Analysis The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Vs St Kilda round 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives:
I finally got to seat on the eagles side of the stadium and first floor.
The fact we haven't dropped off after our shock win against Port.

Negatives:
That 2nd quarter.

'Ugly'
Yeo's accidental hit. It look much worse at the game than it did on the replay.
Remember when we used to s**t ourselves regarding our 3rd quarters under Woosh? Maybe its our second quarters under Simmo! :p

I think Cam McCarthy might get it this week.
The kid is averaging 2.6 goals a game.
His consistent form and another 4 goals this week might see him get the nod.
All depends on what stats they like, SC or AF. Stats do not drive the nomination but 4 goals for a KPF are pretty hard to argue against. Liam has been up there a couple of times prior as has Cam so will be a toss of the coin.

upload_2015-5-24_4-16-10.png

So did Foote for you guys. Elite today
LOL Lots of Saints whining about the umpires.
giphy.gif

I'm sure WC have never been on the end of shitty umpiring.:p

All depends on what stats they like, SC or AF. Stats do not drive the nomination but 4 goals for a KPF are pretty hard to argue against. Liam has been up there a couple of times prior as has Cam so will be a toss of the coin.

View attachment 137228
It would be nice if they took in account he tagged montagna out of the game in the 3rd, But will be hard to beat 4 goals from McCarthy

My 2c:

- I thought for large parts of the game we were terrible, so to play like that and still win comfortably is a positive sign.
- Sinclair getting better and better, but **** me if he doesn't get in the way a lot and take balls that aren't his. I swear I've seen him take marks JK had sewn up on multiple occasions the last few weeks. Still, I like that he gives everything and is improving, and I'm curious to see how far he can go.

My 2c:

- I thought for large parts of the game we were terrible, so to play like that and still win comfortably is a positive sign.
- Sinclair getting better and better, but **** me if he doesn't get in the way a lot and take balls that aren't his. I swear I've seen him take marks JK had sewn up on multiple occasions the last few weeks. Still, I like that he gives everything and is improving, and I'm curious to see how far he can go.
Yeah, good points on Sinks. Really liking him ATM

We did as far as Nicnat's ruckwork was concerned. Apart from a few of those lucky frees, i didn't really even notice the umps.
The nicnat ones were pretty ordinary but there seems to be some sort of focus by the umps on ruckman jumping into their opponent rather than at the ball this weekend

On replay I thought the saints player (weller?) was a little stiff to be called holding the ball from the jk tackle - should have been playon imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The nicnat ones were pretty ordinary but there seems to be some sort of focus by the umps on ruckman jumping into their opponent rather than at the ball this weekend

On replay I thought the saints player (weller?) was a little stiff to be called holding the ball from the jk tackle - should have been playon imo
I'm happy with the benefit of the doubt going to the tackler on that one, player was clearly blindsided and took several steps.

Actually thought they were there.
Longer clearly looked like he just wanted to impede Naitanui's jump at the ball and was actually shepherding him away from the drop of the ball.

No doubt we had the rub of the green as far as the umpiring was concerned

There was a reason for that. They had the smaller team and kept trying to scrag us - hoping the umpires would 'square it up'. It didn't work.

Couldn't hear the commentary after the first quarter (thankfully) - what the **** did that campaigner say about the jumper
It was a tongue in cheek comment in response to Basil joking that the Hill was doing a good job in the jumper Watson would've worn at West Coast (when we drafted him)

What about the several contested possessions Duggan has turned into clearances to advantage over the course of the season?

Let's not pretend Duggan has played entirely outside thus far. He's shown on a few occasions a desire to weigh up the contest and make the best decision for the situation. Hence we have been so excited about him.

The assumption that there is only one appropriate course of action when the ball is in dispute - quickly booting it forward as far as possible - is probably the kind of philosophy our unsuccessful midfield had been built upon over the past 7 years.

FWIW Selwood was great defensively, like always, his smothering and tackling was first rate. But blind clearances aren't something to cheer about these days - they often lead to turnovers which lead to goals

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the Dugg and have definitely noticed his contested work. It's more that as a rookie, he isn't being given as much defensive attention as our other mids which is no doubt helping his cause, ala first-year Gaff (and no doubt that won't be the case for long given he's already showing how damaging he can be).

I agree that Selwood can't keep on just blindly snapping it out of the middle but he's shown before that he's capable of better clearance work - I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt for his first quarter and half of footy in six weeks. It would probably take a bit of time to readjust to the pace of the game.

Sheppard out-muscling a bigger bodied opponent has become something of a highlight for me in recent weeks.
This week he beat Bruce hands down in two marking contests.

His body positioning is very good against bigger opponents. He's a smart footballer Shep, and having an underrated year i feel.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the Dugg and have definitely noticed his contested work. It's more that as a rookie, he isn't being given as much defensive attention as our other mids which is no doubt helping his cause, ala first-year Gaff (and no doubt that won't be the case for long given he's already showing how damaging he can be).

I agree that Selwood can't keep on just blindly snapping it out of the middle but he's shown before that he's capable of better clearance work - I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt for his first quarter and half of footy in six weeks. It would probably take a bit of time to readjust to the pace of the game.
i would much prefer him to get the ball, and knock it forward, then lose the contest. We are far better at keeping the ball in so does give us a chance to reset I50.

I did notice a couple of times when he did the blind kick forward, that he did look for the handball first. Bit like you, he's better than that usually so give him a week or so to get used to the pace of the game again.

Must be very tough as the sub to come in after such a layoff. He'll be much better for the run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back