Toast The Great Broom of Twenty Fourteen

Remove this Banner Ad

The Great Broom of Twenty Fourteen

You wanted change? Well you got it!

THE BROOM: The boys club has finally been dismantled at West Lakes. We have grown up as a club and made some hard, but good decisions some thought would never occur. It's interesting - I remember back during the Game Day thread after the vs Sydney game in round three, there were meltdowns, arguments and tempers in that thread; there was common theme: we all wanted change. At the time, it felt like it was never going to happen and the 'boys club' would live to see another day. I am glad we were wrong.

We know there are changes still to be made, such as List Manager and perhaps more football department changes. I will update the OP as changes occur. Are there any announced changes I have missed?

-In terms of our appointments, how happy are you with them?
-Have we appointed better people than the ones who have left?
-Are you feeling better about the club culture and direction now compared to the end of RD3 '14?
-What changes should still to be made (in your opinion)?
-Are there any of the "OUTS" you think we should have kept on? (and why)
-Where do you think the inspiration came from for all the sudden change?

OUT:
Steven Trigg
Brenton Sanderson
Mark Bickley
Paddy Steinford

Players:
Luke Thompson
Jared Petrenko
Lewis Johnston
Shaun McKernan
Alex Spina
Angus Graham
James Battersby

IN:
Phil Walsh (head coach)
Andrew Fagan (CEO)
Mark Ricciuto (broom operator and general badassery)
Darren Glass (Part-time development)
Ryan O’Keefe (midfield development coach)
David Teague (forward coach)

Players:
Luke Lowden
Kyle Cheney
Jake Lever
Harrison Wigg
Mitch McGovern
Harry Dear

I realise there have been individual threads discussing all of the incoming and outgoing personnel, however, I thought the 'Great Broom of 2014' deserved its own thread to look back on in years to come. This is the dawning of a new era for us and these changes could be the foundation of our future success.

Last edited:

dani_manheim-broom.jpg

OUT:
Steven Trigg
Brenton Sanderson
Mark Bickley

Players:
Luke Thompson
Jared Patrenko
Lewis Johnston
Shaun McKernan
Alex Spina
Angus Graham
James Battersby

The cleanout of the AFC has a feeling reminiscent of 96 about it when the Crows took a big and at the time risky broom on our "stars".

Out of all those that were removed, it is only Battersby that I wished we gave him another year. With that said, the Club obviously knows far better than any of us and would know his strengths and limitations and probably felt that he didnt have the capacity to play AFL.

I hope Pets and Smack do well at another club if they are drafted, I have a soft spot for both. As for LJ, he had his chances and in fairness he did ok when he tried, like the Showdown 2 in 2013, but I guess he couldnt sustain that.

The Great Broom of Twenty Fourteen

You wanted change? Well you got it!

THE BROOM: The boys club has finally been dismantled at West Lakes. We have grown up as a club and made some hard, but good decisions some thought would never occur. It's interesting - I remember back during the Game Day thread after the vs Sydney game in round three, there were meltdowns, arguments and tempers in that thread; there was common theme: we all wanted change. At the time, it felt like it was never going to happen and the 'boys club' would live to see another day. I am glad we were wrong.

We know there are changes still to be made, such as List Manager and perhaps more football department changes. I will update the OP as changes occur. Are there any announced changes I have missed?

-In terms of our appointments, how happy are you with them?
-Have we appointed better people than the ones who have left?
-Are you feeling better about the club culture and direction now compared to the end of RD3 '14?
-What changes should still to be made (in your opinion)?
-Are there any of the "OUTS" you think we should have kept on? (and why)
-Where do you think the inspiration came from for all the sudden change?

OUT:
Steven Trigg
Brenton Sanderson
Mark Bickley

Players:
Luke Thompson
Jared Patrenko
Lewis Johnston
Shaun McKernan
Alex Spina
Angus Graham
James Battersby

IN:
Phil Walsh (head coach)
Andrew Fagan (CEO)
Mark Ricciuto (broom operator and general badassery)
Darren Glass (Part-time development)
Ryan O’Keefe (midfield coach)
David Teague (forward coach)
Luke Lowden
Kyle Cheney

I realise there have been individual threads discussing all of the incoming and outgoing personnel, however, I thought the 'Great Broom of 2014' deserved its own thread to look back on in years to come. This is the dawning of a new era for us and these changes could be the foundation of our future success.

Paddy Steinford (Leadership coach) is another out as well.

O'Keefe is listed as a development coach for the midfielders. Campo is still the midfield line coach.

Paddy Steinford (Leadership coach) is another out as well.

O'Keefe is listed as a development coach for the midfielders. Campo is still the midfield line coach.
OP updated - thanks for the extra info. :)

Out of all those that were removed, it is only Battersby that I wished we gave him another year. With that said, the Club obviously knows far better than any of us and would know his strengths and limitations and probably felt that he didnt have the capacity to play AFL.

Agreed. I was surprised when I found out he had been delisted. I thought he did quite well in the reserves, plenty of possessions too. Perhaps not.

OP updated - thanks for the extra info. :)

Agreed. I was surprised when I found out he had been delisted. I thought he did quite well in the reserves, plenty of possessions too. Perhaps not.

If he couldn't make the Swans team this year, he would never get back into the side. Clearly didn't get interest from other clubs, so retirement was the only option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most important change has been changing the off-field - as we were never going to have on-field success under Trigg. Roo has been the driving force behind the change, but Noble is yet to be mentioned in this thread as another key player who as has been promoted (& Harper effectively demoted).

With much needed off-field change, the on-field was sure to follow.

Just so relieved that AFC no longer under control of the mediocrity boys club & we now have people in charge who demand the very best. Success is now a decent chance to follow....

Are you sure Henry? I cant recall seeing this reported anywhere.
Glass effectively replacing Steinfort's leadership role.

Personally prefer to have 1 of the better ex-captains of the AFL teaching leadership...

If he couldn't make the Swans team this year, he would never get back into the side. Clearly didn't get interest from other clubs, so retirement was the only option.

Battersby has retired? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back