

I don't think it's becoming clear that Simpson is not up for the task at all.

I think it is becoming clear that our players are dumb as **** and are incapable of comprehending even the simplest concepts, like "get the football" for instance.

Sadly this appears to be it. I think you can see what Simpson is trying...the problem is the cattle he is trying to implement it with...and remember although he may sit on the match committee it is a committee and a few other blokes help make those poor team choices that we complain about. He might be a lone dissenter against some of them and have to sit back and accept.

Sadly this appears to be it. I think you can see what Simpson is trying...the problem is the cattle he is trying to implement it with...and remember although he may sit on the match committee it is a committee and a few other blokes help make those poor team choices that we complain about. He might be a lone dissenter against some of them and have to sit back and accept.

Gepp to Nisbett to Gepp.....;)

They aren't the only ones. I'm also confused about the game plan and player roles. Mostly when we don't have possession. As Dodger stated not all is transparent at the club. I'm a little concerned at his slight excuse making at press conference and then saying "that's not an excuse"

The jury is still out but he has definitely not had the instant impact that Hinkley and beveridge have had. I have a bad feeling Simmo's fate will end similar to that of Ken Judge

They aren't the only ones. I'm also confused about the game plan and player roles. Mostly when we don't have possession. As Dodger stated not all is transparent at the club. I'm a little concerned at his slight excuse making at press conference and then saying "that's not an excuse"

The jury is still out but he has definitely not had the instant impact that Hinkley and beveridge have had. I have a bad feeling Simmo's fate will end similar to that of Ken Judge
Beveridge has coached a total of 3 AFL games, one of which ended in a 70-point loss. At least wait some time before proclaiming him as a messiah or even a better coach than Simpson. How was Simpson's record after his first 3 games?

Beveridge has coached a total of 3 AFL games, one of which ended in a 70-point loss. At least wait some time before proclaiming him as a messiah or even a better coach than Simpson. How was Simpson's record after his first 3 games?
Don't know where messiah came from but anyway the term "instant" in most people's mind generally refers to something occurring quickly. My point is after Hinkley and Beveridge took on head coaching roles. It was clear after one pre season and yes a few games into the season that the players are responding very quickly to the coach.

Eagle87 - Are you able to elaborate much on this? Is Simpson likely to have much say on the match committee or is he being seriously hamstrung by Nisbett? Not sure how much you can say here.

Not sure the dynamics. But I am sure that Gepp is very much Nisbetts man.

Woosh got rid of him; Nisbett brought him back. He's always had a weird role at the club but IMO he's a net negative. I just think he and Nissie need to be pensioned off and we need a fresh direction. But Nisbett has been there longer than anyone, he's tough to shift ...

I doubt Nisbett has much direct involvement in team selection.

Don't know where messiah came from but anyway the term "instant" in most people's mind generally refers to something occurring quickly. My point is after Hinkley and Beveridge took on head coaching roles. It was clear after one pre season and yes a few games into the season that the players are responding very quickly to the coach.
WC won all their pre season games and the first 3 games of the season last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back