The Grand Final should be hosted at a neutral venue

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn left its state to play games 9 times in 2015, so not much different.

You have to agree the WA teams get screwed on travel, Hawks came to Adelaide twice not Perth. But there is no getting around this, the NRL travel to new Zealand. There is getting around not giving one team an advantage in the most important game of the year though or having them earn the right to an advantage!

The last 3 finals, an MCG tenant vs a non MCG tenant has resulted in 3 comfortable wins to the team that has played at the MCG the most. That is not equalisation.

The Tasmanian team stepped up on the day!

This thread stinks of typical SA and WA inferiority complex vs Vic...
It stinks alright but not of inferiority complex, I personally think WA and SA bat well above average in all sports with our lower populations. Look at our cricket and basketball teams but I can tell you this..the travel arrangements are alot fairer in those sports and the teams get to play their GF's at their home grounds in a best of series.

This thread stinks of typical SA and WA inferiority complex vs Vic...

If the AFL want expansion to capture the whole Australian population things will change, if they dont keep everything out of Vic to within reason. Im betting on them wanting to expand, it will not belong before there are more teams out of victoria or relocated, where to who knows, Canberra, Hobart, Newcastle, Woolongong, Sunshine Coast all have larger populations than Geelong, why would they want to grow the sport. Once the commision is voted upon by a non majority from one state, you would be silly to think change wont occur.

You have to agree the WA teams get screwed on travel, Hawks came to Adelaide twice not Perth. But there is no getting around this, the NRL travel to new Zealand. There is getting around not giving one team an advantage in the most important game of the year though or having them earn the right to an advantage!

Hawthorn traveled twice to Perth in 4 weeks of finals which people were saying was impossible and still got the chocolates, at the end of the day the best team wins no matter where they are from, where was all this conversation when Brisbane won three in a row

It stinks alright but not of inferiority complex, I personally think WA and SA bat well above average in all sports with our lower populations. Look at our cricket and basketball teams but I can tell you this..the travel arrangements are alot fairer in those sports and the teams get to play their GF's at their home grounds in a best of series.
Vfl/Afl has been this way for over 100 years if you don't like it go support the 36ers !!

Im betting on them wanting to expand

Im betting they have done nothing BUT expand since 1987. ITs not all about teams and grand finals you know.

it will not belong before there are more teams out of victoria or relocated, where to who knows, Canberra, Hobart, Newcastle, Woolongong, Sunshine Coast all have larger populations than Geelong, why would they want to grow the sport.

Name one of those teams thats 40 minutes drive or train ride from the largest Australian football city in the country. Geelong is not in the same category. Further Canberra and Hobart already receive a considerable AFL presence.

Once the commision is voted upon by a non majority from one state, you would be silly to think change wont occur.

You'd be silly to think that change will just happen for the hell of it.

Im betting they have done nothing BUT expand since 1987. ITs not all about teams and grand finals you know.

Name one of those teams thats 40 minutes drive or train ride from the largest Australian football city in the country. Geelong is not in the same category. Further Canberra and Hobart already receive a considerable AFL presence.

You'd be silly to think that change will just happen for the hell of it.

Why would I think that when we both know over 50% of Australias population is in QLD and NSW and our rugby freinds have the market share, do you think the AFL wants that or be happy to play 2nd fiddle if not 3rd behind soccer! If it was my business and had surplus cash flow you would be trying to think ways of continual expansion, yes they have 4 teams supporting this enormous population where as there are 10 teams supporting 25% of the Australian Population, do you see the discrepency? So do you think they would be expanding for the hell of it?

The GF is at the MCG for 2 reasons:

1. It always has been and there are contracts in place etc.
2. It's the largest stadium in the country by a considerable margin.

If the GF was to be moved to a 'netural venue' for whatever reason it would be like the UEFA Champion's League. The host stadium would be decided at the beginning of the season. This idea that surfaces each year that if say it's a WC/Freo GF that during GF week the game could be moved to Perth or Adelaide or anywhere else is just ridiculous.

The GF is at the MCG for 2 reasons:

1. It always has been and there are contracts in place etc.
2. It's the largest stadium in the country by a considerable margin.

If the GF was to be moved to a 'netural venue' for whatever reason it would be like the UEFA Champion's League. The host stadium would be decided at the beginning of the season. This idea that surfaces each year that if say it's a WC/Freo GF that during GF week the game could be moved to Perth or Adelaide or anywhere else is just ridiculous.

How does the NFL work considering the AFL like copying them?

As we are seeing the game is changing and will continue to, so we wont need support anyone else!
Yeah the game is changing and has changed a lot even in the last 20 years but I still can't see why all of a sudden the grand final needs to change venues. I know for a fact how good the new Adelaide oval is but c'mon mate .. It's not the MCG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would I think that when we both know over 50% of Australias population is in QLD and NSW and our rugby freinds have the market share, do you think the AFL wants that or be happy to play 2nd fiddle if not 3rd behind soccer! If it was my business and had surplus cash flow you would be trying to think ways of continual expansion, yes they have 4 teams supporting this enormous population where as there are 10 teams supporting 25% of the Australian Population, do you see the discrepency? So do you think they would be expanding for the hell of it?

Growing the game is not about the number of teams. Growth of the game is more than just the AFL -as the tens of millions spent growing the actual game in Queensland and NSW attests. And its far more than just holding a grand final. There might be ten teams supporting 25% of the population, but that 25% has more support for AFL football than the other 75% of the population put together.

The only alternative venue I'd accept as the permanent GF home would be the Adelaide Oval, but the capacity would have to be extended even further.

MCG for the foreseeable future.

Growing the game is not about the number of teams. Growth of the game is more than just the AFL -as the tens of millions spent growing the actual game in Queensland and NSW attests. And its far more than just holding a grand final. There might be ten teams supporting 25% of the population, but that 25% has more support for AFL football than the other 75% of the population put together.

Yes that 25% has more support than the 50% not the 75% I believe if you looked at the support of WA and SA it would be equivelant if not more than Victoria, but hard to determine. But that potential 50% is of far more importance than the 25% due to the enormous TV ratings which are hanging out there, so maybe more games in those states will attract more fans maybe it wont, that would need more teams but sitting around thinking about how to get that 50% of the population hooked on AFL isnt going to acheive it. Or the AFL might say its too hard, but I doubt it.

Then you need State Government support if more teams are required along with development of the sport with either infrastructure or deverlopment, Im sure that will come with conditions on what they receive in return, after all they are spending the NSW or QLD taxpayers money and need to return something to them, GF's more teams whatever will be a condition.

Otherwise we could stay status quo!

Make the mcg only available for the grand final then no-one gets a home ground advantage. There are definitely some sides that benefit from it hugely throughout the year

Non Vics don't seem to get that the MCG already IS a neutral venue for GF's. 90% of the people that don't have guaranteed tickets are neutrals, any discussion on stadium dimensions affecting gameplay is purely speculative, and to be blunt if your gameplan doesn't work on a GF stage then it can't be very good anyway, what would ever be the point of a gameplan that only works 100% at one stadium? Does that work in any league ever?

The game is not big enough and almost certainly never will be for an NFL style rotating venue, the only reason they do so is because they have a dozen billion dollar stadiums lying around. Besides the PL (their schedule doesn't allow it), the English FA schedule the big games at Wembley too, internationals and FA cup finals. Everton didn't bitch about neutral ground when Chelsea beat them at Wembley, twice.

Despite Hawthorn's recent dominance interstate sides are STILL more successful against Victorian teams on GF day, that is inarguable and has a very large sample size by now. I don't care about getting rid of tradition as long as there is good reason to do so, but there isn't one.

Non Vics don't seem to get that the MCG already IS a neutral venue for GF's. 90% of the people that don't have guaranteed tickets are neutrals, any discussion on stadium dimensions affecting gameplay is purely speculative, and to be blunt if your gameplan doesn't work on a GF stage then it can't be very good anyway, what would ever be the point of a gameplan that only works 100% at one stadium? Does that work in any league ever?

The game is not big enough and almost certainly never will be for an NFL style rotating venue, the only reason they do so is because they have a dozen billion dollar stadiums lying around. Besides the PL (their schedule doesn't allow it), the English FA schedule the big games at Wembley too, internationals and FA cup finals. Everton didn't bitch about neutral ground when Chelsea beat them at Wembley, twice.

Despite Hawthorn's recent dominance interstate sides are STILL more successful against Victorian teams on GF day, that is inarguable and has a very large sample size by now. I don't care about getting rid of tradition as long as there is good reason to do so, but there isn't one.

Why cant each particular state bid for the GF, Adelaide are having a NFL game here Melbourne and Sydney have both had International Soccer, let the State Governments decide how much they will bid for the right to have the event, Im sure each state will save up and make one huge bid over a 10 year period.

Why cant each particular state bid for the GF, Adelaide are having a NFL game here Melbourne and Sydney have both had International Soccer, let the State Governments decide how much they will bid for the right to have the event, Im sure each state will save up and make one huge bid over a 10 year period.

I think that is possible once existing contract is finished but even in 25-30 years I still think the MCG will be the premier stadium in the country and I think the vast majority no matter where they are from like the GF at the G.
It's a great stadium, Melbourne is a great place to visit, it ticks all the boxes except the pricing but that is an airline issue and an AFL issue that they will never change. That a visitor simply can't buy a ticket to the game is a disgrace, they are all wrapped up in stupid packages which is just a fancy word for scalping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back