The great grand final performances not recognised by a Norm Smith Medal

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
We all know about the Norm Smith Medal. Who has won and why they won. Most if not all have been well deserved. But what about those performances on the biggest day that if not for the award going to others , that should be recognised.

I'd like to start with 3 players and then throw it open.

1985. Dermott Brereton, in any other year, would have got a NSM. 8 goals out of Hawthorn's 14 on the day was basically a lone hand. According to media reports of the time, Brereton finished either 2nd or 3rd in NSM voting that year behind Madden.

1993. Gary O'Donnell. The Essendon utility accumulated the most possessions on the ground that year. Yet somehow missed out on the NSM to Long.

2000. Justin Blumfield. Much like O'Donnell in 1993, Blumfield's onfield performance is arguably 2nd only to Hird on that day.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
1993. Gary O'Donnell. The Essendon utility accumulated the most possessions on the ground that year. Yet somehow missed out on the NSM to Long

O'Donnell's name came to mind as soon as I saw the thread title & he was a bit unlucky, but I have always thought Longy was being rewarded for his performances throughout the finals as much as he was for his game that day, which was pretty damn good anyway.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
This guy:

218668.jpg

Cashmoney13

Debutant
Jun 26, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
This guy:

218668.jpg

No doubt! one of the most influential grand final performances I have ever seen, Lenny was a worthy winner any other day of the week but goddards game was a bit more damaging for mine

Jason Gram in 2009 was the best player over all 4 quarters IMO and deserved it in a loosing side

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
No doubt! one of the most influential grand final performances I have ever seen, Lenny was a worthy winner any other day of the week but goddards game was a bit more damaging for mine

Jason Gram in 2009 was the best player over all 4 quarters IMO and deserved it in a loosing side
Yep, Gram tied in the voting in 2009 but missed out on a countback.

Goddard in 2010 was just huge. He and Lenny just tried to put our team on their shoulders and lift them over the line, but weren't quite able to do it.

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I still think there were at least three or four North players better than Archer in 1996.

Dude, lose with dignity.

Not even sure why this is starting to pop up. Never heard this line until recently.

Scoreboard flattered Freo in the end. Umps had nothing to do with their loss. A little choking goal kicking was the only help we got outside of how we played ourselves.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
1985. Dermott Brereton, in any other year, would have got a NSM. 8 goals out of Hawthorn's 14 on the day was basically a lone hand. According to media reports of the time, Brereton finished either 2nd or 3rd in NSM voting that year behind Madden..
1993. Kernahan kicks 7.4 in a team that only kicks 13 for the day.

We all know about the Norm Smith Medal. Who has won and why they won. Most if not all have been well deserved. But what about those performances on the biggest day that if not for the award going to others , that should be recognised.

1993. Gary O'Donnell. The Essendon utility accumulated the most possessions on the ground that year. Yet somehow missed out on the NSM to Long.

That was one of the first games of football I can remember really watching (living in QLD will do that to you), so I will admit I was no student of the game, but I still remember Michael Long's performance really stuck out for me.

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
Only because its my team and I did notice, but Kane Cornes destroyed Simon Black in 2004. Black smashed the Pies in 03, but Cornes played the perfect run with game in a way that only Ling could play and Crowley could only dream of.
Obviously was never going to win the NM tho.

Back