Big Willie
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life WCE Wings Guernsey
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
i would much prefer him to get the ball, and knock it forward, than lose the contest. We are far better at keeping the ball in so does give us a chance to reset I50.
It doesn't have to be one or the other. Also EFA

There were many, many games last year where we dominated clearances thanks to NN but each of those 'clearances' were kicks straight to JK who had 3 defenders on him.

Case in point, the Richmond game. We should have won that but we just kept on 'knocking it forward' straight to their defenders.

It got predictable, and teams started setting up a spare man behind the ball expecting us to win the ruck contest and kick it straight to them. Then they'd stream forward on the counter attack.

Sure, if our forwards can force those hacked kicks into stoppages, then that's fine, I guess (though it allows their defence to flood back), but it will be taxing on them.

Ultimately we needed to be able to handle that physical pressure better in tight, and set up better around the contest so that we can withstand the tackles and eventually work the ball out and spread toward the corridor. Much higher percentage play having a runner in the corridor compared with a rushed kick from a stoppage IMO.

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
It doesn't have to be one or the other. Also EFA

There were many, many games last year where we dominated clearances thanks to NN but each of those 'clearances' were kicks straight to JK who had 3 defenders on him.

Case in point, the Richmond game. We should have won that but we just kept on 'knocking it forward' straight to their defenders.

It got predictable, and teams started setting up a spare man behind the ball expecting us to win the ruck contest and kick it straight to them. Then they'd stream forward on the counter attack.

Sure, if our forwards can force those hacked kicks into stoppages, then that's fine, I guess (though it allows their defence to flood back), but it will be taxing on them.

Ultimately we needed to be able to handle that physical pressure better in tight, and set up better around the contest so that we can withstand the tackles and eventually work the ball out and spread toward the corridor. Much higher percentage play having a runner in the corridor compared with a rushed kick from a stoppage IMO.
I did notice he did look on several occasions he did look for the runner who wasn't there, so kicked it forward. So the intent was there, at least to use the spread to get it to our better users.

Just to clarify, I'm talking specifically from the centre clearances. From the stoppages, the blind kick can kill us on the rebound.

First game back, so will be better for the run. From what has been said, Selwood had lost a lot of confidence in his ankle- so I hope he got through ok.

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I'm pissed at the flog Watson.
Too often the media decide the close calls for the MRP before the end of the round.
MRP sleep on it and go into work monday and make fools of themselves.

Yeo hit the bloke in a contest. Wasn't late, with no malice or intent for anything other than the ball.

If he gets a week it sends the message that beside not being allowed to bump (see Steven May decision) you can no longer spoil a marking contest because if the player gets injured you go for it.

Expect a fine but with *silly people like Tim Watson and the MRP lottery you never know.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Oh don't get me wrong, I love the Dugg and have definitely noticed his contested work. It's more that as a rookie, he isn't being given as much defensive attention as our other mids which is no doubt helping his cause, ala first-year Gaff (and no doubt that won't be the case for long given he's already showing how damaging he can be).

I agree that Selwood can't keep on just blindly snapping it out of the middle but he's shown before that he's capable of better clearance work - I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt for his first quarter and half of footy in six weeks. It would probably take a bit of time to readjust to the pace of the game.

the only contested blind clearance snap by Selwood from the middle resulted in a goal to wce ,

Selwood snaps McInnes takes mark, handballs to Hill who kicks a goal from 50 m out .

SpaceClef

Big Willie
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I did notice he did look on several occasions he did look for the runner who wasn't there, so kicked it forward. So the intent was there, at least to use the spread to get it to our better users.

Just to clarify, I'm talking specifically from the centre clearances. From the stoppages, the blind kick can kill us on the rebound.

First game back, so will be better for the run. From what has been said, Selwood had lost a lot of confidence in his ankle- so I hope he got through ok.
Yeah agreed. Centre bounces aren't such an issue. Will be interesting to track his progress throughout the year.

SpaceClef

Big Willie
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
the only contested blind clearance snap by Selwood from the middle resulted in a goal to wce ,

Selwood snaps McInnes takes mark, handballs to Hill who kicks a goal from 50 m out .
What about when we play a side with actual KPDs?

By that stage Webster and Fisher were out of the game - St Kilda's only tall defenders were Roberton (194 cm) and Dempster (191 cm).

Sometimes it will work, but better defensive sides will more often than not neutralise it/counter. It's not such a big issue in a centre bounce after a goal because our forward line will be more open, but in general play it can be a risk especially when sides flood back.

jakethebear

Team Captain
Aug 10, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Scorchers
Does anyone remember at which point in the game a Saints player ducked/dropped the knees as Shuey went in for the tackle, but Shuey managed to not get him high? i think he may have pulled one arm out of the tackle and held it up so umpires could see it wasn't high.

Does anyone remember at which point in the game a Saints player ducked/dropped the knees as Shuey went in for the tackle, but Shuey managed to not get him high? i think he may have pulled one arm out of the tackle and held it up so umpires could see it wasn't high.
Was in the second quarter I think. Armpit age pushed his head into shueys chest as he ran over the boundary line. Was well played by shuey

Dugg

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep that was armitage. Shuey did very well in that situation not be drawn in for the free kick.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

I recall this.

I also like when players get annoyed after Shuey gets a high free kick. It seems like they're sick of him always getting them but they're not upset at themselves for not being extra careful with Shuey around. Same story with out prominent free kick winners like Joel Selwood.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
My 2c:

- I thought for large parts of the game we were terrible, so to play like that and still win comfortably is a positive sign.
- Sinclair getting better and better, but **** me if he doesn't get in the way a lot and take balls that aren't his. I swear I've seen him take marks JK had sewn up on multiple occasions the last few weeks. Still, I like that he gives everything and is improving, and I'm curious to see how far he can go.
Sinclair has little appreciation of who else is around him. Hopefully he starts to settle down and gain confidence as you do not want his mitts spoiling Kennedy and Darling.

If we have him in defence against Geelong, he is likely to be spoiling our high marking Governator!!!:mad:

Oxirane

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
AncientOnlyDegu.gif

IncompatibleTotalHomalocephale.gif

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Mcinnes has won himself another contract I think.Probably would have got 1 regardless of form as he was our only KPF back up.
Sinclair playing well.Looks ungainly but can be effective.Lucky he is around with lycett not stepping up like everyone predicted
The whole forward line is awesome.From JK to Hill to Cripps.If Naitanui was an aerial threat it would be amazing.Yeo adding so much there as well.Imagine when darling and possibly McGovern are there as well next season

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Hoping Lycett takes his game up a level and has a breakout season like Cripps, Yeo, Duggan etc. are having as that is where our success is coming from.

Would make our current team so much better with Lycett gunning it.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
What about when we play a side with actual KPDs?

By that stage Webster and Fisher were out of the game - St Kilda's only tall defenders were Roberton (194 cm) and Dempster (191 cm).

Sometimes it will work, but better defensive sides will more often than not neutralise it/counter. It's not such a big issue in a centre bounce after a goal because our forward line will be more open, but in general play it can be a risk especially when sides flood back.

I`m sure the improvement we`ve seen from other players and the team will also apply to Scotty especially if hes responsible for any turnovers I thought in close he was willing to handball to a better option and was tough in close with tackling and strong body contact .I think he only made one split second bad decision when he could have handballed to Lecras who is a better shot on goal but instead he took the shot and kicked a behind.

Back