The graveyard thread for endless off topic posturing on persons causing bi-polar responses

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the third quarter of that prelim was more damning than our misses. Let them have control for far too long and the coaching box responded way too late.
Nah, first quarter was the kicker, failed to convert our dominance in play to the scoreboard. Hawks down 3 or 4 at quarter time and they'd have had to react, instead of being able to set the tone the next two quarters.

What always seemed to be glossed over is his crucial miss against Hawthorn which would have won us the prelim. Sure it was a a toughish shot, but that was his chance to etch himself in Port Adelaide folklore and he simply blew it. There are a 100 moments in any football match that decide it I realise, but that clutch moment was for him to take. It could have turned around his fortunes and it could have won us a premiership. He didn't take it.
I think Sydney had our measure last year and that this year was the one to make a gf, if WC hadn't suffered from massive stage fright they would've won the other day.
I reckon we could've taken it from outside the top 4 if we had snuck in and got Freo at home along the way.

I think Sydney had our measure last year and that this year was the one to make a gf, if WC hadn't suffered from massive stage fright they would've won the other day.
I reckon we could've taken it from outside the top 4 if we had snuck in and got Freo at home along the way.

I really didn't think the Eagles had a hope against the Hawks at the MCG

Pls stop comparing Mitchell to Logan as a role model. Logan was courageous almost to a fault. Mitchell may run hard which is nice but he's also squibbed numerous contests during his time on our list. The only thing which you could call him a 'role model' in is running hard, but we already have plenty of other hard runners on the list, and Darren Burgess should be all the motivation our players need to run hard anyway.

The more I think about us retaining him as a rookie, the more pointless it seems. He's old, he's soft, he only plays one role which is a role in which we have plenty of depth, and he's nowhere near AFL quality. He might be a great bloke, but that's a tie-breaker at most, it's not a reason to keep a guy on the list who otherwise has no business being there. I really wish we'd just quickly pull the bandaid off.

Pls stop comparing Mitchell to Logan as a role model. Logan was courageous almost to a fault. Mitchell may run hard which is nice but he's also squibbed numerous contests during his time on our list. The only thing which you could call him a 'role model' in is running hard, but we already have plenty of other hard runners on the list, and Darren Burgess should be all the motivation our players need to run hard anyway.

The more I think about us retaining him as a rookie, the more pointless it seems. He's old, he's soft, he only plays one role which is a role in which we have plenty of depth, and he's nowhere near AFL quality. He might be a great bloke, but that's a tie-breaker at most, it's not a reason to keep a guy on the list who otherwise has no business being there. I really wish we'd just quickly pull the bandaid off.
lol you are a hard man, i pretty much agree although 25 ain't old

Don't disagree really, but do you think we are better off with another Sam Russell on our rookie list or Kane Mitchell?

You can be a good role model without having a suicidal attack on the ball. You could see in the SF against Centrals how much he cared about the game, the club, the finals campaign, his team-mates. Mitchell is Port Adelaide thru and thru, and that's the kind of football culture you want in your club.

You can be a good role model without having a suicidal attack on the ball. You could see in the SF against Centrals how much he cared about the game, the club, the finals campaign, his team-mates. Mitchell is Port Adelaide thru and thru, and that's the kind of football culture you want in your club.
I really don't want to join the lynch mob but Mitchell was woeful in that final against centrals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's old, he's soft

Kane Mitchell isn't soft. Bloody hell, the lynching of the bloke in this thread is way overboard.

Thank God somebody said it.

And calling him old at 25 is just plain ******* stupid. By that brilliant logic most of our team should be retired and we were foolish to trade for Ryder and Dixon.

If you are going to crucify somebody, at least try to back it up with something factual, or even sensical.

Last edited:
He doesn't always go hard but at the same time I wouldn't call him soft. I think he made more of an effort this year because I remember him being involved in a few collisions, probably something the coaches highlighted for him to improve.

I just want to add my unpopular opinion:

He's not even that valuable to the Magpies.

Racks up the touches but has played some stinkers, including every final and every game against Norwood. Can't compete against the AFL sized players and contested gameplans.

His outside run probably suits the WAFL better.

Thank God somebody said it.

And calling him old at 25 is just plain ******* stupid. By that brilliant logic most of our team should be retired and we were foolish to trade for Ryder and Dixon.

If you are going to crucify somebody, at least try to back it up with something factual, or even sensical.

Fair enough, lynching is stupid anytime, but at least lynching requires some physical and mental effort. Bad English is far easier, which is why so much ****ing **** is written on the Internetz. To some people "old" just means "I expect you the Reader to magically understand that I think this particular clown is too old to be likely to improve in his role". And even if that's a justifiable opinion on the balance of probabilities, it's still just effing sloppy.

If the suggestion is to replace Mitchell on the main list with someone similarly cheap and of similar age profile, slightly slower, slightly taller who can kick significantly straighter, well that idea deserves a decent hearing, and all the bits of the previous statement should hopefully be pulled to pieces by our list management team.

Here's a challenge for you. Find 26 yo (He turns 26 this Dec) with only 30 games experience (He has 31 IIRC) on any other lists. You are correct, 26 yo is not old. 26yo with only 31 games exp on the rookie list is a rarity itself. He's had his opportunity. I'd rather a rookie list full of potential KP players or 18-19 yo genuine mids rather than a 26yo midget that has had an opportunity and unfortunately hasnt been able to take it.

If we have so many injuries that Kane Mitchell needs to be called upon we can kiss goodbye 2016.

It's such a typically narrow minded AFL mentality that a 25 year old can't improve. Get players in as teenagers, give them 50-100 games and then cut them if they aren't good enough by their early 20s. Mitchell was drafted mature age and has only had 3 years and 30 odd games as a professional. There is absolutely no reason why he doesn't have improvement left in his game.

It's such a typically narrow minded AFL mentality that a 25 year old can't improve. Get players in as teenagers, give them 50-100 games and then cut them if they aren't good enough by their early 20s. Mitchell was drafted mature age and has only had 3 years and 30 odd games as a professional. There is absolutely no reason why he doesn't have improvement left in his game.

Lol....its not about whether a 25yo (he is 26 in a month or so's time) has improvement in him. It's how whether his improvement, in a list management sense, will help us achieve a premiership.

Can you see him improving enough to force out Gray, Boak, Hartlett, Wines, Polec, Wingard, Broadbent, White from our staring mid rotations?

Can you see him developing further than Ah Chee, Impey, S Gray, Amon, Neade, Young, Toumpas, Krak?

He is 26 next year. When do you see him developing into a serviceable player for us. Not through injury, but through development of his game. Its not going to improve due to his body getting healthy (injury prone player) and its not going to improve due to fitness improvement (he is already one of if not the fittest guy on our list). As I said earlier, if we need to call on Mitchell next year due to injury it means our 16 is shot because there will need to be so many injuries for Mitchell to jump over our younger developing mids.

So do we continue to give a guy the opportunities to develop with the hope that by the time he is what 27? 28? 29? a serviceable player. Or do we cut our losses and look to give our youth more opportunities to develop their careers? Its a no brainer for me.

Lol....its not about whether a 25yo (he is 26 in a month or so's time) has improvement in him. It's how whether his improvement, in a list management sense, will help us achieve a premiership.

Can you see him improving enough to force out Gray, Boak, Hartlett, Wines, Polec, Wingard, Broadbent, White from our staring mid rotations?

Can you see him developing further than Ah Chee, Impey, S Gray, Amon, Neade, Young, Toumpas, Krak?

He is 26 next year. When do you see him developing into a serviceable player for us. Not through injury, but through development of his game. Its not going to improve due to his body getting healthy (injury prone player) and its not going to improve due to fitness improvement (he is already one of if not the fittest guy on our list). As I said earlier, if we need to call on Mitchell next year due to injury it means our 16 is shot because there will need to be so many injuries for Mitchell to jump over our younger developing mids.

So do we continue to give a guy the opportunities to develop with the hope that by the time he is what 27? 28? 29? a serviceable player. Or do we cut our losses and look to give our youth more opportunities to develop their careers? Its a no brainer for me.

Where he fits compared to others on the list is now a moot point - he's been delisted and is likely to be re-rookied meaning he is seen as no more than a depth player at best.

I've got no problem with the fact that he was cut from the main list, our list is very strong and competition for spots is fierce. I just don't really like seeing him spoken about on this board as being some kind of lame duck no hoper when in fact he's a young guy who has worked hard to improve himself and the team for a number of years and has produced some decent football at times too.

Do I see him improving to best 22 level? Unlikely, but I would have said the same about S.Gray and Ah Chee 6 months ago. Player stocks can rise and fall very quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back